Windows 7 64 bit - Certain Blu Ray will not play!

T

Trev

Audioholic
I've used Cyberlink PowerDVD12 Ultra, and it was playing every film fine for the longest time, but months later after not having watched any... all of a sudden... my Dredd would not load.

I setup WinDVD Pro 11... and same thing. Stargate and other Blu Rays play no problem, but Dredd will not. The system reads the disc contents... they're available in Windows Explorer, but the players will just no longer play it. The back of the disc is impeccable. It's my most valued disc. It has a bundled digital copy, and you can see by looking under the disc that there're waves in the disc ... you know that polarization looking bit? This seems to be common with certain Blu Rays. It's Blu Rays with this format that are no longer able to play.

If they were once able to... and no longer... than without doubt this is something to do with an update. I've tried researching what it might be and organizing updates by date with no such luck.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Pioneer 2208 Blu Ray & BDXL
GTX 460 Gigabyte
16GB Ram
Core i7 Z77 Asus mobo
Mushkin SSD

Flawless operation outside of this one issue.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you tried to update your BD player software? new BD disks may have an updated security model which require software update

T

Trev

Audioholic
Did you tried to update your BD player software? new BD disks may have an updated security model which require software update
Yes, and Pioneer offers no firmware updates, only a firmware configuration tool, which I've never messed with... with settings regarding error checking for example. You can have the drive stop a disc if it does not reproduce exactly as it's supposed to bit for bit. Impressive... but there's being an audioholic and being a patient man... I'm not so patient and would accept a skip and let my ears tell me if I need a new disc.

The Blu Ray had been playing perfectly 3 months ago or so. It's a recent development.

Other Blu Rays continue to play awesomely... and on a side note, I'm really liking WinDVD Pro 11 over Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Ultra. Haven't been able to compare to PowerDVD 13 as of yet. Will let a buddy bite that bullet. I've spent enough.

Any thoughts you guys have on why a Blu Ray may stop playing, with contents still flawlessly being read in explorer, on Windows 7 64bit... I would be greatly appreciative, and I think the solution would really help anyone else who's been looking... as I've found no one else noting this trouble properly. All trails coming close to it end abruptly or give up. I really don't want to reformat.

T

Trev

Audioholic
Well, after continuing the investigation just now, I caught this thread, with a Best Buy representative, speaking on behalf of Lionsgate, with it being a known issue with specific discs. I would say... this is really unlikely to affect anyone still interested in purchasing the film, since I'd preordered this copy and I wager the production hiccup's been sorted.

BBY - Problem with Dredd Blu-ray - Page 2 - Best Buy: Unboxed

Will post back if it happens again to anything in my library in case the underlying problem really is windows related. Can't test on another player until I bring the disc to another associate's crib.

Regards,

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This is why I use AnyDVD HD so I can simply use MPC-HC to play movies. This problem just doesn't exist for me. I feel your pain though. That's how I ended up with AnyDVD HD in the first place. DRM has made blu-ray horrible if you can't update.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I wasn't referring to BD Drive firmware updates, but to the software to play BDs - Cyberlink PowerDVD12 Ultra and WinDVD.
Make sure that you are running latest versions

T

Trev

Audioholic
Seems I got it to snap out of it, finally! I think think the apps auto-updated, and awesomely caused some warped cache issue with region setting. I changed software to Asia and back to North America region... disc started working. ...Really nightmarish. I was running out of options, as I tried to watch it on Netflix to satisfy the itch, but the quality is complete crap. I then tried Ultraviolet digital copy, which requires an account with them, and a second with Vudu.com. ...Well you need to be on an American network just to view the digital version of your hard copy? Yeah... I can really see the rights or content issues there? (Holding back angry words).

Even with a proxy on, no dice. Nothing shy of a VPN connection can I see being able to view Vudu, and as such I can't even attest to the quality they offer.

Still, to me... nothing beats Blu Ray. I enjoy the convenience of rips... but hard media... I just prefer it when it's time to really watch a movie not just to pass time if you know what I mean.

I apologize for the false alarm, hopefully this troubleshooting process at least benefits someone else who may be looking this up.

Cheers,

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I went through other both you cyber and win software and I have absolutely nothing good to say about either.

On AVS it is accepted that you pony up for ARC Soft or expect trouble.

H

Hyperion

Audiophyte
I even get problems with data dvd's original's from microsoft, dont get me started on blu rays.
Now I just use Any dvd hd and vlc works like a charm :)

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

M

michaeltrottar

Banned
Mxplayer will help in playing BR for sure and also make an updates for the softaware which let you enjoy the same.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, after continuing the investigation just now, I caught this thread, with a Best Buy representative, speaking on behalf of Lionsgate, with it being a known issue with specific discs. I would say... this is really unlikely to affect anyone still interested in purchasing the film, since I'd preordered this copy and I wager the production hiccup's been sorted.

BBY - Problem with Dredd Blu-ray - Page 2 - Best Buy: Unboxed

Will post back if it happens again to anything in my library in case the underlying problem really is windows related. Can't test on another player until I bring the disc to another associate's crib.

Regards,
If you do some searching. You will find that the Dredd bluray seems to have the MOST problems of ANY BR out there!

There was even another thread on this forum a few weeks ago about it!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis