Will I benefit with more amplification with this system?

M

Mikkel

Audiophyte
Hello,

I was hoping if you could help decide if I should invest in more amplification, e.g. Behringer A500s or EPQ1200s to drive my front and center speakers. You can view my setup further down.

The idea is to let my current receiver run the surrounds, and then use separate amps for the front speakers. This leads to the following questions, which I hope you will help me find an answer for:
a) Would I gain anything from buying separate amps for the fronts?
b) Should I run one amp (bridged) per front-channel or just one output per speaker (two-channel output)?
c) Which of the Behringers are the better for my purpose (and setup)?

Below you can see my current amp as well as front and center speakers:

H/K 235 AV receiver
- 50 watt/channel at 8 ohm

Front speakers: AudioPro Black Pearl v2
- 4 ohm
- 25-100 watt amp. requirements
- 89db sensitivity
- Bass-reflex
- 1" dome tweeter
- 6.5 woofer

Center speaker: AudioPro Black Vector
- 4 ohm
- 10-100 watt amp. requirements
- 90db sensitivity
- Cealed cabinet
- 3/4" dome tweeter
- 6.5 woofer
- 6.5 woofer (passive radiator)

The rest of the system consists of:
2x AudioPro Image 11 for surrounds
2x AudioPro Image 12 for rear surrounds
1x BK Monolith subwoofer

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Mikkel

M

Mikkel

Audiophyte
I should perhaps add that I'm using a self-built HTPC as sound processor and the h/k receiver as an amplifier via the 8ch direct input.

For media playback I use Jriver MC, with full-range parametric equalizing on the front and center speakers.

The soundcard is an Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe (using the analogue output).

Best regards,
Mikkel

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Those hk receivers have plenty of juice as their power is rated all channels driven and they are designed to deliver plenty of current. it's probably close to 90-100wpc x 2ch

I would first get speakers that can take a lot more power before bothering with more power. there's only so far a two way two driver standmount can go!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess your live on the other side of the Atlantic ocean :D
Behringers amps are pretty popular here, especially to power DIY subs, but with your 4Ohm speaker, mayhaps additional juice would come handy

yes, I know H/K uses very humble power rating system so their 50wpc is equal as said to 90/100 "pioneer" watts, but I can't find any 4 ohm certifications for it, therefore I do suggest external amp - possibly you can find a used NAT T 955 amp

I do not recommend using Behringer amps for two reasons: A) they have loud fans b) has only balanced input - means you have to deal with unbalanced to balanced conversion and potential issues

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
yes, I know H/K uses very humble power rating system so their 50wpc is equal as said to 90/100 "pioneer" watts, but I can't find any 4 ohm certifications for it
Let's say this 90w receiver is awful into 4 ohms. Let's say it delivers 110w into 4 ohms (which would be awful). That's applicably a 55w amp - That's still over 95db peaks at the typical listening positions. The drivers will run out of steam before the amp does.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
yes, I know H/K uses very humble power rating system so their 50wpc is equal as said to 90/100 "pioneer" watts, but I can't find any 4 ohm certifications for it, therefore I do suggest external amp - possibly you can find a used NAT T 955 amp
HK AVR340, a slightly higher model, specs:

Power Rating (watts per channel): 55 x7, into 8 ohms; 70 x 2, into 8 ohms

Lab measurements by HTM (http://www.hometheater.com/content/paradigm-cinema-330-speaker-system-and-harmankardon-avr-340-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures-har):

"............the AVR 340's left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1-percent distortion at 102.1 watts and 1-percent distortion at 115.9 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1-percent distortion at 136.3 watts and 1-percent distortion at 169.1 watts."

They did not rate their AVR for 4 ohms in those days but the 230, 235, and higher models should be able to handle the OP's speakers. There won't be much headroom left though if he cranks the volume up high enough.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
The Behringer A500 would be a great choice for an external amp since it has no fans. But as PENG pointed out - the HK AVRs tend to make more power than HK gives them credit for. I've owned several HK AVRs and 3 or 4 stereo receivers. All made excellent power. I still have one HK stereo receiver.

M

Mikkel

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

And thank you very much for your response. Indeed I'm from the other side of the Atlantic... which means I don't get the benefit of great value for money HIFI like Emotiva and SVS :mad:

Anyway, from your posts I take notice of a) the H/K receiver delivers sufficient power and current to drive my speakers (also at 4 ohm), b) maybe, though, not with the greatest of greatest headroom, so c) if needed I could indeed consider e.g. the Behringer A500.

Besides headroom, will additional power add any other quality to the sound reproduction? If not I'll just stay with the H/K for now.

Oh, btw, the A500 has unbalanced RCA-input, so should be no problem connecting the pre-amp out from the H/K to the Behringer.

Again thank you very much everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Best regards,
Mikkel

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello everyone,

And thank you very much for your response. Indeed I'm from the other side of the Atlantic... which means I don't get the benefit of great value for money HIFI like Emotiva and SVS :mad:

Anyway, from your posts I take notice of a) the H/K receiver delivers sufficient power and current to drive my speakers (also at 4 ohm), b) maybe, though, not with the greatest of greatest headroom, so c) if needed I could indeed consider e.g. the Behringer A500.

Besides headroom, will additional power add any other quality to the sound reproduction? If not I'll just stay with the H/K for now.

Oh, btw, the A500 has unbalanced RCA-input, so should be no problem connecting the pre-amp out from the H/K to the Behringer.

Again thank you very much everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Best regards,
Mikkel
Other than possibility to damage your speakers with too much power, you are will not gain any additional quality with new amp

Sorry about A500 - I should have checked before, but most behringers do :eek:

M

Mikkel

Audiophyte
@BoredSysAdmin: I see. Wouldn't want that to happen! :D Thank you for the advice and for saving me some money :).

I'll consider using them for some DRC-software like Audiolense instead, then.

Best regards,
Mikkel

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis