Which of these floorstanding speakers around $2000 do you recommend

B

Big Gorilla

Audioholic Intern
I am looking at a few different speakers for around $2000. I am in Australia so the pricing for most products is more expensive than in the states. I am getting a Rythmik fv15hp subwoofer and a receiver which I have not decided on yet. I will be mostly looking to play electronic music. There are a few options for around $2000 I have
1. KEF Q900 $2,190
2. SVS Ultra towers $2,199
3. PSB Image T6 $2000

I cannot audition these speakers because of where I live. I am sure I will be happy with any of them but would like to know what people who have listened to them think of them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The PSB Image T6 is that expensive? :eek: Wow.... My heart goes out to you. All three are solid choices and everyone including me will throw in their choices and preferences. I love PSB products... That being siad, with the amount of money you are putting down, is there no way for you to audition them a head of time?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
The PSB's and Kef's are both really good for the money, but I bet each can be had for less than that price. I'd also like to add the Salk SongTower's and Vandersteen 2CE Sig II's to your list. All are better than the SVS speakers IMO.

Edit: Also the Revel F12's are worth checking out.

B

Big Gorilla

Audioholic Intern
Yeah after taxes and international shipping the price is substantially more unfortunately. I am wondering whether I would be better off getting higher quality bookshelves for around $2000. seeing as the rythmik should have the low end covered?

B

Big Gorilla

Audioholic Intern
The positive for the SVS speakers is that they are basically the same price in Australia as they are in America.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah after taxes and international shipping the price is substantially more unfortunately. I am wondering whether I would be better off getting higher quality bookshelves for around $2000. seeing as the rythmik should have the low end covered?
I think it would be great to get a KEF R bookshelf + Subs.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Bookshelf-style speakers with your Rythmik will perform just fine, and the smaller size of the cabinet will save you on shipping costs. Good call.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Of your original three, I would vote for the SVS for two reasons. First, as mentioned, your are really getting overcharged for the other two sets while the price on the SVS is pretty close to the States. Second, the SVS is big and powerful and would likely go well with your music preference. But, I also agree that good bookshelves with your sub would work fine, unless you have a huge room. Try to get bookshelves that have decent sensitivity and a decent sized driver, so that when you play your electronic music they can keep up and not distort.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
The KEF Q900 has poorly attenuated resonante modes that play only ~10-15db down. This might cause listening fatigue with some content and SPLs.

I'd steer clear of the Q900, personally. I will give a suggestion a bit later when i'm not on my phone. :)

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
No Sierra Towers in this poll? They'll work with you for international shipping I believe.

B

Big Gorilla

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the input guys. I do have a fairly big room approximately 14 by 29 ft so I am wondering whether the bookshelves will have enough to fill the room. The sierras are not offered by any resellers over here and I don't want to buy directly from overseas, incase of problems with the equipment.
Some options for bookshelf speakers would be
1. KEF R300 for $2287.00
2. Focal Chorus 807W for $1826.00
3. Klipsch RB-81 II for $1698.00
4. Boston Acoustics VS 240 for $1799
5. SVS Ultra Bookshelf for $1099.00

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the input guys. I do have a fairly big room approximately 14 by 29 ft so I am wondering whether the bookshelves will have enough to fill the room. The sierras are not offered by any resellers over here and I don't want to buy directly from overseas, incase of problems with the equipment.
1. KEF R300 for $2287.00
$2287 for the R300 seems too high. Are you in Australia? AV stuff there tend to be higher.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Of those speakers I would recommend the KEF...even if the price is inflated.

That said, the Sierras were going to be my recommendation. I think you will get the best deal if you buy direct (shipping might kill that though..), just make sure the company has a decent return policy for defective equipment...

Any options from Revel?? :D

B

Big Gorilla

Audioholic Intern
I just found a Revel distributor they don't have the prices on their website bit I am guessing the M22 bookshelves might be in my range going of US prices.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DenPureSound asked a KEF engineer who designed the R-series. He said in terms of measurements, the R-series are much better than the Q. But in terms of actual sound quality, a lot of people would not notice a significant difference.

Many people have listened to the Q900 for months and never noticed any fatigue or auditory anomalies. You will no doubt hear good & bad with just about any speakers out there. Some actually claimed the Q sounded better than the R.

Take all opinions with a grain of salt. Measurements don't guarantee how speakers sound.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Measurements don't guarantee how speakers sound.
They do if they measure poorly. ;) The R-series sounds noticeably better than the Q; this coming from someone who's actually heard both, but to each their own.

1. KEF R300 for $2287.00
Wouldn't you have to import the SVS bookshelf speakers, or do they have a nationwide dealer network now? Out of the ones you mentioned I'd definitely choose the Kef's, but please go out and listen to everything you can; it's the only way to know for sure.

That said, the Sierras were going to be my recommendation. I think you will get the best deal if you buy direct (shipping might kill that though..), just make sure the company has a decent return policy for defective equipment...
He just said he doesn't want to import. :)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The big question is where do you live ? as there could be a manufacturer other than those listed that provides shipping in your region.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis