Would you be able to drive a pair of speaker using a single monoblock amp?

K

kurnitb

Enthusiast
Would you be able to drive a pair of speaker using a single monoblock amp? Sorry if this is a silly question.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Would you be able to drive a pair of speaker using a single monoblock amp? Sorry if this is a silly question.
It seems Welcome is in order:)

Then, why do you want to do this? What speakers and which monoblock?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Short answer: maybe.

It is generally not a great idea, but if done correctly it could work out fine.

What amp, what speakers, what is your goal?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
As others have asked, what do you want to accomplish. You would need to understand the result would be a monoaural signel - exactly the same thing emanating from both speakers. The major issue is that the impedance load on the amplifier would be cut in half. That means the speakers would draw more current from the amplifier which could be a problem for the amp, the speakers or both. As others have said above, it is doable with the right equipment. But you need to understand that two channel input would become monaural. It is an unusual thing to want to do.

K

kurnitb

Enthusiast
Thank you all for your relies. My speakers are b&w cdm 7nt and the monoblock is the classe audio m-400.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
That Monoblock was about 5k new and still likely worth a decent chunk of change. Have you considered selling it and buying a stereo amp?
Cheers, Mac

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you all for your relies. My speakers are b&w cdm 7nt and the monoblock is the classe audio m-400.
Yes, you can drive those speakers with that ąmplifier. However, the sound will be mono rather than stereo. You would probably be better off getting a stereo power ąmp (or a second M-400), though it depends on what, exactly, you are trying to do.

K

kurnitb

Enthusiast
I'm considering to get one, I was wondering whether it would be okay for my system to have it run one speaker through the monoblock and another straight from my denon avr3805(plan is to preamplifier out to the ca-m400, while I try to find another ca-m400. Thanks guys for all your inputs and feedback

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis