Wireless home audio???

C

CHRISTOPHERHENR

Audiophyte
Hi all,

First I want to stress that I know absolutely nothing about home audio systems. Second, I decided to post my question here because I thought it was of a more general nature. Please let me know if I should post under a different category.

I have recently made the decision to purchase a home audio system to complement my Blu-ray player and HD tv. However, I have a major problem. I do not want to drill into the hard wood floor to run cables. Furthermore, I have 6” ornate baseboards that I also do not want to drill into (it is an old house), and the walls are plaster and I do not feel like drilling into them either. I have experience fishing wires in newer homes, but I really really do not want to try in this house. Also, running wires along the base boards is not an option because I would have to go over a door jam, and I personally do not like exposed wires if it can be avoided.

To make a long story short, I could really use a system where the speakers that are not located near the TV could have a wireless connection to the receiver. Power outlets are not a problem, just the connection to the receiver. Is this possible? I have done some limited internet search, but I feel overwhelmed by all the available products plus my lack of knowledge.

Lastly, I am not a millionaire, but I appreciate owning a quality product that sounds great and will last a long time (especially given that I will be spending a considerable amount of money on this system).

Thanks

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Well, I'm 'wired' at the moment except for some headphones (which work reasonably well), so cannot really give you any specific advice on brands/models or pricing; but, the last issue of Sound & Vision had an article on the 'future' of 'wireless entertainment' in the home environment - might want to check out that mag or their website (and of course others). I'm in the same situation in my den, i.e. would love to have surround sound for my DVD watching and back 'wireless' units would be nice. :)

Mike19

Mike19

Junior Audioholic
Hi Christopher.

A couple of questions:

> Do you already have an avr (audio visual receiver)? If so, what is the make and model?

> What size front speakers were you planning on? (floorstansing or bookshelves)

> Are you thinking of a 5.1 system (2 surround speakers) or a 7.1 (4 surround speakers)?

> What is your budget?

Mike

C

CHRISTOPHERHENR

Audiophyte
Hi Mike,

Good evening. Sorry for the delay in responding, I had a busy week.

- I do not have an avr.

- Based only on looks, I am leaning toward floorstanding speakers, but really I could go either way.

- The choice to go to full 7.1 will depend on how much it costs. I might go 5.1 first, and then upgrade to 7.1 at a future date (if it is possible).

- My budget is $1500 - $2000

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I've seen a few wireless transmitters, but they are expensive. I remember reading somewhere a while ago about a loss of sound quality compared to wires also, but I wouldn't take that as gospel truth.

A possible alternative is to use flat speaker wire, run it along the walls or ceiling and paint it to match. Cables to go has some that seems to work pretty well.

C

CHRISTOPHERHENR

Audiophyte
What about

Sony BRAVIA DAV-HDX576WF Home Theater System with wireless rear-speakers and multi-room audio kit

or

Panasonic SC-PT960 Wireless Home Theater System with multi-room audio listening option

These systems have wireless rear speakers. Granted, it looks like the receiver is built into the Blu-ray player, and it looks like it is way less than what I was looking to spend. However, the rear speakers are wireless.

Are there no products out there that allow my rear speakers to go wireless? Are there no AV receivers that have the options to transmit to the rear speakers wirelessly?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The issue you have is that to get any speaker to be wireless, then you must have amplification built into that speaker. Since that typically implies a person who can't (not won't) run wires, then you tend to lean well into the cheapest speakers on the market.

In your case, due to conditions, you won't run wires, and that means that you fall well outside the box for a normal A/V system setup. So, it is a compromise...

There may not be any really good solutions which will provide excellent sound quality as well as wireless capabilities. While it may frustrate you, you may be only one of a few people who are truly frustrated by all of this. Yet, manufacturers don't seem eager to deliver lots of $1,000 speakers with wireless options at this time.

You may want to opt for a speaker bar instead, which can produce fair enough surround sound, yet maintains a hard wired connection. This connection point is right where your gear is so you don't have the same wiring headaches that you are trying to avoid.

Frankly, I would try to go down through the floor or up through the ceiling to unfinished space if possible then run cabling in that space, then come back into the room. Might take 10-20 hours to get it wired right, but you don't mess with the floors baseboards, and only have a bit of plaster to deal with.

EDIT: Recent reviews in HT Magazine seemed to point to them liking the Polk version...
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/surroundbar/

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hi all,

First I want to stress that I know absolutely nothing about home audio systems. Second, I decided to post my question here because I thought it was of a more general nature. Please let me know if I should post under a different category.

I have recently made the decision to purchase a home audio system to complement my Blu-ray player and HD tv. However, I have a major problem. I do not want to drill into the hard wood floor to run cables. Furthermore, I have 6” ornate baseboards that I also do not want to drill into (it is an old house), and the walls are plaster and I do not feel like drilling into them either. I have experience fishing wires in newer homes, but I really really do not want to try in this house. Also, running wires along the base boards is not an option because I would have to go over a door jam, and I personally do not like exposed wires if it can be avoided.

To make a long story short, I could really use a system where the speakers that are not located near the TV could have a wireless connection to the receiver. Power outlets are not a problem, just the connection to the receiver. Is this possible? I have done some limited internet search, but I feel overwhelmed by all the available products plus my lack of knowledge.

Lastly, I am not a millionaire, but I appreciate owning a quality product that sounds great and will last a long time (especially given that I will be spending a considerable amount of money on this system).

Thanks
have you considered a nice rug?

This is what I plan to use.You could also run wire along the seams in the wall. And thing paint over the wire.

No set of speakers are truly wireless. However KEF does offer a wireless kit that probably would work fine for a pair of surrounds. Rocketfish makes one as well. Since surrounds aren't super important make sure you just get efficient 8 ohm speakers.

C

CHRISTOPHERHENR

Audiophyte
Thanks to lsiberian and Exit for their helpful suggestions. I will look at reviews for the KEF wireless kit to determine if they will provide the kind of quality I am looking for.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Radio Shack also carries some wireless speakers. The surrounds might not have to be the best to carry surround information effectively as long as they dont add noise.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis