Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Why would it matter if it can handle 240v? For US sales that's useless.
I know, but someone should not argue in saying that both products are identical when they're not. That could mislead some newbie who is not familiar with the technicalities of amplifiers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know, but someone should not argue in saying that both products are identical when they're not. That could mislead some newbie who is not familiar with the technicalities of amplifiers.
Well he said "looked identical to me" which is a decent qualifier. Who knows? You don't....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Why would it matter if it can handle 240v? For US sales that's useless.
You say that for US sales that's useless. As a matter of fact, any electronic product using a universal power supply like the Carver is better protected against power surges than the one which is designed to be connected specifically to a 120v outlet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I meant more do you know what's inside? There is gear that is capable of both but not provided for both voltages externally, isn't there? I've yet to have an issue due to power surge so far....

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I meant more do you know what's inside? There is gear that is capable of both but not provided for both voltages externally, isn't there? I've yet to have an issue due to power surge so far....
I have(own) a dual voltage Denon POA 2200, and a single voltage Denon POA 2200. Both Japan Made.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
One thing for sure, one has a universal power supply and the other doesn't have one. I just took the info which is available on websites.

About the gear that is capable of both but not provided for both voltages externally, it doesn't have as good a protection as a switchable universal power supply against surges.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thing for sure, one has a universal power supply and the other doesn't have one. I just took the info which is available on websites.

About the gear that is capable of both but not provided for both voltages externally, it doesn't have as good a protection as a switchable universal power supply against surges.

As in a switch that automatically accounts for voltage available? Like power conditioners...only so much use on an amp's power supply....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
As in a switch that automatically accounts for voltage available? Like power conditioners...only so much use on an amp's power supply....
Maybe I went too fast in stating that the Carver had a switching universal power supply. There could be an internal switch for the voltage. The power amps operate in the Class H topology with switching voltage rails at the output stage however.

I don't see why a universal power supply would not be installed on amplifiers. Of course, it's more costly to install but it would provide more protection apart from the utility of being used almost everywhere.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis