wtf am I missing with the set up.....Denon AVR-4200

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
After running Audussey I had to manually tweak the settings to change fronts from Large to Small to get subs working properly.

Btw, you don't have wifi? If you do it's better to connect over AirPlay instead of Bluetooth and you can also be anywhere in the house controlling your music.

H

hextall27

Audioholic
After running Audussey I had to manually tweak the settings to change fronts from Large to Small to get subs working properly.

Btw, you don't have wifi? If you do it's better to connect over AirPlay instead of Bluetooth and you can also be anywhere in the house controlling your music.

I went in and changed the settings too small. Still for some reason my sub isn't working. I did connect they airplay when I did the audussey set up

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
If Audyssey is correctly setup (5.1, 7.1, etc) and you hear a test tone response from the sub it may be settings on the back of your sub.

You can also try different sound modes like Stereo, All Channels, DTS, etc. I think in Pure Direct mode there's no signal going to the subs. Sorry I only had my Marantz for a month so I'm winging it here by memory.

H

hextall27

Audioholic
If Audyssey is correctly setup (5.1, 7.1, etc) and you hear a test tone response from the sub it may be settings on the back of your sub.

You can also try different sound modes like Stereo, All Channels, DTS, etc. I think in Pure Direct mode there's no signal going to the subs. Sorry I only had my Marantz for a month so I'm winging it here by memory.
It's set on Dolby surround and I have no clue how too change it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did run it and everything went well with that. I messed with the settings and got that figured out for the most part. Now the sub isn't working at all. When I Bluetooth Apple Music it only plays thru the center channel
WTF do you mean you "messed with the settings"? :) I doubt you've got a lot figured out or you wouldn't continue your spaced out postings....Just sayin'. Who the hell wants to use bluetooth? Let alone Apple? :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ps sorry if the answers seem a bit aggressive...I'm trying to assimilate the drumpf state of mind

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
It's set on Dolby surround and I have no clue how too change it
In regards to not getting bass, double check the back of your subwoofer and make sure the Low Pass Filter dial is turned all the way clockwise to LFE and the Phase dial is turned all the way back counter-clockwise to 0 degrees or if there's switches do the same. This allows your Denon/Audyssey to control the bass signal. Turn subwoofer volume to 50% and run Audyssey again. If still no bass then say "WTF!" as loud as you can until the neighbors can hear, hopefully we don't have to go there.

Last edited:
Bigair224

Bigair224

Enthusiast
I'm kinda new and don't know if I can help much or if you want to listen. I had a similar issue when I had my LG TV hooked up to my Sony receiver utilizing the ARC HDMI on both units. I for some reason could not get any solid audio to play from my TV to the receiver. It would cut in and out through my surround when it would play. What I did to fix my problem was went and bought an optical cable. I now have no issues with my 5.1.

M

mapex636

Audiophyte
Did you end up figuring out the problem? I just purchased a Denon AVR-x4000. I am only currently running stereo sound with my 2 front speakers and a subwoofer. I used Audyssey to calibrate everything and I am still having a similar problem. When watching TV or using any volume through my cable box, the sound is super low. When I switch to music through my iPhone at the same volume level I nearly blow the windows out of the house. I understand different devices have different internal volume levels but playing just through my cable box my volume is 3/4 of the way up just to hear it.

I tried switching cables. I tried using the optic cable for audio. I tried many settings and even spent an hour on the phone with Denon customer support and can't figure it out. I'd really like to think this is just a setting somewhere or a mistake on my part. Any help is appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@mapex636 Did you adjust the cable box's input level setting? Think my Denon 4520 is similar menu, on mine Setup menu - inputs - source level.

M

mapex636

Audiophyte
Yeah all levels are turned up. I'm having many problems with this AVR. Not just this, but it also turns off randomly, and maybe it's just me but I also can't figure out how to get half the other options to work. I'm in the process of returning it now and in the market for a new one. At this point I'm looking for almost anything with pre-outs for my amp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah all levels are turned up. I'm having many problems with this AVR. Not just this, but it also turns off randomly, and maybe it's just me but I also can't figure out how to get half the other options to work. I'm in the process of returning it now and in the market for a new one. At this point I'm looking for almost anything with pre-outs for my amp.
If it works with other sources then the problem is likely not within the AVR. If it is some settings being messed up, the quickest way to eliminate that concern is to re-initialize the processor. The instruction for that is in the instruction manual. After a processor reset/re-initialize, I suggest you try to get everything to work first before running Audyssey again. I hope you would give that a go before returning it. For replacement, I highly recommend the AVR-X4200W that has been reported in recent days to hit as low as $799 for brand new.

Last edited:
vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
I'm having many problems with this AVR. Not just this, but it also turns off randomly, and maybe it's just me but I also can't figure out how to get half the other options to work.
Perfect candidate for a Factory Reset. If it's like my Marantz you can save most of the settings via web before you reset it but I wouldn't bother, best to configure it from scratch.

I had a flaky issue last night trying to run Audyssey it stopped at the very beginning after the subwoofer test tone. Shutting off power didn't help but disconnecting the power cord for a few seconds fixed it. Those bits/bytes get mixed up sometimes just one of those unexplainable things.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, good to start with a simple soft reset (unplugging it) as that will keep settings, but sometimes you need a full microprocessor/factory reset (and only a relative few allow you to save them by other than writing them down :) ).

M

mapex636

Audiophyte
Yeah I did all that. Even called their customer service and did a bunch of troubleshooting with no luck. And it's not the cable box itself because it works fine with other AVRs. Maybe it is just a setting that neither me or their customer service can find but this AVR has been nothing but headache since I got it. I got it for a good price and figured the price would make up for not having wifi or Bluetooth. Given the other problems, it's not worth it now. Just going to get a new one with all the options I originally wanted.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I did all that. Even called their customer service and did a bunch of troubleshooting with no luck. And it's not the cable box itself because it works fine with other AVRs. Maybe it is just a setting that neither me or their customer service can find but this AVR has been nothing but headache since I got it. I got it for a good price and figured the price would make up for not having wifi or Bluetooth. Given the other problems, it's not worth it now. Just going to get a new one with all the options I originally wanted.
Was this a brand new unit or ?

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
Yep throw in the towel on that one. I had a similar experience with an Onkyo I kept working on it over couple months when time allowed I probably tried 10 different attempts. Come to find out it was a manufacturer recall, I couldn't stop laughing after all the struggles trying to do the impossible, the issue was no sound and lost of network connectivity.

M

mapex636

Audiophyte
This was a refurb from Accessories for Less. I've never had a problem with refurbished items in the past so I'm not about to necessarily blame it on that. Likely just a dud. Oh well, it is what it is. The hunt continues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This was a refurb from Accessories for Less. I've never had a problem with refurbished items in the past so I'm not about to necessarily blame it on that. Likely just a dud. Oh well, it is what it is. The hunt continues.
Yep, return it. I had two bad Denon refurbs that had similar issues (4520 model), went new after that experience and no problem.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis