Why I went with the Aperion VGT over others.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
They are caused by diffraction. A combination of baffle edges, tweeter's faceplate, and grill.
Now that would make much more sense than the breakup theory! It would still result in bacon though. :D The peaks and dips are there regardless of what is causing them. That said, at least the tweeter isn't totally bonkers...someone should really design a new grill and cabinet!

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Okay sorry if this is totally off the wall and doesn't make any sense, but if the baffle width can cause problems like this..why not make a spherical cabinet or one that is slightly wider than the driver being used?

I understand the speaker in question would end up looking like....a snowman lol....but it's a serious question.

R

ridikas

Banned
Okay sorry if this is totally off the wall and doesn't make any sense, but if the baffle width can cause problems like this..why not make a spherical cabinet or one that is slightly wider than the driver being used?

I understand the speaker in question would end up looking like....a snowman lol....but it's a serious question.
They do. Take a look at B&W...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Paradigm Studio 20's tweeter does not have break-up from 4kHz-20kHz. It's actually a very clean, low distortion, and well designed tweeter. The break-up happens just above 20kHz. There's no bacon there. The speaker may have faults elsewhere, but not here. I hate to see a very good product diminished by very false statements.
There was bacon.
I don't pretend to have the experience to know what the cause was, and as I said it was slight and I did not notice it until I A-B'ed it against a speaker which had clean sound in this respect.
If you are saying the tweeter was not the source, I may well be mistaken on that count. Regardless of the source, it was there and I would consider it a flaw in the design of these speaker.
However, I'd still consider them a good value for the $800 I paid for the pair.

PS What was it that causes you to consider my statement "very false" as opposed to simply "false"?

R

ridikas

Banned
There was bacon.
I don't pretend to have the experience to know what the cause was, and as I said it was slight and I did not notice it until I A-B'ed it against a speaker which had clean sound in this respect.
If you are saying the tweeter was not the source, I may well be mistaken on that count. Regardless of the source, it was there and I would consider it a flaw in the design of these speaker.
However, I'd still consider them a good value for the $800 I paid for the pair.

PS What was it that causes you to consider my statement "very false" as opposed to simply "false"?
That was in regards to Monk saying that the tweeters have a break-up spanning from 4kHz-20kHz...

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja

They do and it looks nothing like a snowman :D, Proclaim Audioworks DMT-100,

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
update

Stereophile seems to attribute the peaks and dips to the grill. KEW, did you have the grill on while listening? :D
I did, but it was still heating up and I had not put the steaks on yet!:p

I'm not sure, I went back reading my reviews of this speaker and could not find mention of it. I generally never use the grills, and the Studio20's are really good looking with the grill off

Somewhere, I had read among Paradigm's literature that the grill was designed to optimize the sound of the speaker (contoured to reduce diffraction, I believe); but I'm not sure if this was for my Studio20's, my Sig 2's, or both. IIRC, the grill structure had a contour which was supposed to reduce diffraction.

Last edited:
Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I'm sure the OP had no idea his post would set off a great discussion :).
Your right. :D
Yes, I tried everything with the CM9's. They are too bright,period. Honestly the Aperions have a similar sound but without the brightness,plus the Aperions have tons more bass..

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
When My Gf and I were listening to the CM9 and CM8's,we liked the 8's more with a sub. They sounded smoother. The Sonus Faber Venere's we agreed sounded the best. Nice and smooth,no fatiguing at all. The CM's were way brighter,and I wouldn't even say more detailed,it was noisier. They do have an open sound to them but so do the Aperions without all the upper noise.

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
It is great you put in the effort to get several good speakers in your home and determine the one that best suits you.
Maybe there is another thread you can link to, but what was your criteria for these speakers? Were all of these speakers you could listen to without penalty if you decided to return them?

If you decide to keep the VGT system, will you add the matching bookshelf speakers for rear/surround? I ask because I would love to hear your thoughts on the towers vs bookshelves as mains in a 2.1 system (if you have the inclination/time)!
The criteria I was looking for 50/50 movies/music. I didn't want a bright speaker,so I started to gravitate towards a silk dome tweeter. Honestly,I could have easily lived with Monitor audio's RX8's,ML Electromotion ESL's ,maybe even the B&W CM8/9's. I didn't want to spend over $2200 on the towers tho. I wanted speakers big enough to fill a 2200 sq ft basement. I wanted a beefy center channel. Honestly had no idea what to expect out of Aperion,but I always wanted to try them out,so I did. The Aperions fill the room more than the RX8's. I have a few nit picks with the Aperions I already went over in my 1st post. But so far ,they impress! They have by far the best bass I've heard from any speaker I've tried,except the def tech's,but that isn't a fair comparison.

Bookshelf speakers,I thought about,but I honestly like the look of having a floor stander. Plus,Titus the Boxer dog might have knocked them over.. ;)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
That was in regards to Monk saying that the tweeters have a break-up spanning from 4kHz-20kHz...
In my defense, I did say it was very unlikely. :)

I wonder if even cardboard would flex that much?!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis