Why does Dolby Digital 5.1 work and DTS does NOT?

• Thread starter seduce-n-conquer
  • Start date
S

seduce-n-conquer

Audiophyte
Hey guys!

Sony has the WORST support in the world and their "tech support" people are a joke; I've wasted 6 weeks time trying to get an answer and even Tech Support 2 can't figure it out! I am HOPING you guys can give me an actual solution that works.

My setup:

KDL-70W850B TV

STR-DN1050 AVR

I have a Hi-speed HDMI cable connected to the ARC channel of both devices.

My issue:

I play MKV movies (with DTS, DTS HD, or Dolby Digital 5.1 audio streams) from a USB stick that is plugged into my TV. When playing movies that have Dolby Digital 5.1, my TV says Dolby Digital, the Dolby Digital symbol lights up on the AVR display and I can tell it's playing true 5.1 surround sound. GOOD!

BUT, when playing movies with DTS or DTS HD, my TV says DTS Surround, my AVR's display says Linear PCM, then the Dolby PL symbol lights up, and it is NOT 5.1 surround sound. BAD!

I want the DTS or DTS HD symbol to light up on my AVR display and to have it play properly with true 5.1 surround. PLEASE HELP!

Here are the settings I've tried:

TV:

Settings/Sound/Speakers --> Audio System

Settings/Sound/Headphone or Audio Out --> Audio Out

Settings/Sound/Sound Adjustments/Surround Effect --> (not sure about this setting, I think it is at +6)

Settings/Sound/Sound Adjustments/Sound Mode --> Cinema

Settings/Sound/Sound Adjustments/Auto Surround --> On

AVR:
Settings/HDMI/Control for HDMI --> On

Settings/HDMI/Audio Out --> AMP

Settings/Audio Settings/Sound Field --> have tried both HD DCS as well as AFD Auto

Input = TV

Options/Input (Auto, Optical, ???) --> Auto

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like you should see a setting in the AVR's audio menu for DTS bit stream/PCM...check bit stream.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I looked through the manual for your Sony, and I don't see DTS listed as an audio output option. It lists Dolby Digital and Linear PCM. My guess is that your TV can interpret DTS audio and play it, but it cannot output it in the original DTS format.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I don't know of a TV that can pass thru a DTS signal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis