Why does a larger enclosure give you more output?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Does this mean that you are going to stop flirting with him?
Just to allay any concerns or appearance of impropriety here, lsiberian is not my mother, though if Alex would like to flirt with her, I'd be more than happy to give him her phone number.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just to allay any concerns or appearance of impropriety here, lsiberian is not my mother, though if Alex would like to flirt with her, I'd be more than happy to give him her phone number.
Really, the thought of having Alex as your step-dad doesn't bother you at all?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Really, the thought of having Alex as your step-dad doesn't bother you at all?
No, not a bit. My father, long deceased, thought my interest in music and audio was silly, and discouraged it. I'd bet Alex would be at least neutral on audio, perhaps even supportive. I would also think that Alex wouldn't try to push me into becoming an accountant either.

annunaki

annunaki

You are mistaken.

The larger the box the lower the tuning. The lower the sub goes. The smaller the box the higher the tuning the louder it plays.
A simple modeling program that xmax limits your design can easily demonstrate this.

As Irving stated your scenario isn't possible.
While this statement is partially true, it has its limits and compromises as well. The smaller the enclosure for a given woofer the higher the output, while narrowing the bandwidth and I creating the Fs and Qtc. There will be a point in which a larger enclosure actually is louder. More of a technical footnote here I suppose. ;)

Regardless it is all about compromise when it comes to designing the correct enclosure for a given driver. What can you live with? Size, output, LF capability/bandwidth. Pick any of the two but you can't have all 3.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the info Swerd, good stuff. It definitely helps fill out the picture for me. After some googling, it seems that the most preferred Qtc is .707. Am I right in thinking that not all commercial subs go by .707? Take the FR of the Cadence CSX15 mk2, for example, that looks like the FR of a high Qtc.
Glad to know that made sense to you.

A Qtc of 0.71 (or lower) is what I'd shoot for, but I don't know if its the most preferred.

If I had to describe in words the sound of woofers with different Q, I'd say low Q (about 0.5 to 0.7) sounds "lean" or "dry", and high Q (1 or higher) sounds "fat" or "boomy".

Yes, you're right, not all commercial subs (or commercial speakers of any kind) go for Q = 0.7. The example you linked sure looks like it has a very high Q (elevated response from about 60 Hz to well over 100 Hz). It often is used to make a cheaper woofer sound like it has more potent bass, while keeping the cabinet small.

Many people get used to listening to bass from woofers with high Q. Their poor damping allows them to ring so much that it makes the upper bass/lower midrange sound muddy. Think of how car audio can sound with cheap speakers when the bass is boosted too high. When people first hear speakers with low Q bass, they often think the speakers lack bass slam :D.

M

McR

Enthusiast
As long as speaker & box are matched ,bigger box moves more air.An old altec voice of the theater with a 80 watt driver will still put many high powered small boxes to shame. Its up to you ,big boxes with less power,or small boxes that require lots of power. Hope this helps,as simple as i can make it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis