Worth a Sub Upgrade?

mleuba

mleuba

Enthusiast
Hi All,

I was at a friends house and he has the (virtually) same AV receiver as I do (Integra) but his systems sounds richer in my opinion. He selected Definitive Technology speakers, and I have the B&W CM-7 series with CM-1 center, CM-5 rears, and a Velodyne Mini-Vee sub. I like the B&W's natural sound and I am wondering if the relatively cheap sub is holding my system back. Thinking of upgrading to JL Audio F110's. Opinions? Will the sub upgrade improve my system noticeably? I'm interested primarily in music.

Thanks,
Mark

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My guess is that "richer" indicates a fuller midrange. I doubt that a sub will improve on that "richness" per se, but you'll probably notice a stronger low end that has a bit more punch.

This could contribute to how you hear the midrange, but not necessarily. Could also be the content he or you put through your systems. Better quality recordings, or better mixed tracks could be a contributing factors as well.

Best way to figure it out is to bring over yours or his speakers and do an A/B same room, same placement. Play the exact same content and maybe bring your receiver so that you can do some quick switching. It's a lot of effort, but it's something that I would do before I go out and try to fix a problem I haven't necessarily identified yet.

You may learn a few things about both sets of speakers that weren't apparent before. You may find that you don't like the B&Ws as much as you thought, or you may find that the differences you heard were in your head. Who's to know unless you try :p

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
Which def techs does he have? and how is the room acoustics compared to yours. Def. techs and B&W totally different animals per se.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The JL Audio f110 is a huge step up in performance, but I'm not sure you'd want only a 10" even if it's the best 10" in the world. I suggest the 12 inch at least. Also consider the SB series from SVS. FWIW you can get a lot better performance if you have the floor space from a properly ported design. SVS is pretty much the safe bet these days. JL Audio is obviously no slouch either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis