Worst Period In Rock/Pop Music History???

annunaki

annunaki

I hate country music. Unfortunately, my wife likes it :rolleyes: ! I have forgiven here of her sin though. :p

It is nice though that she respects that I do not like it. So it never gets played in the house while I am home. However, we have a rule, that whomever drives choses music, as they need what makes them comfortable/concentrate. So, I still have to put up with that crap... Once in a great while. :D

She still gets a heavy dose of Tool though. HAHAHAH :D

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Worst period in Rock & Roll: Christmas season 2011 - Early Spring 2012.

Eminem's music is co-opted for a line of commercials for Xiangchua (of China) automobiles, The Walt Disney Co. continues its regime of corporate global domination and buys the rights to Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro" just so WB can't show the Buggs Bunny cartoon with Elmer Fudd getting a haircut. The top five of the Top 40 is infected with craptacular J-Pop sensation Blue Wave (Icki No Gighi), U2's Bloody Knuckles (A tribute to The Edge) is about 2 minutes too long, Whooping Funk is alright the first hundred times you hear them, but it gets old, new wave and glam rock mix to create the disgustingly commercial uNsCeNtEd, and the blatantly homosexual heavy metal Slunt barely break into the top 5 with Purple Vein

Other Music News from the future:

*BOSE opens own record label, selling CDs from its stores and MP3's from its website. Are in legal dispute attempting to buy The Beatles catalog.
*iTunes DRM update prevents burning of CDs at speeds greater than 4x.
*estate of Garth Brooks attempts to buy city of Akron, Ohio
*After Sen.Ted Nugent (Mi) is killed in a "Hunting accident", the tribute album At One with the Wild (a collection of remixes and covers) becomes the best selling Christmas box set.
*An unearthed collection of 100+ previously unheared Miles Davis recordings are discovered May 2009 in a NYC basement. Audiophiles everywhere go ape**** and Jazz enjoys a short-lived mainstream resurgence.
*Despite valient effort, Korean musician "Jae Bak" fails to make K-rap popular.
*For 6 weeks in 2006 Mtv (and MtvHD) actually show music videos in the hours between 3pm and 5:30. Videos later removed to allow for the reality show "The gauntlet"

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Worst period in Rock & Roll: Christmas season 2011 - Early Spring 2012.

Eminem's music is co-opted for a line of commercials for Xiangchua (of China) automobiles, The Walt Disney Co. continues its regime of corporate global domination and buys the rights to Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro" just so WB can't show the Buggs Bunny cartoon with Elmer Fudd getting a haircut. The top five of the Top 40 is infected with craptacular J-Pop sensation Blue Wave (Icki No Gighi), U2's Bloody Knuckles (A tribute to The Edge) is about 2 minutes too long, Whooping Funk is alright the first hundred times you hear them, but it gets old, new wave and glam rock mix to create the disgustingly commercial uNsCeNtEd, and the blatantly homosexual heavy metal Slunt barely break into the top 5 with Purple Vein

Other Music News from the future:

*BOSE opens own record label, selling CDs from its stores and MP3's from its website. Are in legal dispute attempting to buy The Beatles catalog.
*iTunes DRM update prevents burning of CDs at speeds greater than 4x.
*estate of Garth Brooks attempts to buy city of Akron, Ohio
*After Sen.Ted Nugent (Mi) is killed in a "Hunting accident", the tribute album At One with the Wild (a collection of remixes and covers) becomes the best selling Christmas box set.
*An unearthed collection of 100+ previously unheared Miles Davis recordings are discovered May 2009 in a NYC basement. Audiophiles everywhere go ape**** and Jazz enjoys a short-lived mainstream resurgence.
*Despite valient effort, Korean musician "Jae Bak" fails to make K-rap popular.
*For 6 weeks in 2006 Mtv (and MtvHD) actually show music videos in the hours between 3pm and 5:30. Videos later removed to allow for the reality show "The gauntlet"
Too funny. You have waaaay too much time on your hands. Was Ted still hunting for "fresh flesh floozies'?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Worst period in Rock & Roll: Christmas season 2011 - Early Spring 2012....
LMAO. You DO have too much time on your hands. :)

-Chris

L

LCA

Audioholic Intern
Anyone who thinks now is the worst period in rock/pop history is not trying hard enough or looking in the right places. I can't keep up with all the great music out there. I seriously have to work at it. If I bought all the new stuff I wanted I would go broke. It's just that the cast majority of the good stuff never gets any big press or radio play.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
I think you can debate forever about best and worst periods, as well as genres, but the thing that I notice is that the rate of change in popular music seems to have slowed down.

With the exception of rap and hip-hop, you can argue that most of the other forms/genres of rock and pop music emerged at least in some prototypical form between the last half of the 50's and the 60's. Just looking at the decade of the 60's, you went from 50's style rock and roll, to early 60's do-wop, crooners like Pat Boone and Franki Valli, the whole British invasion, proto-hard rock and even proto-punk (e.g. the rawer Kinks and Yardbirds songs), acid rock, the birth of metal, etc.

You can also argue that musicians don't really create anything too new after they are past their late 20's, even though they can still be creative in an evolutionary sense.

By the same token, music listeners tend to like what they liked during their teens and twenties, and mostly want to hear more of the same from then on, or at least things that have a stylistic root in what they grew up with.

L

LCA

Audioholic Intern
rschleicher said:
With the exception of rap and hip-hop, you can argue that most of the other forms/genres of rock and pop music emerged at least in some prototypical form between the last half of the 50's and the 60's..
This is mostly true, I would agree, but there are a couple genres like low-fi (Pavement), Intelligent Dance Music (IDM) and electronica (Steroelab) that came about later. Ther are also artists like Radiohead that combine several genres to create something totally new that doesn't really fall into one category.

rschleicher said:
By the same token, music listeners tend to like what they liked during their teens and twenties, and mostly want to hear more of the same from then on, or at least things that have a stylistic root in what they grew up with.
This is unfortunate but also mostly true. I am 35 and my musical tastes continue to expand. I don't think my listening ear was really honed until my late 20's. My thirst for new music has never been stronger.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis