Will this HTS Setup work?

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
Im just trying to clarify if my setup will work as follows for connecting my devices to this HTS Receiver. My receiver is the SONY BRAVIA HT-SS2300. I've done alot of homework and here's my proposed setup. please dont recommend other receivers. this is the one im looking at (above link)

Desired Setup for HTS:

Playstation 3 ------------------ <HDMI> ------------------ AV Receiver
(From the HDMI out on my ps3 to one of three available HDMI inputs on my receiver. Could someone verify what audio formats the ps3 supports?)

Directv STP -------------------- <HDMI> ------------------ AV Receiver
(same thing, hdmi out from the STP to another hdmi input on my receiver)

AV Receiver ------------------- <HDMI> ------------------ TV
(using the HDMI OUT on receiver to the HDMI input on my tv. I just want this cable to send the VIDEO signal ONLY (directv/ps3) to the tv.)

I just want the VIDEO to "pass through" to the tv and the AUDIO to go through my speakers. This should work wouldn't it? I really want to avoid OPTICAL connections as optical is compressed audio and I want the uncompressed audio and as few connections as possible. Do I have this setup right (above)?

P.S. what I'm trying to get at I guess is....does this receiver process the audio to go through the speakers so I can use the hdmi as video cable only to the tv from the receiver?

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
It looks like that will work.

I really want to avoid OPTICAL connections as optical is compressed audio and I want the uncompressed audio and as few connections as possible.
FYI; Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed audio, sending them over optical will not make them any more compressed. And uncompressed multichannel audio formats are not supported by S/PDIF (i.e. optical).

M

murl

Full Audioholic
It looks like that will work.

FYI; Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed audio, sending them over optical will not make them any more compressed. And uncompressed multichannel audio formats are not supported by S/PDIF (i.e. optical).

Agreed!

The PS3 should decode the lossless formats and send them over via the HDMI. I don't own one but unless I am mistaken it can't send a signal over that is capable of being decoded by any AV receiver.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/09/sony-responds-to-rumors-of-the-playstation-3s-audio-limitations/

Not really an explanation but may give you an idea.........

Any particular reason for that specific receiver? Just curious....

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
Agreed!

The PS3 should decode the lossless formats and send them over via the HDMI. I don't own one but unless I am mistaken it can't send a signal over that is capable of being decoded by any AV receiver.

Not really an explanation but may give you an idea.........

Any particular reason for that specific receiver? Just curious....
Thanks for your input. I chose the receiver because it fits in my price range and it has plentiful HDMI inputs. and its a sony. its hd. its in sony's DNA lol

M

murl

Full Audioholic
Thanks for your input. I chose the receiver because it fits in my price range and it has plentiful HDMI inputs. and its a sony. its hd. its in sony's DNA lol
cool, nothing against it at all, I have just always asked why since I was able to talk lol.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Have you bought it already?

Sony's aren't too bad I had a sony HTIB before i got my current setup. My parents have one now that's good enough for them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis