Which receiver? Pioneer VSX-1017 vs. Yamaha RX-V663

S

Shicks18

Junior Audioholic
I can get the Pioneer for $300 and the Yamaha for $350. Which one is better to get?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Yamaha RX-V663, the Pioneer doesn't process audio over HDMI at all. The upcomming, and more expensive street priced, VSX-1018TXH will be available this summer and will be a more worthy competitor to the Yamaha RX-V663/863.

The Pioneers have the power, but the VSX-1017 is far behind the competition in processing power and features that fit the "HD" market.

S

Shicks18

Junior Audioholic
How much of a difference does HD processed audio make? Especially if I own a PS3 for Blu-Ray?

What exactly will the Yammy do thats lots better as well? My main use for the HT is Video Games/Movies.

Im just curious cause the Pioneer is on a clearance and might even be cheaper when they scan it (some people have gotten it at $100)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't count on getting it for $100, and I wouldn't allow them to incorrectly ring my merchandise up (moral quarrel).;)

The advantage of HD audio is pretty clear to me, but I am sure people sleeping or nearby neighbors might not understand (the dynamic impact from many soundtracks on Blu-ray, assuming you are using the HD audio, will have you clammering for the volume control at late hours). The audio is much crisper, less edginess for lack of better words.

I just can't recommend an overall inferior product, or taking advantage of even the most evil companies in such a way.;)

C

cruiseoveride

Junior Audioholic
With a company like Yamaha, the heritage is worthy enough of buying blind. Yamaha really hits the performance/price ratio with a sledge hammer.

S

Shicks18

Junior Audioholic
im going to buy the yammy, but not in a hurry since I will be out of town all summer. Only reason I was contemplating the Pioneer was the fact it was on clearance.

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
I have the 663 and the Ps3

How much of a difference does HD processed audio make? Especially if I own a PS3 for Blu-Ray?

What exactly will the Yammy do thats lots better as well? My main use for the HT is Video Games/Movies.

Im just curious cause the Pioneer is on a clearance and might even be cheaper when they scan it (some people have gotten it at $100)

The Yamaha 663 is a great match for the PS3, I just got both about 2 weeks ago. When I bought the PS3, I realized that my older Yamaha didn't have HDMI inputs that I would need to enjoy the new Blu Ray audio codecs, so I checked out the new Yamahas and was quite impressed with the 663. PS3 decodes all the Blu Ray audio codecs and sends them decoded as LPCM to the Yamaha via HDMI. The sound (especially of blu rays in 7.1 DTS HD MA) is AWESOME! I use an Optoma HD70 projector, so the video is equally stunning!

S

sarcilla

Audiophyte
Ps3 + V663

I got both of my units a week ago and am finally getting around to playing with high def audio. I'm disappointed that the receiver will not show "DTS HD-MA" when playing that through the PS3 - it only shows "DTS" when I output Bitstream, and shows "PCM" when I have the PS3 output Linear PCM. I'm happy, though, that the receiver will let you analyze what type of input (3/4/0.1) it has coming in and the PS3's info screen will show that DTS HD-MA is being output.

My first impression of the Yamaha is that it is not nearly as loud as even my old Pioneer VSX-811S. Until I turn it nearly all the way up, though, I shouldn't complain. The 0.5 increments on the volume likely give a better control over the exact volume being played.

The unit also solves my problem of outputting to both my plasma and projector. When playing my 50" 1388x768(ish) plasma, I send the component video signal whereas when I play the Sanyo PLV-Z2000 1080p projector I send it HDMI. I have to manually switch the PS3 from one to the other, but at least I don't have to change any cables each time I do it. Audio can still come through HDMI when the video is coming through the component video cables. My Directv HR20 outputs both HDMI and component video simultaneously so that's not a problem, either. But the XBox360 doesn't do 1080p so I just leave it as outputting 1080i via component and if I'm watching the plasma then it come through as component whereas when I turn on the projector I see it come through as upconverted to HDMI 1080i. So I'm happy with the receiver for how I will use it - a great bargain at $366 shipped from Etronics.

If anyone knows how I can send Bitstream to the receiver and get the "DTS HD-MA" lights to light up, I'd appreciate a post (even though I know I'm listening to uncompressed high def DTS HD-MA when I decode it at the PS3 and send it as LPCM).

Matt34

Matt34

I got both of my units a week ago and am finally getting around to playing with high def audio. I'm disappointed that the receiver will not show "DTS HD-MA" when playing that through the PS3 - it only shows "DTS" when I output Bitstream, and shows "PCM" when I have the PS3 output Linear PCM. I'm happy, though, that the receiver will let you analyze what type of input (3/4/0.1) it has coming in and the PS3's info screen will show that DTS HD-MA is being output.

My first impression of the Yamaha is that it is not nearly as loud as even my old Pioneer VSX-811S. Until I turn it nearly all the way up, though, I shouldn't complain. The 0.5 increments on the volume likely give a better control over the exact volume being played.

The unit also solves my problem of outputting to both my plasma and projector. When playing my 50" 1388x768(ish) plasma, I send the component video signal whereas when I play the Sanyo PLV-Z2000 1080p projector I send it HDMI. I have to manually switch the PS3 from one to the other, but at least I don't have to change any cables each time I do it. Audio can still come through HDMI when the video is coming through the component video cables. My Directv HR20 outputs both HDMI and component video simultaneously so that's not a problem, either. But the XBox360 doesn't do 1080p so I just leave it as outputting 1080i via component and if I'm watching the plasma then it come through as component whereas when I turn on the projector I see it come through as upconverted to HDMI 1080i. So I'm happy with the receiver for how I will use it - a great bargain at $366 shipped from Etronics.

If anyone knows how I can send Bitstream to the receiver and get the "DTS HD-MA" lights to light up, I'd appreciate a post (even though I know I'm listening to uncompressed high def DTS HD-MA when I decode it at the PS3 and send it as LPCM).

Thanks Bandphan, I knew this has been discussed before, I just couldn't find it.

Taken from that link above, here is BostonMark's reply:
PS3 decodes the new blu ray codecs and sends them out decoded as PCM. Your receiver will only display the new codec symbols if IT decodes them. PS3 outputs the signal decoded as PCM. Check the display option on your PS3 to confirm that the new blu ray codec is being output. If you go into the menu while you watch your movie, you can hit display and it will show you the audio and video codecs being used.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, and as far as we all know the PS3 won't ever be able to bitstream the HD audio codecs. All the current PS3 systems lack the hardware capability to do this, and won't ever be able to. IMO, having the player handle the decoding is superior anyway. If it was bitstreamed all secondary audio would be lost (commentaries, menu sounds, etc). As long as the player handles the decoding all audio is present.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The PS3 can not bitstream the new HD audio codecs, the hardware doesn't support it, so you are stuck with PCM, which is still just as good, just no TrueHD or DTS-HD MA lights on the receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis