Windows iPod utilities

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Do any of you windows users know of a good utility to transfer music from ipod back to itunes? A free one preferably but does not have to be. Had a friend who lost a laptop drive and did not back up of course.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Do any of you windows users know of a good utility to transfer music from ipod back to itunes? A free one preferably but does not have to be. Had a friend who lost a laptop drive and did not back up of course.
There are none, Windows automatically rejects anything having to do with iTunes. Attempting to install iTunes on windows results in a total system crash.

;) I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
There are none, Windows automatically rejects anything having to do with iTunes. Attempting to install iTunes on windows results in a total system crash.

;) I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
Funny, but I think you have backwards my friend. What really happens is iTunes looks and sees that it is being installed on windows and says hey look how easy this system is to crash:p

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, technically ipod shows to windows as mass storage, so can copy from it all files. Tricky part is how to get itunes recognize them since their names would be just hex sequence...

Software wise: I'd give a shot to DoubleTwist

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Funny, but I think you have backwards my friend. What really happens is iTunes looks and sees that it is being installed on windows and says hey look how easy this system is to crash:p
hahaha, touche

H

Hemlock

Junior Audioholic
Well, technically ipod shows to windows as mass storage, so can copy from it all files. Tricky part is how to get itunes recognize them since their names would be just hex sequence...

Software wise: I'd give a shot to DoubleTwist

Actually not Tricky at all.

use the iPod as mass storage (make sure "Show Hidden Files" is checked in windows.

Create a new folder in My Music called iPod1 or something like that.

Navigate through the ipod until you find folders called F0 F1 F2 F3 etc.... they contain all the songs but scattered throughout those files with no names.

drag them all to the iPod1 folder you created.
NOW here's the cool part, because iTunes created that files structure (or maybe becuase they're tagged, I'm not sure) iTunes can tell what they are.

Just add those folders to iTunes and you're done.
you will losa all structure management etc that you (he) were (was) using but you'll have the music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis