Would like some help setting up my first turntable + speakers

L

Louis Napo

Audiophyte
Hey all,

I am not only new to these forums, I am also new audio in general. I do listen to a lot of music, but I use my Creative T20 2.0 speakers for that and I recently found them lacking in sound quality (the quality that my Sennheiser HD555 headphone does offer).

Last week my parents gave me their record collection and I have been saving some money as well for a turntable and some (hopefully) decent speakers. I have been reading on the subject and I believe the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB is a good choice for a turntable. If this is not right in your eyes, please do tell :) Last week I also read somewhere that that particular turntable has a built-in pre amp, so that it could be plugged into any speakers with RCA input. If this is the case, is there any benefit in using a receiver? Because that way I could save money by not buying a receiver and using that money for better speakers.

I also have been reading about speakers, but there are simply too many for me to get a clear picture of what I should get. My budget for the speakers would be in the area of 300-400$ I am interested in sound quality mainly and 2 speakers should be enough for my small dorm room. If there is any chance, I would like it if I were able to connect my laptop with my speakers (in order to be able to play spotify and the like).

So, i'll summarize my questions for you guys:
- do you believe my best option would be to directly connect my turntable to speakers and don't buy a receiver (just yet). Is there any loss of quality if I refrain from using a dedicated receiver?
- can you advise me any (bookshelf)speakers in the range of 300-400$, preferably with a RCA input?
- if I would buy a receiver, can I just hook them up with my turntable, or do I need a phono output on the receiver? Or is this obsolete due to the pre-amp in the turntable? Are there any good receivers out there for not too much $ that focus on sound quality mainly (I don't need all the extras, tbh).

Anyway, I appreciate it if any of you guys (of girls) would be willing to give me some pointers. Also excuse my English, it is not my first language.

PS: I have a small room. 14"" x 10"" and I listen to any genre of music, from folk to R&B, from jazz to EDM.

L

Louis Napo

Audiophyte
Thank you slipperybidness for the quick response. Good to head that a regular RCA connection will suffice. Do you have any idea how the Audioengine A5+'s compare to similar models from other brands in the same price range? Am I getting decent sound for the buck?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Last week I also read somewhere that that particular turntable has a built-in pre amp, so that it could be plugged into any speakers with RCA input. If this is the case, is there any benefit in using a receiver? Because that way I could save money by not buying a receiver and using that money for better speakers.
Sure, you can connect the turntable directly to powered speakers such as you’re considering. However, if you have anything else you want to connect to the speakers you’ll either have to do a lot of cable swapping or else get some kind of switching device.

I also have been reading about speakers, but there are simply too many for me to get a clear picture of what I should get. My budget for the speakers would be in the area of 300-400$ I am interested in sound quality mainly and 2 speakers should be enough for my small dorm room.
I’d suggest adding a subwoofer to the list. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy or expensive. Anything would be an improvement since computer speakers typically don’t get much below 100 Hz, if that.

If there is any chance, I would like it if I were able to connect my laptop with my speakers (in order to be able to play spotify and the like).
See what I mean? You already have a problem – two music sources, one set of powered speakers.

Are there any good receivers out there for not too much $ that focus on sound quality mainly (I don't need all the extras, tbh).
Most cheap receivers do not focus on sound quality. Actually since you’re primarily interested in powered computer speakers, a receiver is a waste since you won’t be using its amplifiers. All you need is some kind of line-level switching device. Alternately you could use a vintage stereo pre amp. That’s what I’m using with my computer set-up.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

H

hankki

Junior Audioholic
How about connecting the TT to the line in on your soundcard and line out to speakers? Then you can play Spotify without switching any cables. The only thing is you need to set the volume on your speakers and have your PC on 100% volume to get the lowest noise possible.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
OP, powered speakers are good, but only for one source.

If you want more than one source, you will need more than amplified speakers. Some switching will be required and these can be as simple as a line-level switch box from Amazon and proper cables to a receiver, again with proper cables.

As for your worry about "quality", several of my friends find that a Sherwood RX-4105 provides input switching for severl line-level sources, an FM tuner, and adequate, clean power to drive virtually any speaker in your price range you would be considering, many that will easily outperform those Audioengine speakers. ..and it sells for about $100.

If you want to plug virtually any turntable into it without the need for a turntable with a built-in phone preamp, their RX-4109 has a built in phono stage and only costs a few dollars more.

And, yes, it's got the "quality" you need.

Coat2017

Coat2017

Audioholic Intern

Sure, you can connect the turntable directly to powered speakers such as you’re considering.

--- Dumb side question: If a turntable has a built-in preamp, do you need to use powered speakers? Passives don't have enough power behind them? ..... asking for a friend :rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
--- Dumb side question: If a turntable has a built-in preamp, do you need to use powered speakers? Passives don't have enough power behind them? ..... asking for a friend :rolleyes:
A turntable with a built in pre-amp allows you to use a receiver/pre-amp that has no phono pre-amp stage of its own (i.e. you can use any line level input such units have). You couldn't connect a turntable with just a phono pre-amp to passive speakers, the phono pre-amp stage doesn't have sufficient power on it's own, you need further ampification.

Coat2017

Coat2017

Audioholic Intern
A turntable with a built in pre-amp allows you to use a receiver/pre-amp that has no phono pre-amp stage of its own (i.e. you can use any line level input such units have). You couldn't connect a turntable with just a phono pre-amp to passive speakers, the phono pre-amp stage doesn't have sufficient power on it's own, you need further ampification.
Got it... so you need a receiver/amp whether you have a TT with/ without the preamp? Just determines which input you must use

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got it... so you need a receiver/amp whether you have a TT with/ without the preamp? Just determines which input you must use
Yes, not all modern receivers have built-in phono pre-amp circuit, so some newer turntables come with a built-in phono pre-amp to allow use with such. When I got my first turntable I don't think any were offered with a built-in phono pre-amp, as it was normal for a receiver or pre-amp (the type to use with a power amp) to have such built-in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis