• Integra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forget a Processor and get a H/T Reciever

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters
M

Maddys

Audioholic Intern
If you had 3K to spend on a H/T Processor, who do you think makes the best?

MaddyS

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
Depends on what you want. I've tried the Anthem AVM-30, the Parasound Halo C2, and the Krell Showcase. I could not tell a difference in terms of sound quality, and the Anthem gives you more for less, so its my pick.

B

buckyg4

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't spend that much because it would be wasted in my room.. But if I did I would buy a used Theta Casablanca.

T

thxgoon

Junior Audioholic
Mmmmmmm, Theata. I've looked at many for myself. What features are you looking for. Personally, the Parasound C2, Anthem AVM-30 and B&K ref 50 are at the top of my list. For a tad more you may also check out the new Lexicon MC4, which supposedly is virtually identical to the MC8.

Has anyone had any experience with the new Outlaw Pre/Pro? I was beggining to consider it as well. The only thing it lacks is THX certification. Otherwise looks pretty solid.

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
Don't forget the Anthem AVM50 will come out soon with full HDMI switching, video upscaling and transcoding, OSD overlay even with upscaling, and a full-fledge Gennum video VXP 7350 scaler (direct HQV competitor).

The "cheapest" stand-alone Gennum processor will be around 3000-4000$ alone, so a lot less $ when already in the Anthem.

This scaler will be able to accept and do 480i to 1080p IN and OUT, and transcode, process and scale all analog inputs to HDMI.

Another thing. The AVM30 (and AVM20 that are 5 years old!) will both be FULLY upgradable to the AVM50.

Show me a receiver that can last for 5 years like the AVM20 and still be current...

And I forgot. Anthem is a Canadian company. :D

K

Kurt C.

Audioholic Intern
eddiem67 said:
Bryston SP2
I second the vote for Bryston, but take issue with the original question.

When comparing, for example, a dolby digital signal output through any two of these excellent processors, I think it is extremely unlikely that you'll be able to hear a difference that is due to processor unless you're adding proprietary DSP. Factors like slight volume differences, your opinion on which one 'should' sound better etc. are far more significant.

I think the fact that these pre/pros sound EXTREMELY similar is a good thing. It means that most of them are so good that, for all practical purposes, they 'do what they're supposed to do' perfectly.

Once you realize this, you are free to make your decision based on easier to judge factors like: which one is better built, looks nicer, or has a unique feature that you desire.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Pre-pro "Sound"

Any decent Pre-pro should have a "unique sound". It should be transparent, have a low noise floor, and contain all the necessary features and DSPs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis