Which stereo setup?

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
I am trying to decide what to do. I have a pair of B&W 604 S3's and I both an ADCOM Pre/Pro and an HK 3490. The ADCOM combo is a GTP-500 pre-amp/tuner and a GFA-555 200x2 amp. I'm using a Sony PS1 SCPH-1001 as my source and also my ipod with Apple Lossless. Which setup do you guys recommend I keep as my every day listening configuration? The ADCOM Pre/Pro or the HK 3490?

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
Here is a pic of my current setup with both the ADCOM and the HK in the rack.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I'd lose the ipod with lossless as a source in a heartbeat (I'm assuming you are running it either from the fixed out via the dock connector or the line out via the headphone out). You can do a lot better (assuming that is how your system is set up) with an iPod. I've heard some pretty good dock connectors before (that rely on the ipod's dock) but frankly most aren't that great. I'd check out the HRT istreamer at $200 or the pure ipod dock at $100. Both bypass the dac in the ipod. Alternatively, I'd get something like the squeezebox touch and stream your lossless files directly to your stereo set up. That's what I do with mine and it works great (and better than any iPod based system I have ever used).

Edit: nice stereo system by the way. I like it.

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
I'd lose the ipod with lossless as a source in a heartbeat (I'm assuming you are running it either from the fixed out via the dock connector or the line out via the headphone out). You can do a lot better (assuming that is how your system is set up) with an iPod. I've heard some pretty good dock connectors before (that rely on the ipod's dock) but frankly most aren't that great. I'd check out the HRT istreamer at $200 or the pure ipod dock at $100. Both bypass the dac in the ipod. Alternatively, I'd get something like the squeezebox touch and stream your lossless files directly to your stereo set up. That's what I do with mine and it works great (and better than any iPod based system I have ever used).

Edit: nice stereo system by the way. I like it.
Yeah, I have looked at the PURE dock before, but hadn't seen the Squeezebox before. Thanks for the heads up.

What do you recommend on the Pre/Pro vs the HK?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, if I had that gear, I'd probably consider using the HK as Pre with the GFA 555 amp the most capable configuration.
The HK does have a good amp section and I question that you would realize an improvement from it, but the GFA-555 is certainly more capable.

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
Well, for now I've decided to go with the HK and temporarily use the Adcom GFA-555 to power my two Kicker CVR subs for my Home Theater so that I can put my MTX SW1212 in my 2 channel system to fill in the bottom end. Surprisingly the CVR's actually sound really good in movies. But I'm not going to leave it like that. I'm gonna sell the ADCOM stuff and put that money into an SVS or HSU Research sub for my HT.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis