Wireless Network help.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yo,

I just started a new job working for a car share company, and I have been given a netbook (bought brand new actually) to use while I go around checking vehicles that have maintenance tickets. I'm supposed to sort a list of tickets into categories, then go out to the ones that need attention for the day and repair them. While out there, I will remove the tickets/close the tickets against the car with a netbook paired to my iPhone. Everything went fine today, but I can sort the list at home and save myself time. All the passwords and sites are stored on the netbook, so it's just easier to do it there. However, my wireless router is not showing up on the netbook. I have a 24inch iMac connected to this router via wireless, as well as my iPhone. My PC is connected via Ethernet cable. For some reason, my network is not showing up.

The netbook is an Toshiba NB305, and the Router is a Siemens Gigaset SE567. I've hated this router since we first received it, it always stops forwarding ports. Is there anyone that knows what might help? I am up for buying a replacement too, so don't hesitate to suggest that option.

Thanks,
SheepStar

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry if this doesn't work, as I'm not really familiar with separate routers (my wireless router is integrated into my DSL modem and has been since the advent of wi-fi hit our house.. although it is also a seimens gigaset SE567 so it shouldn't be too different.. though i personally love the freedom it gives me compared what other Modems/routers do)

Go to the computer with an ethernet connection to the router

Type ifconfig (linux) or ipconfig (windows) into terminal or command prompt.

Find the default gateway address, and type that into chrome (it should be similar to the IP address, but with a different last section). This should take you to the configuration of your router (or modem?). It may ask you for a password, and I can't really help you there (for me, the default password is a joke.. it's username = admin and password was either telus or telus01 i forget.... not exactly the most secure default settings.. i figured it out by guessing LOL)

There you can activate wireless and do other fun stuff including opening ports. Just play arount with it until you get things to work out..

And if all that doesn't work. hard reset with the damn power button. that always works.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry if this doesn't work, as I'm not really familiar with separate routers (my wireless router is integrated into my DSL modem and has been since the advent of wi-fi hit our house.. although it is also a seimens gigaset SE567 so it shouldn't be too different.. though i personally love the freedom it gives me compared what other Modems/routers do)

Go to the computer with an ethernet connection to the router

Type ifconfig (linux) or ipconfig (windows) into terminal or command prompt.

Find the default gateway address, and type that into chrome (it should be similar to the IP address, but with a different last section). This should take you to the configuration of your router (or modem?). It may ask you for a password, and I can't really help you there (for me, the default password is a joke.. it's username = admin and password was either telus or telus01 i forget.... not exactly the most secure default settings.. i figured it out by guessing LOL)

There you can activate wireless and do other fun stuff including opening ports. Just play arount with it until you get things to work out..

And if all that doesn't work. hard reset with the damn power button. that always works.
I have that EXACT modem/router and use the exact same passwords and user names. I've done that many times to fix my port, and the wireless is already running. The problem is my netbook doesn't see it. I have it running on the iPhone and iMac and my dads laptop sees it as well. I might run Ethernet if this doesn't work, but I'd like to have the wireless running for convenience sake.

SheepStar

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll assume you're using a wireless encrpytion scheme for security and the router is set to either G or mixed B/G protocol.

Log into the router and check for the option that should be in your wireless section for "broadcast SSID." If it's disabled, enable it. Maybe it was disabled and since your other devices already know the SSID, they don't need to see it being broadcasted. I use this security feature to prevent the network name itself from being known by the average user. If not...

Disable your security and see if your netbook will see it then. If you were using WPA2, it's because the netbook doesn't have the right XP update to negotiate WPA2 keys. Most likely that's not it, since you can't see it at all. When I've had this problem, the WPA2-secured network will at least show up occassionally. If it was the WPA2 problem, you'd see the network (at least once or twice) and just not be able to connect to it. I also doubt that is it because that model Toshiba comes with Win7 from what I know.

If nothing, will it see other wireless networks?

Also, wireless routers have a setting for max clients. If that setting has a small number and you have that many clients connected, some routers will simply not allow discovery by other devices until its DHCP table has a free slot.

Can't think of anything else right now. Hold the netbook right by the router if you weren't using it that close, maybe the radio on that netbook isn't very strong. Slim chance you were too far from it, but why not rule everything out.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
^^^^
What Nemo said.

If all that doesn't work I would pop the panel with the wifi card open on the netbook and make sure the antenna leads are attached properly. Thats about all I can think of with the information provided.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In addition what Nemo said (thou the netbook comes with win7 starter)
I found this interesting solution:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21196657-

I think you have a good chance to make it work or simply disable the wifi on the Siemens and get WiFi Access point, preferably with N support

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, sorry I didn't get back. I ended up ordering my own internet, since my parents Telus is slow as ****. They just installed it today, speedeasy showed 17.5 megabit/s. I'm all smiles. And the netbook sees it no problem.

SheepStar

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, if the netbook works fine on the new router (I assume) you were supplied, there's a protocol negotiation problem between the other one and your netbook. But if the solution is faster access to the internet, even better! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis