Yahama 6180 & Bose A10 Series IV

G

Goldthumb

Audiophyte
I don't know if this is just me or not. New to this technology. I just purchased Sharp Auqos, Yahama 6180 and the bose Accoustimas A10 Series IV speaker set. To get good sound I really have to turn up the volume very high. Is this something new with these receivers?

I have a Kenwood surround sound system that rocks in another room. However, the new system is in the basement and much larger room. I still like my Kenwood sound.

I find the base on the Bose speaker set to be very low. Did I make the wrong choice? The sales person told me that If I want, I can come back and get the Harmon Kardon AVR 254 in exchange for the Yamaha 6180. By reading some threads I noticed that some other people are having the same problems in gettting with sound. I still have some days left to return the systems and buy something that makes sense. Can someone let me know what would be the best combination with the Bose A10 Series IV. I invested in the brackets and wiring for the speaker set and would like to keep them. Which receiver would be the best to go with them? Yamaha or Harman Kardon?

Please help....

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Good choice on the TV and the Receiver. Not so much on the speakers. Sorry, Bose is a four letter word here.

Did you run YPAO, Yamaha's auto calibration?

Not sure what you mean by turning the volume really high. -30 to -20 is not unusual, especially if it's in a large room.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I hate to say this but if you're going to trade in something I'd make it the Bose. I don't want to trash your system so I won't say more other than to say that there are other bookshelf systems people on here could suggest or look under the "what to buy" section or read some of the reviews.

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
Hate to agree with everyone but I'm going to, the Bose is the thing to get rid of. It's called a bass module and not a sub woofer for a reason, they just don't dig down low and give you that real bass feeling. The little 2" drivers aren't really good at producing mid range either. I'm going to guess that you spent around a $1000 just on the speakers, and for that you can get much better systems for your money. There are some killer EMP sales going on now in the Audioholics store, or you could take a look at SVS's speaker systems. They are pretty good and start around that price range.

I under stand that you spent good money and that you don't want to waste that money but I'm pretty sure that you would be much more satisfied with different speakers and not a different receiver. If you can take back the wires and the brackets too that would be the best thing to do. Sorry to say.

Good Luck

G

Goldthumb

Audiophyte
Thank you so much

For the volume what I mean is that most of the systems rock at -20 however I have to turn my up to +3 before I can enjoy the sound.

Yes, I spent around 1000 just for the speakers and the brackets and wires were extra. I need the wire, so I guess I can return the speaker system.

When buying my system, I was given the choice of Energy speakers or the Bose. I guess I made the wrong choice. I should have taken the Energy speakers.

Moving forward, I am limited to what the retailer can offer. The choices that they have are: Energy; Infinity; Bose. The system was purchased at BestBuy. Should I get Harman Kardon & Energy Speakers? Or just the speakers?

Also, I am thinking that since the yamaha is a 7.2 I can purchase another woofer to get the bass and 2 side towers to get he sound that I need. Would that be a good choice?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The Energy is a much better choice. Towers, if they are in your budget, would be the way to go as well.
The dual subs may be more than you need. that's a personal preference.
If you do decide to go with two subs it would be wise to make them identical as despite the .2 designation the reciever will not allow separate crossover settings. It really doesn't recognize that you have two subs.
I have a feeling the volume issue is due to the Bose. +3 on my Yamaha would be deafening, I think, I've never had it that high. I have it limited to zero, and that's real loud.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
For the volume what I mean is that most of the systems rock at -20 however I have to turn my up to +3 before I can enjoy the sound.

Yes, I spent around 1000 just for the speakers and the brackets and wires were extra. I need the wire, so I guess I can return the speaker system.

When buying my system, I was given the choice of Energy speakers or the Bose. I guess I made the wrong choice. I should have taken the Energy speakers.

Moving forward, I am limited to what the retailer can offer. The choices that they have are: Energy; Infinity; Bose. The system was purchased at BestBuy. Should I get Harman Kardon & Energy Speakers? Or just the speakers?

Also, I am thinking that since the yamaha is a 7.2 I can purchase another woofer to get the bass and 2 side towers to get he sound that I need. Would that be a good choice?
When did BB start carrying Infinity? I don't see it on their website, and I was just at BB this weekend getting some last minute shopping in and I didn't see Infinity in their regular audio section, or in the Magnolia section.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
When did BB start carrying Infinity? I don't see it on their website, and I was just at BB this weekend getting some last minute shopping in and I didn't see Infinity in their regular audio section, or in the Magnolia section.
Never mind. I just checked the BB Canada website and they do have Infinity.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
The Energy is a much better choice. Towers, if they are in your budget, would be the way to go as well.
The dual subs may be more than you need. that's a personal preference.
If you do decide to go with two subs it would be wise to make them identical as despite the .2 designation the reciever will not allow separate crossover settings. It really doesn't recognize that you have two subs.
I have a feeling the volume issue is due to the Bose. +3 on my Yamaha would be deafening, I think, I've never had it that high. I have it limited to zero, and that's real loud.
I have my Yammy limited to -15, at which point it is excruciatingly loud - rarely, and I mean rarely have I ever had to go above -20 when listening to most audio sources. Check the input levels on the Yamaha as well, under the Input menu - that's used to calibrate the incoming signals so that they are all at the relative same strength for playback level. Could have it set to -6 (range is -6 to +6 dB). ??? Just a thought.

And... FWIW, I'll chime in on the Bose setup - you would have done yourself a major service by coming here before your purchase; you've simply been suckered by the hype, but hey - it's a learning experience. If you can take them back, I would definitely choose the Energy or even the Infinities over the Bose any day. For the price, as someone mentioned, you should also check out the SVS 5.1 packages on the SVS website. ;)

G

Goldthumb

Audiophyte
Thanks to all for your inputs. I just got back from BB with a long discussion with my sales person. I had to get him to agree to the following. After the 28 of this month, I can return my Yamaha 6180 and Bose speakers and get a full refund for the following system:

1. Harman Kardon 254, 7.1
2. Energy Speaker Set
3. They will take back the 8" sub from the speaker set
4. I will have to pay 100 extra to get the Velodyne Subwoofer (DSP-12B)

Now, Can someone please tell me if this system will sound better then the Bose (I know it will) & Yamaha. Should I really return the Yamaha for the Harman Kardon?

However, I need someone's honest opinion because this is the only time I have. No other exchanges and returns after this. My 30 days will have expired.

I really can't afford towers right now. I will have to wait for a deal but can always add on later.

I am going to Pittsburg in Jan and I will try and see if I can pick up towers there. Does anyone know of a store in Pittsburg where I can purchase good quality speakers/towers for a deal.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Those receiver models are not in the same league. The Yamaha is far superior.
If you're getting the Harman for far less it may be OK, but there really isn't much comparison between the two.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You don't need to return the Yamaha receiver, because it's not the problem. I prefer Yamaha receivers only for the reason that they have a better track record with reliability. Harman Kardon refurbs plague ebay, if that doesn't say something about them I don't know what does. The Yamaha is also in a different price class.

The Bose is 100% of your problem. Take the Bose back and get your money back.

If it is the Energy Take Classic set then it is actually quite nice, and the subwoofer is far better than what comes with the Bose as are the other speakers. You might actually give that subwoofer a shot before exchanging it for the Velodyne. That's not to say the Velodyne won't be better, just that it might not be absolutely necessary for your purposes to return the Energy subwoofer.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Energy-Speakers-Take-Classic-Home-Theater-Speaker-Package-TAKECLASSIC/sem/rpsm/oid/216791/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If that salesman takes the Yamaha and Bose back and gives you the H/K w/Energy speakers and charges you $100 for the Velodyne then he is taking a large chunk of your money and running around with it passing it out to whoever he sees because he basically is stealing well over $500 from you.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I had to get him to agree to the following. After the 28 of this month, I can return my Yamaha 6180 and Bose speakers and get a full refund for the following system:
Why do you have to wait so long?
Are they just trying to run out the clock, on the 30 day return?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Why do you have to wait so long?
Are they just trying to run out the clock, on the 30 day return?
I bet you are right. That dealer is trying to screw him over. I'd tell that dealer to shove something up an orifice best not mentioned here.

G

Goldthumb

Audiophyte
Thanks guys... Totally appreciate it.

Ok, the final action that I will be taking is the following on my system:

1. Keep the Yamaha 6180
2. Get the energy speakers, Yes, they are classic with a 8" sub.

I will try this out... As I trust what you are saying then I should be happy with the sound.

Alright, now, I used ypao to setup the bose speakers, I guess I will have to setup the speakers again.

Thanks so much

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ok, the final action that I will be taking is the following on my system:

1. Keep the Yamaha 6180
2. Get the energy speakers, Yes, they are classic with a 8" sub.

I will try this out... As I trust what you are saying then I should be happy with the sound.

Alright, now, I used ypao to setup the bose speakers, I guess I will have to setup the speakers again.

Thanks so much
Good luck, I hope your dealer doesn't try to pull any fast ones on you. If you return the Bose within the return policy you should actually get money back. What's the name of the place you are buying this stuff from?

G

Goldthumb

Audiophyte
Good luck, I hope your dealer doesn't try to pull any fast ones on you. If you return the Bose within the return policy you should actually get money back. What's the name of the place you are buying this stuff from?
The place is Best Buy in Canada. Initally, I was going to purchase the Yamaha 6160 and the Engery Classic speakers for 1499 CDN. However, he said to take the Yamaha 6180 & Bose speakers within the same price. So I did. Now, that I want the Energy speakers should I be getting money back? He said because he gave me the 6180 he is willing to do an exchange for the speakers. I don't know, am I getting ripped off?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Something seems overly complicated here.

How about: Return what you don't want for cash back. Buy what you want.

No chance of getting ripped off then.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Check your receipt (maybe the back) I've heard they have a 15% re-stocking fee.
I don't use BB so I'm not 100% sure if that's true.

IMHO I'd return this stuff ASAP, otherwise you'll be stuck in line with all the after holiday returns. Sounds like you are doing that. (beating the rush)
Good Luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis