Which Emotiva amp for stereo listening?

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
The XPA-100 appears to be a competent mono amp. Is there a particular reason why the popularity of it hasn't gone up? On paper it seems to beat out the Outlaw 2200 in nearly every regard and a price point less than $600 for a pair.

What's the benefit of monoblocks? why is it more desirable?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Benefit of mono blocks is independent transformers , well independent everything for that matter... zero "cross talk" not that its a huge issue... the xpa100s are very nice, I personally have no experience with them and they will match a usp1 so its a good fit...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What's the benefit of monoblocks? why is it more desirable?
Only real actual advantage is the small size of the Outlaw monoblocks IMO.

Other than that, I don't see any real advantage of any monoblocks.

Monoblock amp sound the same vs. stereo amp vs. MCH amp IMO.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Only real actual advantage is the small size of the Outlaw monoblocks IMO.

Other than that, I don't see any real advantage of any monoblocks.

Monoblock amp sound the same vs. stereo amp vs. MCH amp IMO.

1. Ability to physically locate amplifier close to speaker to minimize speaker lead length thereby reducing losses.

2. Less noise interaction between stereo channels yields quieter operation and lower noise floor. Stereo amplifiers utilize shared component and circuit design.

3. Vibrations of the amplifier stages themselves can interfere with other channels. Separating into monoblocks helps to eliminate this common noise source.

4. There is less crosstalk (leakage) and greater stereo separation which yields enhanced stereo and fidelity effect.

5. Monoblock isolated power supplies permit least possible electronic and mechanical interaction between channels and promotes maximum linearity and stability.

6. Seperate power supplies do not rob power from the other channel under heavy loads.

7. Greater heat dissipation of two independent chassis.

now will any of that lead to better sq, I don't know but it looks cool to have a pair of amps vs a single :D ... My 2.2 evo2 system uses an xpa2 and I love that amp, audioholics {I believe it was aj anyway, in their review of the xpa2} said that it had the lowest cross talk noise they ever tested and that it was just as low as any mono blocks they tested...

I don't know if any of it makes the system sound better, BUT you buy what you like, its a hobby... And if you start ignoring stuff like cross talk or a little bit better design here and there, where does it end, why not just get a boombox or listen to the speaker in your ipod? If for the same price per watt or close to it you can get mono blocks for your 2 channel rig then why not? Just like the class a/b vs d questions, for a little more money you can do it how it was meant to be done with a amp built for home audio not pro audio, so just do it... {obviously Im tlaking under 300w per channel here...

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
1. Ability to physically locate amplifier close to speaker to minimize speaker lead length thereby reducing losses.

2. Less noise interaction between stereo channels yields quieter operation and lower noise floor. Stereo amplifiers utilize shared component and circuit design.

3. Vibrations of the amplifier stages themselves can interfere with other channels. Separating into monoblocks helps to eliminate this common noise source.

4. There is less crosstalk (leakage) and greater stereo separation which yields enhanced stereo and fidelity effect.

5. Monoblock isolated power supplies permit least possible electronic and mechanical interaction between channels and promotes maximum linearity and stability.

6. Seperate power supplies do not rob power from the other channel under heavy loads.

now will any of that lead to better sq, I don't know but it looks cool to have a pair of amps vs a single :D ... My 2.2 evo2 system uses an xpa2 and I love that amp, audioholics {I believe it was aj anyway, in their review of the xpa2} said that it had the lowest cross talk noise they ever tested and that it was just as low as any mono blocks they tested...

I don't know if any of it makes the system sound better, BUT you buy what you like, its a hobby... And if you start ignoring stuff like cross talk or a little bit better design here and there, where does it end, why not just get a boombox or listen to the speaker in your ipod? If for the same price per watt or close to it you can get mono blocks for your 2 channel rig then why not? Just like the class a/b vs d questions, for a little more money you can do it how it was meant to be done with a amp built for home audio not pro audio, so just do it... {obviously Im tlaking under 300w per channel here...
Do you ever sleep? :cool:

Thanks for taking the time to explain the benefits of a monoblock vs stereo amp. How much difference does 50WPC make (xpa-100 = 250wpc, xpa-2=300wpc)? I'd like to take the ignorant approach where more is better!

Is the bigger difference here in the power supply?
XPA-2 1,200VA with 45,000uF
XPA-100 360 VA with 60,000uF
XPA-3 850 VA with 60,000uF

I am beginning to wonder if I'm neglecting the center channel since my original plan was to drive it with the receiver. However, it's only purpose is for HT. Maybe 3 monoblocks!! :confused:

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
I heard the 804S driven by just an AVR with no sign of any issues, but it was a B&K that most likely was more powerful than the SC-55 (1.5X I guess). If you really want to hear better SQ, you may want to try out the 804 diamond. Those are really nice, I almost bought a pair when I was shopping for speakers about a year ago.
At the time I was planning on building my system, I was looking to get 683 or CM9's but came across an ad on Craigslist for a set of 803s'. After a a 2.5 hour drive to pickup, I was staring at a pair of 804s. I was rather disappointed but the seller adjusted his asking price accordingly. I ended up picking up his HTM4s center and some cables too.

I still wish they were 803s' but I'm content with the 804's. Given the price I was planning to pay for the front L/R (683, CM9, 804S), I feel like I got the best bang for my buck. When upgradeitits strikes hard enough, I'll likely try to find a pair of 803D's. They're amazing (to me). For now, these are enough to keep me happy.

B

bang4bucker

Enthusiast
Do you ever sleep? :cool:

Thanks for taking the time to explain the benefits of a monoblock vs stereo amp. How much difference does 50WPC make (xpa-100 = 250wpc, xpa-2=300wpc)? I'd like to take the ignorant approach where more is better!

Is the bigger difference here in the power supply?
XPA-2 1,200VA with 45,000uF
XPA-100 360 VA with 60,000uF
XPA-3 850 VA with 60,000uF

I am beginning to wonder if I'm neglecting the center channel since my original plan was to drive it with the receiver. However, it's only purpose is for HT. Maybe 3 monoblocks!! :confused:
hi,
if you want bigger power that can handle difficult load (sometimes under 4 ohms), you should comparing the toroidal transformer with rated power output.
xpa-2 1200/300*2 = 2
xpa-100 360/250*1 = 1.44
xpa-3 850/200*3 = 1,4166
(notice the 1 % thd in xpa-100 and 0.1 % on others)

i think the xpa-2 will be more powerful at driving difficult load speakers than the other two. the capacitance could be useful at delivering peaks/dynamics, but bigger capacitance means slower charge if not provided with plenty of juice from toroidal transformer.

the xpa 2 gen 1 which reviewed here in 2008 have crosstalk that comparable to monoblocks. i bet xpa-2 gen 2 will have better measurement. and it's dead quiet too :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

And all that translates to "utterly no audible differences".

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
And all that translates to "utterly no audible differences".
guy with the inordinate amount of posts must be most right! :eek: I'm curious to know now. What you think would make a difference when it comes down to driving a speaker?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If its for HT I would go with an xpa3 for the front stage.... 3 mono blocks doesn't financially make sense.... I would run the fronts all off the same type of amp, xpa3 is imo the best choice...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If its for HT I would go with an xpa3 for the front stage.... 3 mono blocks doesn't financially make sense.... I would run the fronts all off the same type of amp, xpa3 is imo the best choice...
Agreed. IMO, this is one of the reasons the XPA-3 exists: to power the L/C/R. Or to power center and surrounds in a 5.1 setup while something else handles the mains :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Obviously not, he would need 3 dozen mono blocks...:D
I have heard one of ADTG's speakers with and without mono blocks, and I have to agree with him though, there isn't any audible difference so far as imaging and stereo separation are concerned.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you ever heard your speakers through mono blocks ?
Yes. Been there. Done that.

Mono-blocks sound much more chocolaty and smooth on the treble. The bass was so much faster and punchier. The midrange just so much clearer.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Isn't it the- chocolaty bass and the highs full of vitality, while the mids have much more depth and richness...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Isn't it the- chocolaty bass and the highs full of vitality, while the mids have much more depth and richness...
Well, the midrange has more clarity, depth, and richness, but the highs are usually smooth, sweet, chocolaty, and the bass is usually faster, punchier, meatier, deeper, more powerful.

And the soundstage just really opens up.

And...and.... the imaging is more precise.

Yep, my speakers really sing when being fed with mono-blocks.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the midrange has more clarity, depth, and richness, but the highs are usually smooth, sweet, chocolaty, and the bass is usually faster, punchier, meatier, deeper, more powerful.

And the soundstage just really opens up.

And...and.... the imaging is more precise.

Yep, my speakers really sing when being fed with mono-blocks.
I like mono blocks for
the midrange has more clarity, depth, and richness, but the highs are usually smooth, sweet, chocolaty, and the bass is usually faster, punchier, meatier, deeper, more powerful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis