Which receiver brand

P

Pfar54

Enthusiast
I'm looking for over all the best. For sound, ergonomics, features, and value.

Between- pioneer, sony, denon, onkyo or Yamaha. Or if there is a brand I didn't mention.

Which one gives the most?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That's like asking who is the prettiest girl or who makes the best car.

P

Pfar54

Enthusiast
I agree it is. That is why I want to hear everyone's opinions. There has to be a reason people stay loyal to brands and I want to hear yours.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get Denon.

What is your budget?

For lower budget, I would get a Denon that has Audyssey XT. For higher up, I would get the Denon X4000 that has Audyssey XT32.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I would get a Marantz, because I have a Marantz, and seeing other people get one makes me feel more justified with the one I bought. :p Plus, my system sounds lovely. I don't know whether it would sound less lovely with a Denon, but it is what it is. Get a Marantz.

Denon, my wife, and Honda.

P

Pfar54

Enthusiast
My budget is 500-800.

I have had a pioneer 1017 and I liked it.

I recently purchased a pioneer 1023 but it is still in the box. I'm wondering if I should keep it because it only has 4k pass through. So I'm wondering if I should just keep my pioneer or get something better

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
My budget is 500-800.

I have had a pioneer 1017 and I liked it.
How can you say you like it if it's still in the box?

I recently purchased a pioneer 1023 but it is still in the box. I'm wondering if I should keep it because it only has 4k pass through. So I'm wondering if I should just keep my pioneer or get something better
Is the 4k issue giving you problems?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would make sure that I have some good speakers first - then worry about any so-called better receiver.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have owned Sony, Yamaha, Denon and Marantz and recommend Denon for AVR and Marantz for prepro (the Denon prepro is too expensive for me) but that's mainly because of Audyssey. Otherwise Sony and Yamaha are great too from my own experience.

P

Pfar54

Enthusiast
How can you say you like it if it's still in the box?

Is the 4k issue giving you problems?
The pioneer 1023 is still in the box and it doesn't not have 4k up scaling.

I have had the pioneer 1017 for five years or so.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
IMO there is no such thing as a good AVR (I have owned a few in the past, trust me). Processor and power amps is the only way to go. Don't even waste your money.

Last edited:
P

Pfar54

Enthusiast
I am really deciding if I should sell the one I have in the box or just keep it and wait to update and get something really good

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I would get Denon.

What is your budget?

For lower budget, I would get a Denon that has Audyssey XT. For higher up, I would get the Denon X4000 that has Audyssey XT32.
I purchased a Denon AVR about 8 years ago when I was getting a divorce (in a pinch, just to get some sound) it was rated at 140 watts x 7. If that AVR put out 50 watts x 7 I'll eat a broom and the stick. Gave it to my old neighbor for free.

P

Pfar54

Enthusiast
Do you guys think I should upgrade from my pioneer 1023 or just keep it and wait to get something better. I will not have a 4k tv for a while.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
What speakers are you powering?

Denon, Onkyo, Marantz are all good for a simple AVR.

IMO there is no such thing as a good AVR (I have owned a few in the past, trust me). Processor and power amps is the only way to go. Don't even waste your money.
Meh, I agree. I use a lot of horsepower though, judging from your system you do too. I end up melting AVRs haha. Heat or power related failures since switching to separates = 0.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Do you guys think I should upgrade from my pioneer 1023 or just keep it and wait to get something better. I will not have a 4k tv for a while.
As stated, it would be nice to know what speakers you own first.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis