WP Article on World,s Best Audio System

F

FIqbal

Audioholic Intern
One has to be utterly insane or close to build a system like this. The story is also about his family's sacrifice above all our morality and failings. Nothing is permanent in life and everything comes to an end including one of a kind system built over life.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Here is a Youtube video about his stereo. Insane overkill, but looks like a nice system, however line arrays never image sharply. I think that is why he has a center in his stereo.
That room is very large, and he is 24' to 25' from the speakers. That changes the equation greatly from the small room situation.

In a large hall, I did do a line source system and it worked well and did image. So I think there must be a line length distance ratio at work.

If you are in a large room, it basically comes down to using horn loaded speakers or lots of drivers. The line source is probably the better choice.

I do agree that if you have the opportunity to design the room as part of the system, it is a huge plus. I had that chance here, and I think it really paid dividends.

That turntable was insane. Going all class A I think was not a sensible choice. He electric bill must be cololosal. That turntable was insane, and going beyond the pointless stage.

Anyhow, after that chap I'm good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This system makes the rounds on audio fora/groups fairly regularly. At least he doesn't go for silly speaker wire IIRC.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn’t say “best”, but I would say “passionate”. :D

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
He's family recoup 156k. Sold off the towers for a little over 10k.

highfigh

highfigh

I wouldn’t pay $10K for those speakers. :D

And people say my SVT towers are too big. :eek: Jeez. :D
Have you listened to the original Infinity IRS speaker system? I think it's too late for an existing system to have original woofers because at the time (late-'70s), they were having problems with surrounds separating from that particular type of Polypropylene, but they were amazing. Since that time, I would say that the Steinway-Lyngdorf system is the best I have heard.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you listened to the original Infinity IRS speaker system? I think it's too late for an existing system to have original woofers because at the time (late-'70s), they were having problems with surrounds separating from that particular type of Polypropylene, but they were amazing. Since that time, I would say that the Steinway-Lyngdorf system is the best I have heard.
Nope. But there are just too many great sounding systems today to say that ONE system is the best. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Big, its all in the eye of the beholder. If ya gots the space, why not. ;)
Not just about money or space. Doesn't matter if I'm a trilliionaire and my room is 50' x 100'.

It's also about aesthetics. :D

it's natural to justify what we did - how much time and money we spent. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Not just about money or space. Doesn't matter if I'm a trilliionaire and my room is 50' x 100'.

It's also about aesthetics. :D

it's natural to justify what we did - how much time and money we spent. :D
So very true. It all plays into the decision. Be it audio, furniture, cars a home the clothes ya wear. Its personal.

highfigh

highfigh

Nope. But there are just too many great sounding systems today to say that ONE system is the best. :D
I didn't write that anything is the best, I wrote 'best I have heard". Why was that difficult to understand? Claiming that anything is the best is the best way to make people disagree.

Yeah, I said it. o_O

highfigh

highfigh

Big, its all in the eye of the beholder. If ya gots the space, why not. ;)
And the money- "I own a warehouse, but I can't afford to put anything inside" doesn't work very well unless someone just wants a big, empty space.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't write that anything is the best, I wrote 'best I have heard". Why was that difficult to understand? Claiming that anything is the best is the best way to make people disagree.

Yeah, I said it. o_O
My bad. :D

It's snowing outside. I'm half asleep. Read your post, but was still thinking about that original post of the giant speakers and how the owner said he thinks his speakers are the "best in the world".

So I was replying to his comment, not your post. What happens when I'm half asleep. Now I just ate lunch and I'm still half asleep. Still snowing. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So very true. It all plays into the decision. Be it audio, furniture, cars a home the clothes ya wear. Its personal.
Yeah. After looking at these blue-eye beauties, I bet they sound 100% better than those giant speakers - even when the music isn't playing. :D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I heard a pair of Infinity IRS speakers in an audio store inside a mall back in 1980 or so. They were positioned near the open front entrance so you could hear them outside of the store. Fantastic compared to my large Advents at the time but I'm not sure they sounded better than my friends 2 pair of large Magnepan speakers. Of course, they were in a store in a mall, so they probably sounded better when set up properly at home.

highfigh

highfigh

I heard a pair of Infinity IRS speakers in an audio store inside a mall back in 1980 or so. They were positioned near the open front entrance so you could hear them outside of the store. Fantastic compared to my large Advents at the time but I'm not sure they sounded better than my friends 2 pair of large Magnepan speakers. Of course, they were in a store in a mall, so they probably sounded better when set up properly at home.
Those Magnapans couold never provide the low end of the IRS. I heard them in a basement room at th e Consumer Electronics Show around the same time you heard them- the rest of the system was:

Audio Research preamp
Conrad-Johnson Premier One power amp (200W/channel)
Otari open reel using 1/2" tape

They played sounds from trains and, having hung out near RR tracks as a kid, I can tell you that it wa very realistic. The room was probably 40' x 50' x 15' high.

highfigh

highfigh

My bad. :D

It's snowing outside. I'm half asleep. Read your post, but was still thinking about that original post of the giant speakers and how the owner said he thinks his speakers are the "best in the world".

So I was replying to his comment, not your post. What happens when I'm half asleep. Now I just ate lunch and I'm still half asleep. Still snowing. :D
I was like that yesterday- power went out the night before just after 8PM and didn't come on until just before 10AM. I have battery powered lanterns, but went to bed early and woke around 3AM. didn't go to sleep by 4AM, so I got up, reheated some leftover coffee (I make 12 cups) and had a bit of breakfast and got ready to go out. I shoveled near the front & side doors as well as about 4' out from the garage door and backed out to get gas for the snowblowers & van, then drove a bit, to see if WE Energies had any crews in the area. Not a single one. They also didn't answer the phone, so I could tell them I had seen bright flashes and heard arcing. Checked a fair area of the city where I live and on the way back, saw a friend digging his way out and stopped to chat before going home. Waited until just before 7AM to start using the snowblower and that was no easy task- the ground was warm when the snow fell, so the bottom 2"-3" was mode slush than snow and it was like heavy mashed potatoes. Three hours later, I was done, although I did help a neighbor with her main sidewalk and driveway- she's 73 and going through some health issues. Went to the store and power was on just before I returned. Then, I went out again- the city plow came through and loaded the double wide driveway apron with slush about 1/2 hour before the wind kicked up and the temperature dropped. Yeah, that was fun.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis