Win an Audio Rack from Red Couch Design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Taifun said:
Wow I too am in the market for a rack. Most of what I've seen hasn't impressed me. I like industrial design as well as art-deco. I've been looking for something in Metal that is easily accessable, and good ventilation. I've contemplated making my own and wanted to perforated aluminum for the shelves. Glass is nice but with a 35lb plus receiver I get nervous. Another thing I have not seen is some type of screen for the front of an open rack, something like a drape or what not that blocks the light from the components. My rack will, by virtue of the room, be on the same wall as the screen. The big problem then is using remotes unless you have a RF remote.

-G
All my racks use glass. As long as it is the right galss, glass isn't a problem. the AV123 racks hold my 100lb+ Parasound C51 with no problem.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
I currently don't have a rack right now, as i just finished school and can't afford one yet. I currently have my satelite, dvd, vcr, and receiver stacked on top of one another on an end table beside the tv....looks terrible, but no other option right now. A rack with black poles and glass shelves would look great beside my paradigm monitor 7's. Keeping my eyes open for something in the future, and the one here looks great.

R

Ragtop

Audioholic Intern
Most audio racks are oriented vertically and I am in need of something more horizontal in nature. Where the components can sit two high but maybe three wide. Glass is cool if you like dusting and don't mind fingerprints. I would really like a nice deep wood color.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I have the same entertainment center as JohnA, and want to get rid of it.
I've been looking to purchase a 24-28U server cabinet (roughly 48" tall), with a plexiglass door. These server cabinets are lockable (theft deterant), and IR/RF remotes will still function through the plexi.
Also, since these cabinets are usually designed for server and infrastructor equipment, most come with fans and proper ventilation.

APC is a decent manufacture and they have some nice looking ones, that will not be a tremendous eyesore in the living room. $ has been holding me back. Most I've seen run about $475+ on ebay.

Reorx

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
I like simple straight lines with an asian influence. More importantly, I would like to see more short racks i.e. around 24" - 36" tall. Most large racks are hard to place in my room do to blocking the reflected sound of my Bipolar speakers.

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
I have a particle board rack that is about 25 years old. I am looking to eventually upgrade to a rack that can handle a Yamaha Z9 receiver as well as a DVD player, Cassette Player, Turntable, a VCR, and a DVD recorder. And will also hold records similar to my present rack (yes, I have kept my old licorice pizza albums from the past). Also, I would like the rack in solid oak. I know I am asking for something that does not exist but at least I can hope.

Phil

A

Alessio

Audioholic Intern
I have been shopping around for a new rack and I have found few products that combine function and looks at an affordable price. Until, that is, I saw this rack. It is sleek, looks sturdy and a good price. This rack, though, could use a system for hiding wires.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Here are some of my desires on an equipment rack:

• Separate power and interconnect cable management. On opposite sides of the rack.
  • Able to hold heavy equipment, like big amps.
  • Five shelves.
  • No backs or sides, to allow easy access.
  • Adequate vertical space between shelves to allow 3-4" of cooling space above components.

I prefer the look of glass or frosted glass shelves with a nice solid color for the supports: silver or black.

paulsilkiner

paulsilkiner

Banned
Audio/Video Furniture

I like the picture in the contest announcement. I am looking for something elegant. Right now I have this dark wood piece where there is an enclosed tower on either side of the big screen and a bridge that spans above the screen connected to each tower. It certainly holds everything but it also has too large a foot print in my theater room. I need something simple, yet stylish!

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
The rack I'd like would be on the contemporary line with a cherry or maple finish. I would prefer the glass to be frosted that way finger prints wouldn't show. The shelves would need to be adjustable so it could accomodate different size equipment without one being crammed in there to where you couldn't access it easily! It most definately needs to be sturdy since most equipment these days are so darn heavy! As far as hidding the wires, I would love for my future rack to be able to hide most of, if not all, the cables and wires into 2 seperate posts so you could keep the video and audio cables seperate from each other. If any rack has these features then they are on my top list to buy.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic

thats the kind of rack i'd like on my home theatre 24/7. nothing too bulky or old :p

I

ifarrell

Enthusiast
I am a minimalist when it comes to racks, requiring only space for adequate cooling, construction which can support today's heavy AV equipment, and a plain, tasteful finish, in black or white.

G

gsuhoppy

Audiophyte
I would be interested in a rack that rotated for easy accessibility to the back of components while being compact enough to fit into a corner. It would also have to look sleek, and a little futuristic. A component rack made of glass or steel platforms that appear to be floating in mid-air. That would be cool!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
WndrBr3d said:
thats the kind of rack i'd like on my home theatre 24/7. nothing too bulky or old :p
I give that rack about a 2.5 out of 5.... More looks than functional too (and not all that good on looks either :p )

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
I'd love to see racks in a variety of hardwoods (cherry, maple, oak, etc) and with interesting joinery instead of knockdown style. I think there are a lot of HT enthusiasts that would shell out decent amounts of coin for really well built pieces of "furniture" instead of cheapo racks. I resort to building my own furniture, but if it were available at a reasonable price, I'd consider buying instead.

Jason

MarkSJohnson

MarkSJohnson

Junior Audioholic
I'd like to see more designs in wood.

I have a Bell'O black and glass rack, but would have preferrred wood to match my furniture. There's nothing wrong with the "open" metal and/or glass styles out there (except for maybe more flexibility in adjusting shelf positions), but having been through an extensive search recently, I just couldn't find what I wanted in wood. Unfortunately, what was out there was either very high-priced or only available in Cherry and Oak.

I kept thinking that if a good sized woodshop had the jigs made, is it any more difficult to put in stock of Beech, Walnut, or Maple?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
WndrBr3d said:

oh good call, we could all use something like that in our home theater room

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
My wife doesn't like the modern glass and metal look that is popular now. (but I do) A traditional finished wood rack with adjustable shelves would be ideal for her, the glass and metal can go in my office.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
How about a rack with a power strip or surge protector built in? I need cord management! How about something really off the wall, like a HDMI router? That would really be cutting edge.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
That would be insanely cool...a power outlet or two on the bottom of each shelf (or on the back) of each shelf. That would allow you to use really short power cords and avoid making a big rat nest of cables and interference. Now which company to parntner with to make the power conditioner...

Furman? Tripp-Lite? APC?

I kinda think a modified Furman unit would work best. One of their 20-amp jobbies with the rack lights would be quite cool. Power protection and lighting...built into your sleek rack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis