Winamp being discontinued. Booo!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Probably no one else will care but me, but Winamp will be no more as of Dec 20. I like and still use Winamp, it's stable, it's simple, it launches fast and without an extra heap of useless crap so it has a small memory footprint. Plus I like the Milkdrop visualization and I got a great plug-in for it called Nevi's EQ which is a powerful 256 band equalizer. Sigh.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Earlier today I posted a photo on facebook of my freshman college surround setup (circa 2003) with CRT monitor and Winamp playing, and the llama's *** quote. Then I saw the news about them shutting down after 15 years. Crazy coincidence. But I haven't used Winamp in years, Apple sucked me in to the iTunes platform. I do miss the skins and great visualizations.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I still use it from time to time, but foobar is my player of choice. Your player will obviously still work even with development stopping...I don't know or even care what features were added after 2.9.x. I just want a player to be a player. I don't care about other things.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Probably no one else will care but me, but Winamp will be no more as of Dec 20. I like and still use Winamp, it's stable, it's simple, it launches fast and without an extra heap of useless crap so it has a small memory footprint. Plus I like the Milkdrop visualization and I got a great plug-in for it called Nevi's EQ which is a powerful 256 band equalizer. Sigh.
Really? Well that sucks. Winamp was my first and current audio file player of choice. Like the first posted comment said in the article "because of the low memory usage and how it does the only thing I want it to: Play music" pretty well sums up my attitude. I'm using Winamp Pro ver. 5.56 and happy as a clam. Later versions got a bit bloated and removed some nice features. This is a sad day indeed since the closest program to match my needs was Media Monkey and even that didn't come close to my preferences. My biggest complaint with other players was there almost catatonic insistence on organizing your files into playlists ... uh, no thank you, I'll do it myself if you don't mind ... at very turn.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For anyone who misses the original Winamp desktop client simplicity (not the heavy crap it became under AOL) checkout Foobar2000
I will miss winamp's mobile intergration with shoutcast channels - some of them have great music and often without/or very little commercials and best at cost of zero

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
For anyone who misses the original Winamp desktop client simplicity (not the heavy crap it became under AOL) checkout Foobar2000
I will winamp's mobile intergration with shoutcast channels - some of them have great music and often without/or very little commercials and best at cost of zero
Simple and possibly stupid question, since I'm not going to activate Foobar2000 currently; Winamp will continue running until my future OS doesn't support it. I like to just go to Windows Explorer and click the mp3/Flac/etc. file I want to hear; that simple?

Or does the Foobar2000 UI need to be opened first?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Simple and possibly stupid question, since I'm not going to activate Foobar2000 currently; Winamp will continue running until my future OS doesn't support it. I like to just go to Windows Explorer and click the mp3/Flac/etc. file I want to hear; that simple?

Or does the Foobar2000 UI need to be opened first?
Yes, you can associate your files to be opened with FB2k with a single double click. it also support flac, ape and many other out of the box without need for plugins (like winamp)
I also like drag and drop selection of files into gui to insta build a playlist

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, you can associate your files to be opened with FB2k with a single double click. it also support flac, ape and many other out of the box without need for plugins (like winamp)
I also like drag and drop selection of files into gui to insta build a playlist
+1

Foobar is great, free, and open source.

I like the fact that I can customize it, see what I want to see, in the panel location that I want to see it.

In many respects, Foobar blows iTunes out of the water!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
In many respects, Foobar blows iTunes out of the water!
I have an irrational hatred of all Apple products, so that's always good to hear. :D

Yes most of their products are user friendly (read: non-technical civilians who are too lazy to figure anything out ... I HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL; CAN'T I JUST PUSH ONE BUTTON & EVERYTHING MAGICALLY WORKS? ... and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. But their nanny like attitude and propriety insistence on using their products/apps/encryption pisses me off. :mad:

OK I'm done, let me get off this soapbox.

B

bang4bucker

Enthusiast
thank goodness ! whenever i hear the word "winamp" i always remember lame mp3 playing on a crappy desktop computer's speakers back at the college.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I COULD love apple products (lets face it - their hardware design and quality is match none), but then again I get reminded that I will have to deal with iTunes from time to time for importing audio/video or keep a track of my media library and right then I remember the nightmare which iTunes is and I immediately loose any desire to get apple product

It's not the high prices or any other reason, I would not get any mobile device from apple because of itunes

/rant

sorry

Ponzio - There is one scenario where their encryption does come handy for a change, and it's for corporate policies. Android devices take 15 mins to an hour, to encrypt their storage, but apple takes zero since it's already encrypted :)

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I have an irrational hatred of all Apple products, so that's always good to hear. :D

Yes most of their products are user friendly (read: non-technical civilians who are too lazy to figure anything out ... I HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL; CAN'T I JUST PUSH ONE BUTTON & EVERYTHING MAGICALLY WORKS? ... and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. But their nanny like attitude and propriety insistence on using their products/apps/encryption pisses me off. :mad:

OK I'm done, let me get off this soapbox.
I couldn't agree more, with only one exception, I don't find my wife's macbook any easier. Including paying for it, pretty or not. LOL! Maybe it was true 15 years ago? Or maybe not? I had to run a windows emulator back then to do any real work on one..........I'm particularly not an iTunes fan for all the reason Boredsysadmin mentions. I'll get off the soapbox now too:D Ultimately, they're both just tools that are more the same than different. For me, most the time I'm playing music on my computer it's using transcribe!.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
It's good to hear I'm not alone in this. Friends and family accuse me of being a techno-snob but every time they want to trade or transfer a music file it becomes a session in hell for various reasons. It reminds me of people who buy a beautiful home but don't even know how to replace an electrical outlet that you can buy at your local hardware store for $2 and their paying an electrician $60 dollars to do so. It's like my father told me when I started working for RCA in the early 80's in their electronics repair division and I complained about peoples unwillingness to learn about the most simple product features and how to operate them. We were going out on service calls to program/train people on how to work a VCR and charging $40 and they had the manuals in their hands. :eek:

He said "son, thank god for stupid people, they make us rich". He was absolutely right and I try to not too complain about idiots any more. My father was an immigrant to this country with no formal education but had more common sense than most of the educated fools I've met in my life.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I had Winamp on my phone and I didn't like it. During a song the music volume seemed to fluctuate all the time and I couldn't figure out why.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I had Winamp on my phone and I didn't like it. During a song the music volume seemed to fluctuate all the time and I couldn't figure out why.
Did you have the "wild volume fluctuation during music" feature turned on? If so, just turn it off.

D

Duff man

Audioholic Intern
My biggest complaint with other players was there almost catatonic insistence on organizing your files into playlists ... uh, no thank you, I'll do it myself if you don't mind ... at very turn.
I agree 100%. I just want to play music and have yet to see a player that will create specific folders for me, such as: "deck songs", "songs my band plays", "workout songs", "songs for crowd A", "songs for crowd B", etc...

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
sad sad sad.... winamp was my preferred player way back .... until I jumped on the netbook and linux bandwagon in 2008, then it became Amarok
Now I hardly use pc as the player, mainly squeezebox's and a phone while on the way (Nokia N9, to be replaced soooooo...)

AVisualGeek

AVisualGeek

Enthusiast
Wow, now there is a name you have hear for many years now. I am surprised to see it go...but then again as of late I haven't heard anyone talk about it so maybe VLC is just dominating that hard now when it comes to first-choice media players. I know I switched a long time ago to VLC (and media player classic...given I don't even use that anymore for anything).

DietlE

Audiophyte
Раскрутка и пр

Здравствуйте!
Напишите, пожалуйста, в личку, как обратиться с вопросами к админам
Заранее благодарю

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis