D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Decided to build my own speaker stands that can support 40 lbs, the labor aspects of the project is not a problem at all. Which is better to used, PVC piping or wood and why?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Decided to build my own speaker stands that can support 40 lbs, the labor aspects of the project is not a problem at all. Which is better to used, PVC piping or wood and why?
I would think that PVC may invite resonance into the pipe. If you go that route, you may want to consider filling them with sand.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Depending on your design, either could be used effectively. Carpet or hardwood for the floors? If it's hardwood, mass is going to be important in prevent resonating of the stand or vibrations passing to the floor like slippery mentioned.

Either way, I would consider building a design that can be sand filled.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Thanks slippery & fuzz, going with PVC, have wood floors and will fill them with sand, I will post pics when there done.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would do an image search for "speaker stands" to get an idea of what can be done. I like the triangular approach used by boards, like these:

It is a simple and sensible design that should be stable even with heavy speakers.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
PVC can be filled with expanding insulation foam as well. Can drill small holes in the center to fill it until you can effectively fill it from the ends.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Just had a customer at work that I am building a boat tower for approach me about building him some speaker stands out of the same anodized pipe, sort of in the same style we use on boats. Should be fun. It's just kind of funny that it happens now, right about the same time I became reacquainted with audio.

I think a lot of it has to do with when people see that polished pipe, they try to think of a million other things to do with it, kind of like pvc.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just had a customer at work that I am building a boat tower for approach me about building him some speaker stands out of the same anodized pipe, sort of in the same style we use on boats. Should be fun. It's just kind of funny that it happens now, right about the same time I became reacquainted with audio.

I think a lot of it has to do with when people see that polished pipe, they try to think of a million other things to do with it, kind of like pvc.
That sounds like it will be pretty cool. You are right though. I've seen everything from shelves to light fixtures made from the stuff now. Sells for a pretty penny too.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Some hints about filling stands or tower speaker cabinets with sand.
  1. The main thing sand does is make a stand or floor-standing tower speaker heavier. Make sure it becomes bottom heavy and not top heavy.

2. Sand tends to absorb moisture from the air. Even if it had been previously baked dry, it will absorb moisture over time. This matters more at the bottom of a tower speaker than in a PVC pipe. It that matters to you, put the sand into several plastic bags instead of pouring it directly into the cabinet or PVC pipe.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
LOL...thanks to all, not only did I drop this project to the bottom of the list, I forgot about it due to my youngest daughter & son adopting me as there needle and thread to sew up there financial voids to obtain there MBA's in May.
My final words to them both was, "Quote these words with belief", the menu has changed now..."What You Eat Will Never Send Me To The Bathroom";)...There response was, we're going on a fast...lol Dad...My response was Noooo, go on a hunger strike...lol

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis