XMB on PS3 vs other Sony Blu Ray players

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have a couple of PS3s and a Sony BDP-S370 blu ray player, and while I love my PS3s they lack some of the features found on the stand alone player. The blu ray player has apps like Pandora, Slacker, Amazon VOD, YouTube, etc... how come these same apps aren't also available on the PS3? I know some things like Netflix and Hulu Plus are available on both, but why does the PS3 lack the apps that the stand alone units have? I would use my PS3 more if it had these other apps, and I know they can add them via firmware.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...why does the PS3 lack the apps that the stand alone units have?
Maybe it's due to competition? The PS3 has it's own music service (Qriocity) and has Vudu for movies.

I know that you can do YouTube and Pandora from their browser, but I agree that apps would be easier.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe it's due to competition? The PS3 has it's own music service (Qriocity) and has Vudu for movies.

I know that you can do YouTube and Pandora from their browser, but I agree that apps would be easier.
but don't you have to pay for music on Qriocity? Panora and Slacker are free streaming services, and I can't stand PS3's crappy web browser, so I'd just use my media PC instead, but having a remote is easier than walking to my mouse/keyboard when I need to change songs or whatever.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They aren't on the PS3 because they are licenced for the stand alone players and not the PS3...yet. Did you notice the new area in the PS3 with 3.7 that is called "services" and shows what looks like an area to manage various accounts, possibly for "app" type use. Also, Netflix was broken out into a separate menu area from Video, which presumably will be where these other apps/services will now reside.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I did notice that. You would think they would have had these apps or services on the PS3 a long time ago, but I guess the PS3 didn't need any more incentives to sell it, but it still can't hurt, especially in a declining market.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis