Which version of The Matrix to get?

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
I need some help deciding which version of the matrix to get.

My decision will be based on the quality of video encoding and audio encoding alone, not features, packaging, etc.

the options are

1. HD DVD version
2. Blu Ray Ultimate Collection
3. Blu Ray 10th Anniversary stand alone movie

can anyone tell me about the differences?

also is there any differences between regions? I am willing to buy a foreign region disk if it has a better encode.

I'd like to know about any differences, I have looked around but not found much information which is why I came here.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The two BD versions are identical from what I understand. I've owned the HD DVD and BD versions and I really can't tell a difference between them. If you enjoyed Animatrix, then that at least comes with the full set, but the video quality is not as good as I had hoped on Animatrix. The movies all look and sound great though.

Last edited:
P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
yeah I read that the animatrix is in 1080p and lossless audio on the bluray while it is not of that quality on the HD DVD version.

I also heard that there is a video encode error on Matrix Revolutions on the bluray version that is not present on the HD DVD version.

so I guess it depends on if you care more about the animatrix or Revolutions, otherwise the rest is the same.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The one that comes in the HD DVD set is the same SD DVD that was originally released, no high def transfer. The one in the BD set does have a high def transfer, but it doesn't really look like they spent any time on it because it isn't much improved from the DVD either.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I have the HD-DVD boxset and the Bluray of the first Matrix. The video transfer is the exact same, but the audio on the Bluray has lossless audio while the HD-DVD transfer is DD+ which is a lossy format at 1.5Mbps.

Go with the Bluray for the better audio.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
* Blu-ray Ultimate Collection.

But the Special Edition "The Matrix" blu-ray individual disc is the same transfer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis