C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
The Truth series is an active monitor (self-powered).

M&K makes awesome active speakers/monitors.
Genelec makes great ones too, as do a number of other companies.

Those Behringers are "low-budget" active monitors but are great for the money and would work just fine in a home theater application. I have seen a number of people use them in DJ booths at big clubs and such as near-field monitors. That seems to be their big intent. The Truth's are basically Genelec clones and are a good entry level studio monitor. But the Genelecs are far more expensive.

I'm partial to the "Studio monitor" sound and companies that stick to that: M&K and Genelec, more specifically. I have found that my M&K S-150s (the passive version, they also make an active version - even more expensive though) sound better then speakers many times their price.

When shopping active, the internal amp makes a big difference in sound too. That Behringer probably doesn't have a very impressive amp and probably just has one handling both the highs and lows (which a higher end one will have seperate amps).

-Chad

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Monitors like the one mentioned can work great in a home theater. The Behringer are a great deal and sound awesome. I prefer the active NHTs or the Genelecs, but they are more expensive.

One thing to consider is the size of the room. Many of these monitors are designed for near field use and may not produce the SPL needed for a large room.

W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
Actually, my link is to TRUTH B2031P, the passive version of the more well known 2031A active monitor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis