Will RCA outs transmit signal for subwoofer?

S

starbuk

Audioholic Intern
So if you have 2 RCA outs going into a receiver, how do you get the LFE signal to the sub? Is it carried with the L/R output or do you need a different connection? Right now I have an optical out (which has all the signals), but I don't want my signal processed by my receiver so I want to use RCA outs instead, but am wondering how the sub will get its signal.

Novice question for sure. Let me know if it doesnt make any sense to readers..

I would not mind using the Optical out, but doesnt that mean that my receiver will be processing the signal instead? Someone shed some light (optical joke) on this for me, please!

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Outputs go out of the receiver, not in.

You use the RCA output labeled "LFE" or "Sub Out" or something like that. Adjust crossover and level in the receiver. This is taken from the digitalsignal processing in the receiver.

Either that, or you could take the full range two channel analog (preamp) outputs and feed them to the left/right line-level inputs of the subwoofer. Adjust corssover and level as you see fit on the subwoofer. This will work if you bypass the digital processing in the receiver.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It sounds like you are talking about sending the signal from a stereo component to your receiver. In that setup, it doesn't matter whether you use digital or analog, the receiver will be handling the bass management.

If your source has multichannel analog outputs, that would give you a separate channel for LFE/bass, but the bass management is still usually better in a receiver than most players.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
So if you have 2 RCA outs going into a receiver, how do you get the LFE signal to the sub? Is it carried with the L/R output or do you need a different connection? Right now I have an optical out (which has all the signals), but I don't want my signal processed by my receiver so I want to use RCA outs instead, but am wondering how the sub will get its signal.

Novice question for sure. Let me know if it doesnt make any sense to readers..

I would not mind using the Optical out, but doesnt that mean that my receiver will be processing the signal instead? Someone shed some light (optical joke) on this for me, please!
Use the optical. You clearly do want your signal processed by your receiver because you want it to apply the filters necessary to split the signal into a sub output and a mains output.

Signal processing is good. Your receiver is very good at it. Use your receiver the way it was intended. Feed it the optical signal.

S

starbuk

Audioholic Intern
My source (a sound card) only has RCA L/R and an optical out. The reason I bought this thing was so that it would be processing my sound.. if I use optical I cant do that, right?

My receiver is an old Pioneer VSX D509S and is probably not as good as my sound card for DAC processing.

Doing a bit of research:
Creative Worldwide Support

Looks like the card has a way to enable audio processing while using an optical out. Has anyone seen anything like this?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
There are several issues with using analog in this situation. First of all, computers are extremely noisy in terms of interference. The chances that your analog sound output has a lower noise floor than your receiver is zero. Furthermore, Creative sound cards are generally not well regarded in terms of quality to begin with.

The chances that the DAC in any computer sound card will be audibly better than the one found in a Pioneer receiver are very, very low.

I'm sorry you bought a sound card in order to use its "processing," but you are quite simply better off using the optical output than an analog audio jack from a computer sound card.

S

starbuk

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, Jon, for your reply. The card has a 122dB SNR but I will take your word for it that it will not be as good as the receiver's processor. Of course I will try it out when it arrives. If it does not sound good, it will go back! I would be happy if my receiver does a better job than the sound card. Right now I am using an optical output from my motherboard and it sound fine.

Tomorrow I am getting an Emotiva UPA-2 to beef up my sound because I do not trust my 10 year old receiver being matched with my Klipsch WF-35s to give me their best sound. Between the amp, receiver and sound card I should be able to find the best match (I welcome your opinions here). If things do not jive, well let's just say I have been looking for an excuse to pickup a new receiver :D On my radar is the VSX 1121, which was just on sale (no longer) for $430. Again I welcome your opinion on this as well. The reason for my upgrade would be to get better sound quality as well as HD audio decoders and an automatic EQ like Audyssey of MMMC or whatever Pioneer uses, along with an HDMI input since my PC has an HDMI output from my very nice video card.

Jon (and anyone else) feel free to make suggestions on what is or is not a good investment into this system. FYI I have a HSU VTF2.3 in addition to the Klipsch WF-35s powered by a Pioneer VSX 509S, all hooked up to my pc.

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Have you already bought the amp? I'd strongly suggest getting a good receiver first, and then adding an amp if you need it.

S

starbuk

Audioholic Intern
Jon - not yet but I can get it for $140 in good condition. I feel like I can sell it for more than that if I dont need it. Just read good things about the sound quality is why I like it. I was going to get the Pioneer 1121 for $430 but I dropped the ball on the sale and now its up to like $550 again. If you think receiver is best, then I will wait for it to go on sale and pick it up.

S

starbuk

Audioholic Intern
I like that the Yamaha has 2 HDMI outs (usually have to spend more to find that). This looks like a good deal. Like I said I was looking at the Pioneer 1121 but this looks to have similar features.

What is the best way to get the signal out of my computer? You say it is noisy and I want to make sure that the signal comes out clean if I have a good receiver. I suspect that connecting through the HDMI outs on my video card will be best.

The reason I was hesitant to get a receiver at first is because I do not use the Video attributes much at the moment. Really all I care about is the sound and sound features. My video is only rarely BluRay quality and I already have a video card that puts out a good HD picture. Seems like it is difficult to avoid, even with an external amp, and a decent receiver is necessary..

Thanks for your help, I will update once I decide what to do and setup my system.

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Use HDMI out from your computer if you have it. Otherwise just use optical.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis