Will high quality headphones matter if I only listen to Pandora/Spotify?

B

Bradfb

Audiophyte
Hello. I listen to music a lot. It's only Pandora and my playlists on Spotify though. I figured that I'd get high quality headphones since I'm listening to music so much. I'm currently planning to get a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 headphones (I need bluetooth). I wanted these because of all the reviews online and on Amazon, raving about what good sound quality they have. I have been assuming that everyone listens to Pandora or Spotify, but then I read about FLAC files. So I'm thinking that people might be writing their reviews based on higher quality music that has been purchased. Would headphones like these Sennheisers in my cart be a waste of money since I'm only listening to Spotify/Pandora and not high quality music? I don't care about the noise cancellation too much.

Thank you,
Brad

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You will benefit from them even with those sources and momentum 2.0 are good headphones that should last for quite a while.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I will add, very high quality headphones or other gear and speakers may reveal the difference between MP3 and Lossless FLAC, where lower quality gear may mask the differences.

But, I still would not personally go for a lesser quality piece of gear just to listen to lesser quality recordings.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
A good pair of headphones make a good 320k recording sound as it should. A mediocre pair will make all formats sound so-and-so. There is quite a bit to gain on transducers by buying a good quality one. A 1% difference in THD is audible - you may be looking at more than that between a good pair of headphones and a bad one. I still think there is a difference between 24bit/48Khz let's say and 320k mp3 but you might need Senny 600/650 Beyer 880 etc to hear the difference (provided your hearing is very good to begin with).

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
I have Sennheisers but an older wireless RF model. They are not comfortable after wearing them for a long time, they press against your head as if a headache is coming on but I'm not sure what headphone design would make it more comfortable.

C

cujobob

Enthusiast
A good speaker or headphone may have better imaging, soundstage, detail retrieval, frequency response, or dynamics...even with lower quality recordings you'll see benefits. The amount of detail goes up significantly when you go from poor quality to high bitrate MP3 or Lossless.

J

jmalecki05

Junior Audioholic
If you are only streaming at non-lossless quality and the listening is for entertainment (rather than deep critical listening), then you should be great with a sub 100 pair. Focus on style and comfort. Also, how you listen is important (i.e. workout and running would be in ear vs. stationary would be more of a personal preference).

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
A good speaker or headphone may have better imaging, soundstage, detail retrieval, frequency response, or dynamics...even with lower quality recordings you'll see benefits. The amount of detail goes up significantly when you go from poor quality to high bitrate MP3 or Lossless.
I agree.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello. I listen to music a lot. It's only Pandora and my playlists on Spotify though. I figured that I'd get high quality headphones since I'm listening to music so much. I'm currently planning to get a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 headphones (I need bluetooth). I wanted these because of all the reviews online and on Amazon, raving about what good sound quality they have. I have been assuming that everyone listens to Pandora or Spotify, but then I read about FLAC files. So I'm thinking that people might be writing their reviews based on higher quality music that has been purchased. Would headphones like these Sennheisers in my cart be a waste of money since I'm only listening to Spotify/Pandora and not high quality music? I don't care about the noise cancellation too much.

Thank you,
Brad
Do the free trial for Pandora One- it's definitely better.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I got on sprint promo for 6m Tidal. Sound quality is fine, but I'm not impressed with selection nor music styles discovery. You basically almost must know the artist that you're looking for.
No sub-genres and very little relevant similar artists suggestions.

As for headphones - I say thing wrong with sticking to your budget, but I think it's best try to find best performing phones for the budget possible. Comfort is secondary. Style, I never bother considering unless it's something ridiculously looking.
IE:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis