Wii U Nets Nintendo It's Third Year Annual Loss - $457 Million

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With the talk of developers being sparse for content due to the fact that it was impossible to make money making titles for the Wii U due to low sales, I'm surprised they haven't come out with something new already. No doubt something is in development, but they're probably being a bit cautious so as not to put out yet another disastrous product. Gimmicky hardware isn't going to cut it for a game system, you've got to have the titles or there's no reason for people to buy. The Wii that is in so many homes right now is likely sufficient and is a factor in why a large percentage of those homes did not step up to a U. It used to be the sort of thing that younger kids wanted so it was a hot item at Christmas, but that target audience all have tablets and phones now, so the market for a cheap casual gaming system is also significantly reduced.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
With the talk of developers being sparse for content due to the fact that it was impossible to make money making titles for the Wii U due to low sales, I'm surprised they haven't come out with something new already. No doubt something is in development, but they're probably being a bit cautious so as not to put out yet another disastrous product. Gimmicky hardware isn't going to cut it for a game system, you've got to have the titles or there's no reason for people to buy. The Wii that is in so many homes right now is likely sufficient and is a factor in why a large percentage of those homes did not step up to a U. It used to be the sort of thing that younger kids wanted so it was a hot item at Christmas, but that target audience all have tablets and phones now, so the market for a cheap casual gaming system is also significantly reduced.
Yup, they pretty much set themselves up for failure. The Wii had a some pretty good games, and a handful of "must play" games. But, I agree that the motion control is more gimmick than anything, but granted that it did work out very well for some games.

But, the mistake was trying to bring in the fringe of the gamer market. It worked well for the Wii, but the hard-core gamers never adopted the Wii. Now the market isn't there for a dedicated console for the casual gamer, and they have turned their back on the core gamer, so nobody is left to buy the Wii U.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In the beginning, they were the ones who took the market over night with the hot product. Now they're the ones who got caught with their pants down and can't react fast enough to a market that has changed significantly while they tried to get by on their past successes.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
In the beginning, they were the ones who took the market over night with the hot product. Now they're the ones who got caught with their pants down and can't react fast enough to a market that has changed significantly while they tried to get by on their past successes.
This is exactly the thing with the casual market. Nintendo were fools to appeal to and think that the casuals would continue to invest for a second go around with the Wii U.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sure they'll be back. I wish they'd make games for the other consoles. Seriously they make amazing games.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No doubt they are planning their next strategy now. I highly doubt they'll go quietly and certainly won't die off from something like this.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis