Will this foam work to replace rock wool?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
No, though if you scroll down on the page you linked to, the produce at the bottom of the page is a better bet.

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
Which foam would be better for lining all the walls of a DIY speaker that is not a subwoofer?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Which foam would be better for lining all the walls of a DIY speaker that is not a subwoofer?
Auralex is the only foam I know of that is [available in small amounts as a raw product] verified by credible 3rd party to be anywhere near the quality/effectiveness of the high density fiberglass/rockwool board products.

-Chris

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Sonic Barrier has been used in some amazing builds.

For a normal speaker I wonder if it's necessary to use rockwool.

I have no plans to at the moment.:D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Sonic Barrier has been used in some amazing builds.

For a normal speaker I wonder if it's necessary to use rockwool.

I have no plans to at the moment.:D
Sorry, but Sonic Barrier looks to be mostly a gimmick product. An expensive one at that. It will not likely compare well to the specified rockwook/fiberglass high density board materials I have specified. The materials I have specified are the most efficient broadband absorbers known.

-Chris

J

JLMEMT

Junior Audioholic
I still haven't found a local source of rockwool.
Does anyone have an online source? I know it seems to come in a quite a chunk,but eventually I hope to build 9 speakers so I will probably use it.
My eventual goal is a full DIY 7.1 with duel subs.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
This may be what you are looking for. Or not, I just noticed it's "Rockboard", not "rockwool".

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Wmax:

This stuff is highly recommended at a different forum....

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=103

would this stuff work? I dont see being able to get mineral wool or rock wool inside of say a center channel because it is 2 inches thick.
The 2" rockwool easily bends to fit into cramped spaces. You can also split it to be about 1" thick if you need it to be that thin. I would not waste my time/money with that gimmick looking No-Rez. At the very best, it would be as effective per thickness as the high density rockwool/fiberglass board.

-Chris

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I still haven't found a local source of rockwool.
Does anyone have an online source? I know it seems to come in a quite a chunk,but eventually I hope to build 9 speakers so I will probably use it.
My eventual goal is a full DIY 7.1 with duel subs.
spi-co.com

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
This may be what you are looking for. Or not, I just noticed it's "Rockboard", not "rockwool".
That is a brand of mineral wool. Mineral wool is the common name. Rock wool is the name of a company so it's trademarked by them.

J

JLMEMT

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for the links!
I had found the manufacturer through Google, but not the suppliers for some reason. :eek:

Now we have three different options of mineral wool in this thread ranging from about $10 a sheet to close to $20 a sheet. It seems to be comparable. Does anyone have a solid reason, other than being cheap which I already have figured out,:rolleyes: to use one over another of these?

If there is a real reason I am not going to skimp a few dollars here on a set of speakers I hope to have for quite a while. But I don't want to fall for the "Monster" of mineral wools either! :cool:

Jason

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for the links!
I had found the manufacturer through Google, but not the suppliers for some reason. :eek:

Now we have three different options of mineral wool in this thread ranging from about $10 a sheet to close to $20 a sheet. It seems to be comparable. Does anyone have a solid reason, other than being cheap which I already have figured out,:rolleyes: to use one over another of these?

If there is a real reason I am not going to skimp a few dollars here on a set of speakers I hope to have for quite a while. But I don't want to fall for the "Monster" of mineral wools either! :cool:

Jason
Just make sure if you are getting it for the sub.That you get 8lb mineral wool. I don't think the brand matters too much.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis