Will BIG 4k TV's take over the market!!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'm sure all of you have seen by now that 4K TV's are hitting the 100" mark and growing! Hisense will be releasing a 110" model this year and TCL is going to be releasing a 115" model this year at some point. Not sure what the price's will be. But rumor mill has them under $20k. I'm sure if you waited for them to hit sale prices during black Friday and end of year sales in time for the Super bowl, you could probably get them for a steal. Like people did when Hisense slashed their 100" TV down to $2k a couple weeks ago.

My main question is, will these 100"+ models start taking a piece of the projector market? Could we see TV manufacturers hit the 120" or 150" in the next few years? With 4k TV's getting cheaper every year I can see these companies releasing bigger TV's to go after the projector base. The Samsung Wall LED panels are becoming more popular, but the price of entry is way above what the AVG home theater enthusiast is willing to spend. Until the LED Panel prices come down into the affordable range, I think the 4k TV market should totally shoot for the moon and keep making bigger and bigger TV's.

Think if Sony or LG was able to create a 120-150" OLED for $25K. Would you purchase one? Right now in the projector world there are only a few projectors that can even come close to OLED quality and the price for entry is $100k+. The only projector in the world that can actually match OLED is the Christie Eclipse which costs $400K. So $25k doesn't sound all that bad. :D :cool:

What are your thoughts and opinions?

tv1.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The issue I see is the physical size of the display and the difficulty in transportation and installation. How would you safely ship a 150" TV with a panel that is 20mm thick? Are these rigid enough that two people can safely install one? Does a 150" screen even fit through a standard door opening? That places them in the commercial market as opposed to residential. For residential applications I could see them working towards flexible panels that are easily transported. We have seen some roll top displays although the pricing is still very high. If you could roll up the display for shipping that would make transportation and installation much easier. One advantage that projection systems would still have, though, is the ability to put speakers behind the screen. When screens start to get that large, you likely need centre channel speakers above and below the display to centre the audio.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have room for a display that large, but I don't have a place to mount it lol. The wall that my current TV is on has a window and is the only layout that will work in this room. I have it mounted on a free standing mount that can't get any taller, so going bigger than maybe 85" isn't likely for me in this room.

I don't think it will really take over, because most people don't have room for something that size.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
TV screens of 150" diagonal size is somewhat usable size for 8k TV, but I don't think this combination will ever become affordable enough to be anywhere near to "take over the market"
Again, I'd like to remind of this little chart - 8k is basically below the lower purple line.

1708013848556.png

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I have room for a display that large, but I don't have a place to mount it lol. The wall that my current TV is on has a window and is the only layout that will work in this room. I have it mounted on a free standing mount that can't get any taller, so going bigger than maybe 85" isn't likely for me in this room.

I don't think it will really take over, because most people don't have room for something that size.
In my current setup I have a 115" screen. So I'm actually considering looking into the TCL 115" TV. It would fit perfectly where my screen is. I would just need to look into some nice wall mounts that can hold a 200lb TV. haha.

I think 120" will be a sweat spot for a lot of people. I could easily see when a 120" TV hits the market, it will take a bite out of the projector market.

I still think projectors serve a big purpose for a good amount of people who go 150"+ screen size. The comment from Eppie is correct, I think total size of a TV at 150" would be massive to ship and try and get into someone's home. I think there might have to be a cut-off point for TV companies. My absolute guess would be 120" being the max. But I'm sure someone crazy will go above that at some point. And will be used more on the commercial side vs consumer side.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MicroLED will bring giant TVs as well. I think CES last year and the year before Samsung had "The Wall" which is a multi-array micro LED panel that is size configurable to like 180". MicroLED isn't consumer cost friendly yet, but I think it will be soon.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
MicroLED will bring giant TVs as well. I think CES last year and the year before Samsung had "The Wall" which is a multi-array micro LED panel that is size configurable to like 180". MicroLED isn't consumer cost friendly yet, but I think it will be soon.
Right now, Samsung The Wall has a 146" size TV package going for $220k plus $9k for installation. Haha! worth it!

I believe Samsung built close to a 300" version at CES a couple years ago. Which was like $1 million for that size at the time.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Right now, Samsung The Wall has a 146" size TV package going for $220k plus $9k for installation. Haha! worth it!

I believe Samsung built close to a 300" version at CES a couple years ago. Which was like $1 million for that size at the time.
MicroLED can be configured to massive sizes and shapes, that's the idea. I don't think those 300" and up screens are really meant for consumers lol. That's more for advertising and company lobbies/showcases.

And then there is this that I saw them building the last time I was in LA, traditional LED arrays I believe, not microLED:

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
MicroLED can be configured to massive sizes and shapes, that's the idea. I don't think those 300" and up screens are really meant for consumers lol. That's more for advertising and company lobbies/showcases.

And then there is this that I saw them building the last time I was in LA, traditional LED arrays I believe, not microLED:

I think there will always be a need for projectors. People who want big screens and their speakers behind the screens, like a real movie theater. I think the panels and bigger TV's will definitely sway some people from purchasing projectors. Especially those who don't have dedicated theater space and use their living rooms for entertainment.

So, if someone does go with, let's say 150" microLED panel, would you use one or two center channels? Put one above and below and have both tilted a bit? Or just below? No tilt?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is NO question that these large format displays are going to impact the projector market.

As they should!

When you look at the price of a UST projector with a matching UST/ALR screen, the price is in the $4,000+ arena. Cheaper on sale at times, but the brighter models often come in above $5,000 completely purchased, not including the setup. At the end of the day, if you can only fit 100" in your space, then getting a UST projector vs. a 100" TCL for $3,000, the TCL will destroy the performance of almost all the projectors on the market in a typical family room.

Some people talk their stuff about a TV that size not fitting, blah, blah, blah. Same crap about electric cars vs. gas cars. WHO CARES!?!? If it doesn't work for you, then don't buy it. Buy what works for you. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense for a lot of other people out there.

The "Doesn't fit through my door" claim is also really questionable as a 100" TV is in the same size range as a 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall, which fit into most people's homes at some point to build the entire thing.

I've worked with 98" TVs for years now on the commercial side of things. You can stand them on end to fit them into elevators. They fit through doorways easily. Going up to 110" isn't going to drastically change things. The 110" diagonal is 8' wide and 4.5' tall. Yeah, it will fit through your door easily. But, it may struggle around corners and at that size may not fit for everyone. Which isn't the point.

The point is that once pricing for 110" is more in the $5,000 range, then it will be incredibly disruptive to the projector market. Especially the mid/upper level market.

My wife isn't going to be all that happy when I replace our perfectly good 85" TV with a 110" TV... but it will happen once the pricing gets where it needs to be.

But, just because it doesn't work for you, don't ruin it for everyone else by thinking the rest of the world is YOUR use case! That's just dumb, dumb, dumb.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
One centre speaker at floor level never sounded like a good idea to me. I think top mounted would work better but above and below the screen sounds logical for screens that size. It's so uncommon though that I have not come across any articles on it.

Let's face it... what we really want is a personal Sphere! :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One centre speaker at floor level never sounded like a good idea to me. I think top mounted would work better but above and below the screen sounds logical for screens that size. It's so uncommon though that I have not come across any articles on it.

Don't need the outside, but the inside would be cool to watch movies at home :)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

I bet watching Avatar in 3D in that thing would be pretty cool! :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not for me particularly. Don't really have the room/space/desire to implement such

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
To put in perspective, on Young Sheldon last night they had just bought a new 27-inch CRT TV in the 1980s. He was so amazed that he exclaimed that it was just like being at a movie theatre. :) Funny how things change I have a 60 4k in my living room at about 8 feet viewing distance. I guess my stand could hold a 65 but what's the point?
But I would love to see one of those 120s in person.:)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Big 100" TV's, If you have the space go for it. In our home 65" works perfect plus I just don't have the space, plus our cabinet space is limited at 72". Right now there are some great LG deals on their C3 sets.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
All my TVs are Sony, but I have quite a few friends who have purchased the Hisense U8 TVs and are very happy with the picture quality (software not so much). I will be considering their upcoming 110" model they demo'd at CES for my HT room. If I do, I will buy some sort of extended warranty lol

Hisense 110UX

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If I do, I will buy some sort of extended warranty lol
A VERY extended warranty :D Case in point, my brother always a sucker for a good saleman, bought a Hisense French door fridge. 3 months, thankfully his warranty replaced the condenser . one year later, the ice maker, then a 55k recall on their door hinges. But like anything made anywhere, proceed with caution, do your investigative research and get a decent extended warranty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A VERY extended warranty :D Case in point, my brother always a sucker for a good saleman, bought a Hisense French door fridge. 3 months, thankfully his warranty replaced the condenser . one year later, the ice maker, then a 55k recall on their door hinges. But like anything made anywhere, proceed with caution, do your investigative research and get a decent extended warranty.
And make sure the extended warranty covers IN-HOME repair since you're not taking that 200 LBS 110" TV anywhere. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

It's worth every penny.......if you're a billionaire. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis