S

smokenax

Audiophyte
I currently have a Denon AVR-A1H with balanced pre outs
And a Parasound A31 that I would like to connect to, looking for XLR advise.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lots of great suitable xlr cables out there, or even make your own. Monoprice has some good offerings at good prices. Your local music/guitar store would have a variety, too. Do you have particular requirements? Lots of jewelry type cable out there at ridiculous prices, I'd avoid those.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Look for cables with Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors. Here’s a post that explains why

Re Monoprice, if you go with them: Strangely, their cheaper Stage Right cables have better connectors than their Monolith or Premium lines. I’d avoid those two like the plague. They use the connector type discussed in the link above. Here’s a post with someone claiming Monoprice should be avoided. Unfortunately, he didn’t designate which model line he used, but it was likely one using this type of connector.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

smokenax

Audiophyte
I was looking into the mogami, canare or audioblast do they make a difference?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I currently have a Denon AVR-A1H with balanced pre outs
And a Parasound A31 that I would like to connect to, looking for XLR advise.
Use the RCA jacks- the Parasound isn't true balanced and I doubt the Denon is.

highfigh

highfigh

It's not the cable, it's a matter of having the conductors configured and soldered properly. Most cable for this have a pair of insulated wires that are twisted, along with a bare conductor that serves as the ground and connected to Pin 1. This is usually wrapped in some kind of foil made of Aluminum or braided wire and this shields the conductors, to whatever extent possible.

The cheap cables that come with audio equipment aren't much worse than the good ones, but they can be.

Advertising and lies are the way to riches for people who aren't honest.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The best XLR analog interconnect cables are, Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) manufactured cables.
Because the twisted pair conductors need to be symmetrically placed in the cables cross-section.
The twisted pair are connected to XLR pins 2 & 3.
The best shields are braided.
XLR pin 1 is the shield, there is no 'ground' conductor in an XLR line level interconnect.
However there is a 'ground' conductor in a phantom powered microphone cable.

highfigh

highfigh

The best XLR analog interconnect cables are, Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) manufactured cables.
Because the twisted pair conductors need to be symmetrically placed in the cables cross-section.
The twisted pair are connected to XLR pins 2 & 3.
The best shields are braided.
XLR pin 1 is the shield, there is no 'ground' conductor in an XLR line level interconnect.
However there is a 'ground' conductor in a phantom powered microphone cable.
Why do the cables need to come from a manufacturer?

It's often called 'shield' or 'drain', but Pin 1 conductor is grounded unless it's lifted to minimize problems.

1702225042653.png

We could debate this until the end of time, but let's go back to the OP's question.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I’ve purchased XLR cables from Blue Jeans and SVS. Good quality and reasonably priced.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Mogami and Canare are well respected brands. You would be good with either. I use Mogami. Affordable, and great build quality.

highfigh

highfigh

If not truly balanced then why do they have the balance option? I’m a bit confused.
Marketing- it gets people to believe the equipment is balanced and in the case of many, it's not.

If the source equipment isn't far from the preamp and the preamp isn't far from the power amp(s), balanced LoZ isn't even needed- the reason it was used in the beginning is that it's the best way to connect, but also because nobody had come along with RCA plugs and jacks. In reality, if the equipment chassis were in contact, a negative connection on a shield wasn't needed until someone got the idea to isolate the audio negative/common from the chassis.

It's possible to have hum when using balanced cables- I installed an AV system where the electrician didn't run the feed for the outlets on one end of the cabinet from the box on the other end. I didn't want or have the space for a wad of extra cable in the cabinet, so I made the cables using Canare and Neutrik ends- there was no resistance on any of the wires, but it hummed and it didn't matter which cable was connected, so I tried an unbalanced cable and it was silent, so I made a set, took the balanced cables with me and didn't charge for them.

Parasound isn't complimentary balanced circuitry either, at least at the time when I asked their tech support people about it.

S

smokenax

Audiophyte
Marketing- it gets people to believe the equipment is balanced and in the case of many, it's not.

If the source equipment isn't far from the preamp and the preamp isn't far from the power amp(s), balanced LoZ isn't even needed- the reason it was used in the beginning is that it's the best way to connect, but also because nobody had come along with RCA plugs and jacks. In reality, if the equipment chassis were in contact, a negative connection on a shield wasn't needed until someone got the idea to isolate the audio negative/common from the chassis.

It's possible to have hum when using balanced cables- I installed an AV system where the electrician didn't run the feed for the outlets on one end of the cabinet from the box on the other end. I didn't want or have the space for a wad of extra cable in the cabinet, so I made the cables using Canare and Neutrik ends- there was no resistance on any of the wires, but it hummed and it didn't matter which cable was connected, so I tried an unbalanced cable and it was silent, so I made a set, took the balanced cables with me and didn't charge for them.

Parasound isn't complimentary balanced circuitry either, at least at the time when I asked their tech support people about it.
Ok so you’re saying that it would not make a difference if I used rca’s over xlr? The reason I’m drifting that way is because xlr connection is available and from what I have read everyone seams to prefer xlr over rca if the choice is given. Sorry I’m kind of a noob on This topic.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok so you’re saying that it would not make a difference if I used rca’s over xlr? The reason I’m drifting that way is because xlr connection is available and from what I have read everyone seams to prefer xlr over rca if the choice is given. Sorry I’m kind of a noob on This topic.
Unless the run is very long, then either is equal. There are a lot of ignorant clowns on the Internet who push nonsense on issues like cables and connections.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good conclusion.

highfigh

highfigh

XLR was the only way to connect a lot of equipment in the beginning of audio, along with phone plugs/jacks, which came from the telephone system but balanced/low impedance is the way to go when long cable runs are necessary, like they were in movie theaters and places where mics were needed to allow people in the back of the room to hear what someone was singing or saying.

RCA plugs and jacks were introduced in the 1930s but even now, commercial/industrial equipment uses plugless connections, via terminal strips, screw terminals and Phoenix/Euro connectors. A plug isn't needed and as long as good connections are made, a 1/4" plug that's exactly the same as a stereo headphone jack, XLR, screws etc work equally well.

I would recommend searching online for info about 'XLR plug', 'Balanced vs unbalanced audio' and other similar terms- you'll see links to papers from a company called Rane and I recommend those.

Here's a link-

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis