Why do folks like the Spiderman flicks so much?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I saw Superman Returns this weekend. However looking at the revenue stats it fell well short of the mark of Spiderman II 5 day record. Besides the fact that ticket revenue is almost a useless stat for comparing films. I think a better stat would be tickets sold.

Why is it that folks like the Spiderman movies so much. Even the first one, without any track record with fans, raked in a boatload of money. When the trailer for Spiderman 3 showed on the screen, the crowd went nuts. The last time I saw that happened was with the Trailer to Star Wars: Phantom Menace (before people saw the movie)

Why do you guys think people like the Spiderman movies so much?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have no idea, because I felt like I wasted my money going to see the first Spidey in the theater.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
mpompey said:
Why do you guys think people like the Spiderman movies so much?
Probably because they are the best of the comic book movies I have seen. I wasn't too impressed with the first Spiderman, but I really liked the second one. And with Venom being in the 3rd movie, it should really kick ***! If they do it right, that is.

Comic book movies have really been pretty crappy in my opinion. As a faithful X-men comic book reader as a kid, I thought all three X-men movies sucked. The last one was decent. Of the 3, it disappointed me the least. Superman returns was hella boring. I almost fell asleep. If I wanted to see a chick flick, I would have went and saw The Break-Up. At least you get to see Jennifer Aniston naked in that one.

I didn't even bother with Fantastic Four. Even Jessica Alba in her underwear isn't enough to make that piece of crap watchable.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
darien87 said:
Probably because they are the best of the comic book movies I have seen. I wasn't too impressed with the first Spiderman, but I really liked the second one. And with Venom being in the 3rd movie, it should really kick ***! If they do it right, that is.

Comic book movies have really been pretty crappy in my opinion. As a faithful X-men comic book reader as a kid, I thought all three X-men movies sucked. The last one was decent. Of the 3, it disappointed me the least. Superman returns was hella boring. I almost fell asleep. If I wanted to see a chick flick, I would have went and saw The Break-Up. At least you get to see Jennifer Aniston naked in that one.

I didn't even bother with Fantastic Four. Even Jessica Alba in her underwear isn't enough to make that piece of crap watchable.
Batman Begins was good.

SheepStar

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
darien87 said:
If I wanted to see a chick flick, I would have went and saw The Break-Up. At least you get to see Jennifer Aniston naked in that one.
Yeah...um...don't bother. First, it was painful to watch. Second, you only get to see the backside for a second. Not worth the pain of the rest of the movie. (For perspective...my wife was so bored she almost fell asleep)

darien87 said:
So I'm wondering who actually LIKED this movie enough for them to decide to make a sequel. *cringe* That's even worse than someone saying "Hey, I have an idea...let's make Stealth II: Extreme Stealth!" (Note: I'm not aware of any such sequel of Stealth...it is just a figment of my nightmares)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
fantastic four 2? noooooooo. who'd be stupid enough to do that again.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
gmichael said:
Ditto.

And Jessica in her underware can make up for anything.:rolleyes:
No, shes too dumb.

Remember, high pressure sewage pipe.

SheepStar

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

First off, Spider Man is a very popular character right now and has been for years. That helped the movies. Secondly, the films were very very good- Ebert even called the 2nd one one of the best films of the year. The reviews of both Spidey films were uniformly good. Casting was an important element, too- McGuire, Dunst & DeFoe are fine actors with pretty broad fan bases. And they were vigorously promoted, which helps.

In contrast, the reviews have been unkind to Superman Returns, and the precipitous 2nd week drop generally can be attributed to poor word of mouth (ie those who saw the movie are telling people they didn't like it). The reviews have been uniformly poor, with Ebert giving it 2 stars. Routh, particularly, has been criticized as being very flat & bland (the rumor circulating is that the only reason he was hired was his uncanny resemblance to Reeves...). The only actor of much note is Spacey, and even his reviews have been mixed in this one. Lastly, I don't think the studio did a very good job of promoting the film.

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
One other reason..How many remakes does it take for customers to become turned off?
I went with a good friend who really was a big Superman fan but other then that, I would have waited till it came out on video. Multiple Superman movies and multiple tv shows (series). All of it really takes the excitement out of it.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

That's probably true, too. Several series & cartoons on TV over the years.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Actually, aside from the stupid looking digital monsters, I kinda liked HellBoy.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I didn't think much of Hellboy when I originally saw it in the theater, but I liked it a lot more the second time when I watched it from DVD. Sure, there's some bad effects and the plot's pretty lame. But there are some good performances, especially from Perleman as HB.

And it doesn't hurt that Selma Blair is a total fox.:D

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
The answer is obvious!

Sam Raimi the director of both highly successful Spiderman movies had his good friend Bruce Campbell do cameos in both movies. Bruce Campbell didn't do any cameos in those OTHER comic book movies. I rest my case!

Alright, it was also because they were very good! Superman Returns rehashed a lot of dialogue and jokes from the first movie. X men, I liked the 1st two, but thought the last one was lackluster.

Electra, Batwoman, Fantastic Four, the Hulk, Batman III and IV, Daredevil, the Punisher, Superman III and IV uggh ouuh brleahhahhh

Burtons 1st two batman movies were fun, and Nolans vision was great.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
BostonMark said:
Electra, Batwoman, Fantastic Four, the Hulk, Batman III and IV, Daredevil, the Punisher, Superman III and IV uggh ouuh brleahhahhh

Burtons 1st two batman movies were fun, and Nolans vision was great.
Elektra - failed because people remember Ben Affleck when they see Jennifer Garner

Batwoman - when was this? (or do you mean catwoman? :p )

FF4 - simply corny

HULK - CGI has not yet matured to a point where people will ask, which one is real, which one isn't

Batman III and IV - the stupid director converted the "DARK KNIGHT" into the "GAY KNIGHT" the brooding, vengeful batman got lost in the director's AH. and the frikkin nipples on the costumes! c'mon!

Daredevil - Ben Affleck, I rest my case.

Punisher - Dolph Lundgren or an action hero surnamed "Jane" (although, I have no complaints with both versions, but the Punisher simply isn't a superhero.) we got enough of Rambo-alikes.

Superman III and IV, I forgot which is which but ... Nuclear Man? hahahaha

just like you, I like Burton and Nolan's version of batman.

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
Cat woman

Yes, it was late when I posted! CATwoman! LOL

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
mike c said:
Batman III and IV - the stupid director converted the "DARK KNIGHT" into the "GAY KNIGHT" the brooding, vengeful batman got lost in the director's AH. and the frikkin nipples on the costumes! c'mon!
Boy finally someone who gets it, did you see all the gay overtones in the batman and robin movie? OMG It was so littered with them it was nauseating. I bet I saw some you didn't. Here are a few I am pretty sure about, been long time since I saw it. The tightrope scene, close-ups of all the peoples rears except the female's, the nipples as you said, and the grossest one is the armor scene, where you see a shot of a butt armor followed by a fist or vice/versa. Just sick man that a director has to destroy a comic book hero like that.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
holy $ht, I saw those but thought nothing of those. hahahaha
as$ shot and then fist!?
i didn't know there were more symbolisms injected by the director ...

I was actually talking about his replacing the dark and gloomy gotham into a colorful cartoony one. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So, I think it will be interesting to see how they come up with the creation of Venom, as it was a completely separate story from any other of the Spidey series.

Ben Affleck wasn't the only reason why Daredevil sucked...they could have put just about anyone in the role of Murdock and it still would have been a lousy movie.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis