Who is the better actor for you?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Male and/or female.

Charlize Theron in Monster comes to mind as forgetting who she is. I was worried we wouldn't get her back!!!:eek:

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
ah, women

Uma Thurman has always been one of my favorites, and she has actually played a number of diverse roles (think Cats and Dogs to Kill Bill). Why oh why did Gary Oldman divorce her? (or did she divorce him). She has done strange stuff like Only Cowgirls Get the Blues to awesome sci fi, Gattica. I think her first role was as VENUS in Gilliams Adventures of Baron von Munchausen.

Speaking of Gary Oldman, didn't a young Natalie Portman try to murder him in Leon the Professional? Ms. Portman is also a very talented versatile actress who is always a pleasure to watch, even if forced to work with the likes of Hayden Christensen. Anyone who can play a role like Matilda at age 12 and move up from there is great in my book. (also see Beautiful Girls, Anywhere but Here, Where the Heart Is, and of course Garden State)(and if you just want to see her look great see Closer)

Classic actress, I like Audrey Hepburn, who could both act (Wait Until Dark), and was a screen legend (Roman Holiday, Breakfast at Tiffanys).

Up and coming, I have begun to notice Sarah Polley, shes done some interesting indie work (My Life without Me), and main stream stuff (Go, Dawn of the Dead 2004 version) Who'd a thought that the cherub in Gilliam's wild Baron Von Munchausen would grow up to be so pretty and resourceful? (ah, see it all ties together like a Seinfeld episode)

Former Queen of Indies: Christina Ricci, why have you stopped doing great stuff (The Opposite of Sex, Pecker, Ice Storm, even the Addams Family) and started doing films like Miranda, Anything Else and Cursed? (I haven't seen Monster or Prozac Nation yet, I am hoping she redeems herself)

well thats what I can think of at the moment

T

turbodog

Audiophyte
Johnny Depp is growing on me as the sort who disappears into a role so completely you forget it's the same guy who played XYZ. Example, Pirates of the Caribbean vs Finding Neverland.

Harrison Ford, to me, is the current king of being successful playing the same role (himself?) over and over, a'la John Wayne.

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
Dakota Fanning. It's just amazing that this kid can act like she does. I am Sam was incredable. Man on Fire was great as well. Ya got to love this kid.

D

DISCMAN

Audioholic Intern
Have you ever seen ROYAL TENENBAUMS or HEARTBREAKERS? Granted I really can't recommend HEARTBREAKERS, but if you think Hackman can only "play one note" I think you should see it for his performance. This isn't an arguement against Oldman, he is both amazing and versatile, but I think you are selling Gene a little short. How many great actors from the late 60's/early 70's are still working as much as Gene.

The one actor I can only see as himself now days is Jack Nicholson. Someday I'm going to count how many movies he is in where a co-star mimics him in the movie [Tom Cruise, Greg Kinnear, one if not all of the ladies in Witches of Eastwick].

Edward Norton, Spacey, and Russell Crowe are some of the best from the last decade in my opinion.

For the ladies I have to go with Sigourney Weaver. Alien series, Ghostbusters, Death & the Maiden (highly recommended if you don't mind a slower but very tense drama) which reminds of another great actor with range Ben Kingsley [GHANDI to SEXY BEAST].

I would also like to bring up Tom Hanks who can pull off anything in my book [Bachelor Party, Big, Forrest Gump, Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, Green Mile, Castaway, The Terminal]

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
tom hanks and jim carrey

tom hanks in castaway/terminal and jim carrey in all his earlier wacky movies (mask, ace ventura, liar liar) come to mind. while Tom Hanks needs no explanation, the earlier movies of Carrey could not have been done by anybody else but him! They just look like they were made with him in mind!:D :D

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
What About Schmidt?

discman, Jack Nicholson certainly goes against his usual JACK in About Schmidt. Although Jack usually plays Jack, he does on occasion show that he can act very well.

Turbo dog, definitely agree on Johnny Depp, did you see him play S. Hunter Thompson in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Depp was barely recognizable!

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
If you didnt know before,would you have known that was Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York. Not me. Daniel Day Lewis. Last of the Mo,one of my fav's.
Kurt Russel
Powers Boothe

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
shokhead said:
If you didnt know before,would you have known that was Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York. Not me. Daniel Day Lewis. Last of the Mo,one of my fav's.
Kurt Russel
Powers Boothe
Daniel Day Lewis...I forgot about him...:eek:

One of the best.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
DISCMAN said:
Have you ever seen ROYAL TENENBAUMS or HEARTBREAKERS? Granted I really can't recommend HEARTBREAKERS, but if you think Hackman can only "play one note" I think you should see it for his performance. This isn't an arguement against Oldman, he is both amazing and versatile, but I think you are selling Gene a little short. How many great actors from the late 60's/early 70's are still working as much as Gene.
I love Gene! I respect him very much. You don't get that kind of quality AND longevity very often.

I wasn't trying to pit these to actors against each other. Just thought I'd see what type of actor people liked better and those names just popped into my head.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
They should make a modern day Airport movie #5 with all the above actors. A few bucks there.

D

dblanch66

Audiophyte
Daniel Day Lewis (My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father)
Russell Crowe (LA Confidential, Master and Commander)
Robert Duvall (EVERYTHING!)
As far as younger actors go, I like Tobey McGuire. Older, nobody beats Brando.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis