XLR pre-outs opens options for pro-gear.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Pro-Audio subs with xlr-inputs. HPF outputs!

Powered monitors.

Anybody doing this?

An add from an online retailer about a Pro-sub peaked my interest. I looked at the back of the unit, and the xlr-inputs got me to thinking. BIG power from a pro-sub. This particular unit was 1020W/800W continuous!

Most of these powered subs are a fraction of the cost of HT subs. I am noticing a low-end frequency response limitation upon the initial research.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Powered monitors.

Anybody doing this?

An add from an online retailer about a Pro-sub peaked my interest. I looked at the back of the unit, and the xlr-inputs got me to thinking. BIG power from a pro-sub. This particular unit was 1020W/800W continuous!

Most of these powered subs are a fraction of the cost of HT subs. I am noticing a low-end frequency response limitation upon the initial research.
Yeah! Most of them don't reach as low as the audiophile stuff!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah! Most of them don't reach as low as the audiophile stuff!
But for me, 40Hz is more than low enough. I could care less about rap type super low bass music, or super low frequencies in a movie. 99% of my listening is either REAL musical instruments in ROCK music, or a ROCK concert dvd.

I have a very strong feeling that an 18" 800w powered sub with an LF of 40Hz will mop the floor with ANY HT powered sub at anywhere near the same price-point under my listening preferences.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Powered monitors.

Anybody doing this?

I don't think the following Pro Audio Sub manufacturers' products are that cheap: JBL, Danley or QSC.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In my book, woofers that don't go lower than 30 Hz at -3dB or less are not subwoofers, period!

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
In my book, woofers that don't go lower than 30 Hz at -3dB or less are not subwoofers, period!
I think anything below 60ish hertz is sub bass though, right? Some subs that are tuned too low, may also have compromises on the fidelity side of things, especially if the main speakers are not chosen so carefully in which o compensate. That can also lead to compromises, such as why we may utilize separate subwoofers to relieve the mains in the first place. Often times, while studying the goals often outlined by the subwoofer heads, they are so enamored with the lowest possible bass, that SQ at the upper range of their usage is not even thought of, or mentioned much, at least.

I use subs tuned to the mid 30's. I hear frequencies down to 20hz with them though. Rolled off? Sure, but it seems to coincide what would be a natural roll-off at those frequencies anyway. In other words, with music, a little bass below 30hz goes a long way in a normal sized room.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I think anything below 60ish hertz is sub bass though, right? Some subs that are tuned too low, may also have compromises on the fidelity side of things, especially if the main speakers are not chosen so carefully in which o compensate. That can also lead to compromises, such as why we may utilize separate subwoofers to relieve the mains in the first place. Often times, while studying the goals often outlined by the subwoofer heads, they are so enamored with the lowest possible bass, that SQ at the upper range of their usage is not even thought of, or mentioned much, at least.

I use subs tuned to the mid 30's. I hear frequencies down to 20hz with them though. Rolled off? Sure, but it seems to coincide what would be a natural roll-off at those frequencies anyway. In other words, with music, a little bass below 30hz goes a long way in a normal sized room.
IMO, bass down to a frequency of 32 Hz or so can be handled by a good woofer. Frequencies lower than this have to be handled with efficiency and that is why subwoofers were developed less than 40 years ago IIRC.

The vented cabinets containing my three front subs are tuned to 16 Hz, so I can get a satisfactory response to that frequency without having the risk of damaging the drivers. I wanted a decent response to that low frequency which corresponds to the fundamental resonance of a 32 foot organ pipe.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, bass down to a frequency of 32 Hz or so can be handled by a good woofer. Frequencies lower than this have to be handled with efficiency and that is why subwoofers were developed less than 40 years ago IIRC.

The vented cabinets containing my three front subs are tuned to 16 Hz, so I can get a satisfactory response to that frequency without having the risk of damaging the drivers. I wanted a decent response to that low frequency which corresponds to the fundamental resonance of a 32 foot pipe on the organ.
I can agree enough with that. I recall using, and still own speakers with very capable woofers. I have realized some trade-offs using subwoofers for music though. The amount of space they take up for such a limited purpose, for starters. I hook my 3-ways up and they handle everything music throws at them with authority. I hear/feel the lowest pipe organ vibes that have been mentioned here and elsewhere. I came to the conclusion that it doesn't happen frequently enough when I venture into classical music, and none in the music I listen to, for it to be worth the space or cost in my situation. The two 12" subs I have in this room are still overkill and the only thing that saves them is, the space they are in was unusable anyway.

HT is another separate ball of wax from my use of audio so, I can understand the video heads want for them there. In that way, I am fortunate that I only need be concerned with music because it is much easier, IMO.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But for me, 40Hz is more than low enough. I could care less about rap type super low bass music, or super low frequencies in a movie. 99% of my listening is either REAL musical instruments in ROCK music, or a ROCK concert dvd.

I have a very strong feeling that an 18" 800w powered sub with an LF of 40Hz will mop the floor with ANY HT powered sub at anywhere near the same price-point under my listening preferences.
I think as long as it sounds like great subwoofer bass to you, then it's good.

Are the pro-subs pretty ugly looking just like all the pro-amps ? :D

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I think as long as it sounds like great subwoofer bass to you, then it's good.

Are the pro-subs pretty ugly looking just like all the pro-amps ? :D
Yep. Noticed how they act tonight at the skating rink with the kiddo's. They don't dig down very low. Peavey at the rink though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis