Would this HSU sub be an Upgrade??

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Last year, I purchased my first decent quality sub. Prior to buying the Rthymik F12 I had no sub in my system, and after installing it, I could hear a pretty big difference (all around improvement in music and movies) My requirements at the time where 1- small foot print. 2- sealed sub. 3 - tight and accurate bass for music. 4 - Wanted to stay under 1k.

I do not have room for a second sub.

My room is 12 1/2 feet wide, and the listening area extends back to about 17 feet but then opens to a dining room. Along one of the side walls it opens to a foyer and a den. So, it would seem like, with these openings a lot of bass energy is sucked from the listening area. I have not taken measurements with any kind of mic other then running YPAO.

My question is, keeping in mind my same requirements, do think the HSU ULS-15 MK2 would be an upgrade? Or should I just stick with the Rythmik? Because if I can't sell it locally, boxing this thing up safely and shipping it to a buyer will be PIA for sure. I'm not a total bass nut mind you, just wanted to fill in the bottom end best I could in this room.
Thank you for reading and any advice.

earl

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It will be an upgrade. What does YPAO say? Is it adjusting the sub's level up a lot?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
It will be an upgrade. What does YPAO say? Is it adjusting the sub's level up a lot?

Well, I started with turning the sub volume a little past halfway. YPAO set the sub level at +2db, and of course speakers to large. I set them to small and I am going back and forth between 60hz and 80 hz as the crossover, think I'm going stay with 60hz..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you may get a bit more output with the larger sub, didn't see comparable test figures tho. It may not make a big difference, especially if you're just going to put it in the same spot and play at same levels, but the F12 seems to dig a bit deeper; spec indicates -2dB point is 14Hzwhereas the ULS is -3dB at 20Hz.

What volume levels are you using? Did you try bumping up the sub level a bit from where YPAO set it? In that vein I'd turn up the gain a bit on the sub and have YPAO set it into the negative range to allow for some bumping and staying below 0, my way of minimizing preamp clipping possibilities....

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I think you may get a bit more output with the larger sub, didn't see comparable test figures tho. It may not make a big difference, especially if you're just going to put it in the same spot and play at same levels, but the F12 seems to dig a bit deeper; spec indicates -2dB point is 14Hzwhereas the ULS is -3dB at 20Hz.

What volume levels are you using? Did you try bumping up the sub level a bit from where YPAO set it? In that vein I'd turn up the gain a bit on the sub and have YPAO set it into the negative range to allow for some bumping and staying below 0, my way of minimizing preamp clipping possibilities....
That's an idea, bump up the volume on the sub so YPAO sets it in the negative range. I am gonna do that. I did bump it up to +3.5 db in the menu. I normally don't listen to my system at very loud levels. The sub has 3 damping positions Low, mid, and high damping. I have left it on high so far, as the manual says high damping is best for music. But I'll try mid damping to see if I get more thump for HT.

Thank you guys for the responses

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis