Which configuration?

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
I have two systems and can configure them in several different ways. I'll list my components and would like for you to recommend a configuration or combination of components for both 5.1 and 2.1 setups. Both rooms that will be used are huge and connected to each other.

Here is what I have.

HK AVR 3600-z (7.1 receiver)
HK 3490 (2 Channel receiver with 2 sub outs)
B&W 604S3 (Pair)
B&W 602S1 (Pair)
B&W LCR-60
Dali Lektor 3 (Pair)
Velodyne DPS-10
SSA Rumba 12 (will arrive tomorrow)
MTX SW1212

Here is how I currently have it configured.

5.1 system
HK AVR 3600-z
B&W 602S1 (Fronts)
B&W LCR-60 (Center)
Dali Lektor 3 (Rears)
Velodyne DPS-10 (Sub)

2.1 system
HK 3490
B&W 604S3 (L&R)
MTX SW1212 (Sub(

My Rumba 12 arrives tomorrow and I'm wondering where the best place to put it is, and at the same time if I should change things around? Please let me know what you think?

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
Seriously, I would like some input here. I know many of you may say that it's subjective, but I don't want to put in the amount of work that would be involved in moving my speakers around multiple times, setting toe in and speaker distance, running setup and then finding the best place for the sub over and over again. Please offer me what you think is the best setup.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would put the Rumba with the 5.1 > and then go for it.
However in 5.1, I would prefer the surround speakers to
the sides and not the rear - your choice.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Couple questions:

Which is the higher priority to you, 2 channel or 5 channel? That's where I suppose I'd ultimate put the Rumba.

Any particular reason for the split systems given their presumed proximity? I mean, personally I'd prefer using the HK3600 for a 2.1 system over the 3490 for the bass management; if you moved the 604S3s over to the 5 channel system and added the Rumba, you'd have a great 5.1 system and I'd have every reason to expect it would exceed the performance of your current 2.1 system as well. Then you could move the current HK and Dalis over to your bedroom or even sell them and the excess subs if you don't really need a second system.

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
The reason for two separate systems is so that I can listen to music late at night without disturbing my wife. You see our HT sits against our bedroom wall, so when I turn it on at night, she complains about the bass. The other room is quite a ways away, although connected, so she never complains.

Which is a higher priority? I haven't been able to make up my mind. I love movies and I also love music and enjoy critical listening. I suppose if I had to choose, I would say that my priority is music, that's why I put the 604's on the 2 channel system. However I have recently started to notice that my current HT sub flubs out with extremely low LFE. I may just try the Rumba in my HT and move the Velodyne to my 2 channel for a while to test.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Maybe a nice pair of headphones?

Other than that, I'd probably keep the B&Ws all together along with the Rumba for a strong 5.1/daytime 2.1 system, then keep the Dalis and Velo for the nighttime music system. I would expect the Velo should be more than adequate for low to moderate volume music usage. Just my 2 cents.

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated, and I will definitely consider it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis