Why are Onkyo receivers the only THX certified receivers?

G

guitarplyrstevo

Audioholic
Does it really make that much of a difference or is it just a marketing thing? The reason I ask is because even some of the top model Denon, Yamaha, and others do not have that certification.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
There are receivers that would meet the requirements of that certification, but the companies decided not to spend the money to get them certified. I happen to like the THX sound mode on my Pioneer (another brand that has models with the certification).

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Hmmmm, My Yamaha RX-V1500 is supposedly "THX Select"...

Not sure if it's certified, or if it just uses the THX decoding specs...

Does my Denon POA-5200 (THX certified) sound any better than my Behringer A500's???? No. In fact the behringer has much more headroom, so it might be fair to argue that it would sound better over a wider dynamic range... :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Does it really make that much of a difference or is it just a marketing thing? The reason I ask is because even some of the top model Denon, Yamaha, and others do not have that certification.
They used to, but it's really not all that special. Many consumers are likely feeling like it's not all it's cracked up to be.:)

J

jamie2112

Banned
I am one of those consumers who think its not all its cracked up to be......My dolbypl-ll is just fine

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Mainly it isa set of more stringent guidlines to follow in sound and manufacturing. Kind of like a higher form of QC.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Mainly it isa set of more stringent guidlines to follow in sound and manufacturing. Kind of like a higher form of QC.
And the royalties of having teh THX certification are passed on to the consumers. I'll say no thanks to THX. I don't need components with that certificatiion to build a top notch audio system.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Cables receive THX certification so that gives you an idea of how important it is. Pay your money, get your certification. It was a good idea in the beginning but it was soon prostituted and made meaningless for the most part.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It is not marketing but we forget that THX certification and getting the best sound, or rather getting sound reproduction similar to what took place on a THX mixing stage involves more than just a THX receiver.
The chain is very long: speakers, room, acoustics, wire, etc
So, while you would be getting a component of known performance, lacking the other links in the chain would not mean much overall.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Cables receive THX certification so that gives you an idea of how important it is. Pay your money, get your certification. It was a good idea in the beginning but it was soon prostituted and made meaningless for the most part.
This.

THX was supposed to be an audio/video quality assurance standard for theaters. How it evolved into this is anyone's guess.

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
The Marantz SR8002 and SR7002 both are THX Select2 Certified.

I own the SR7002 and dont find anything special about the THX certification, and it did not affect my decision to purchase.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
My Yamaha receiver is THX certified. THX is supposed to mean it performs to THX’s standards for quality of sound output and volume. There is also a THX processing mode you can select which is supposed to compensate for movie audio tracks being made to play loud in theaters. The THX circuit adapts the soundtrack to sound better in a typical living room at home. I usually use another processing mode, where the THX processor is seldom used. I wouldn’t pay extra for THX certification if a comparable receiver is priced lower without THX.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis