Would this be the tool to buy to cut round holes?

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes that is the tool, as in plunge router. You will need a circle jig though. There are a few companies that make them but the most popular is probbaly the Jasper Jig, this one..

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=365-250

Its kind of a universal fit jig but it wont fit all routers so check to be sure it fits the one you buy.

As for a bit, If you use the jasper jig you need a 1/4" straight cut bit. Usually double fluted.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Would this be the tool to buy to cut round holes? And would it also cut perfect square holes? Is there any other tool I would need for these cuts?

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=113
If you want to cut round holes up to several inches, get a hole saw. I fits in a regular electric drill and has an attachment that holds a bunch sizes of saw blades that are cylindrical with teeth at one end.

See them at http://www.hermanscentral.com/department/hole-saws-cutters-10441.cfm?killnav=1&gclid=CNGywOzL05gCFQFvGgodSVoB1g

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
You can also make that circle jig tool yourself, that is what I did...

I used plexi but you can easily use a piece of thin plywood or just or whatever scrap you find laying around....

Here's what I made for my router...

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
How does that work Warp? I was hoping to find something that could cut a 30+ inch circle because I want to make a sonotube enclsoure with 30 inch sonotube.

Haoleb

Haoleb

How does that work Warp? I was hoping to find something that could cut a 30+ inch circle because I want to make a sonotube enclsoure with 30 inch sonotube.
with a 30" circle you will have to make your own jig. Its pretty easy. determine half the diameter of the circle you want to cut, then measure from far side of the bit out to that di stance and put in a nail or pin and your off.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If you want to cut circles in ¾" or thicker MDF, a plunge router with a circle cutting jig is the best way to go. Rotozips don't have enough power. Hole saws that attach to drills are very slow in MDF, and in something ¾" thick, a hand-held drill may not remain vertical, you would be better off with a drill press.

That DeWalt plunge router you linked is a very good one. If you use a ¼" spiral upcut bit and attach a shop vac to the port built into that router, you will collect nearly all the chips and dust you make. MDF dust is nasty to breathe.

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will go with the DeWalt plunge router. Hey swerd... could you give me a link to that 1/4" spiral upcut bit? All I need is the plunge router and that bit and I am set then right?

Just wondering... is 3/4" birch plywood as good or better than MDF for enclosures?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will go with the DeWalt plunge router. Hey swerd... could you give me a link to that 1/4" spiral upcut bit? All I need is the plunge router and that bit and I am set then right?

Just wondering... is 3/4" birch plywood as good or better than MDF for enclosures?
FYI Bosch routers are sold on ebay by CPO-Bosch for good prices. So you may look that direction too. It comes with both fixed and plunge basis.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

Any ¼" carbide bit will do, but a spiral upcut bit will pull the chips up & away from the work piece better than a straight bit.

I've always worked with MDF for speaker cabinets, but there are people who have used ¾" birch ply with success. If you plan to paint, MDF may have a smoother surface than most plywood. Veneer works well with either.

Don't forget a circle jig. The Jasper Jigs come in several sizes (maybe they have one that works for 30") and are sold by a number of tool dealers and also Parts Express. Or you can make your own.

Last edited:
S

sploo

Full Audioholic
The Dewalt that's been linked looks like it's got slots in the base to take circular rods.

My plunge routers (for the UK market) also have this feature, and come with a simple circle cutting jig (a plate with a point to press into the material, and two 12" long beams that slot into the base).

To cut larger circles I bought a couple of 1m/36" long threaded rods and made a block with a point and two holes to slot the rods into. This means you don't have to make something with a specific base for your router - the only requirement is getting two rods in a block at the right distance apart.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to cut circles in ¾" or thicker MDF, a plunge router with a circle cutting jig is the best way to go. Rotozips don't have enough power. Hole saws that attach to drills are very slow in MDF, and in something ¾" thick, a hand-held drill may not remain vertical, you would be better off with a drill press.

That DeWalt plunge router you linked is a very good one. If you use a ¼" spiral upcut bit and attach a shop vac to the port built into that router, you will collect nearly all the chips and dust you make. MDF dust is nasty to breathe.
Yeah that and always wear mask goggles and good gloves.

VERTIGGO

VERTIGGO

Audioholic Intern
I've seen some crazy drill-bit contraptions as well, if you're trying to save money...

P

popotoys

Audioholic
And would it also cut perfect square holes?
This would not cut perfect squares as the bits are spinning in a circle. You will always have round corners, but you could easily use a jig saw to finish them square. (or a good file)

To cut a square you would also need to make a square jig for the guide.

As a note, I always were a mask (or hold my breath) when working with any type of wood or mdf board.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis