Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 156 22.3%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
S

sukihock

Enthusiast
Based on my recent experience I'm going with my Fluance XL7F towers. Amazing how much satisfying music is produced by these to my ears of course.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't think anyone here or elsewhere knows what brand is best. After all, if its a perception of a particular sound being best would not the declaration of best require listening to everything that's out there? And even if all of us could audition everything out there, would not our appraisals be unique? Nevertheless, my vote goes for JBL. I really love my L100t3's. They are the best I have heard for what I can afford. I've enjoyed my music from them now for over 27 years.

Last edited:
T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
From that list my vote goes to B&W. Surprised Paradigm is at the top. Their build quality is fine but they make the ugliest looking speakers year after year.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
lol how is Paradigm at the top of this list, they don't even have an equivalent product line to the flagships of some the other brands listed.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Two cents.

Their build quality is fine but they make the ugliest looking speakers year after year.
Aesthetics are a very subjective judgment call.

lol how is Paradigm at the top of this list, they don't even have an equivalent product line to the flagships of some the other brands listed.
They have a physical appearance which fits with current fashion trends in decor. To most, aesthetics are at least as important as sound.

If I ever won a lottery Jackpot, I would be searching high and low to get a half dozen JBL 4350BWX speakers. That said, I know that given their physical appearance, most people would shun these: They are quite ugly. Their "beauty" is definitely not aesthetic. There's a good chance the lady in my life would not ever allow those anywhere in our home, except for the one room designated as the "man-cave". :rolleyes:

Anyways, I gave my vote to JBL. Though recently, there has been a definite decline in JBL's consumer grade speaker quality, like the horrible and thankfully short lived plasticky-looking "ES" line, but there now seem to be a bit of a reprieve. The new large models like the L890 seem to be on the right track, if they can just ditch the cheap and silly looking plastic feet and give us black anodized or brushed aluminium feet instead... The return of horns is also an interesting development. The new studio line looks like it packs serious bang for the buck, and I wish I could hear them. Currently, JBL does not have have any "snooty" appeal, and the bad aesthetics of there products is just making things worse. I think this makes them an under-rated product. There is also lot of Harman-hate going around, because they made legendary upper-crust brands into large commercial successes, and brought more "consumer-oriented" products under these Famous brands.

I see a nice win for regular joes, but some high-end, high-priced gear purists see a vile sacrilege when prices come down. Never mind whether or not the product quality changed at all... When a brand becomes "common", they just have to ditch and dis it, merit no longer counts.

When I bought my E-60s, the JBLs had a much deeper bass response, and offered a more natural sound for clarinets, saxophones, cymbals and snares, which are the instruments which I listen for when judging speakers' correctness of sound. Then when I played Pink Floyd's "The Great gig in the sky", and Clare Torry's voice just exploded into the air in way that few speakers can achieve. Dave Brubeck's piano and accompanying cymbals for "Take five" got too clear, almost "screechy" on the Paradigms, and the sound of the PSBs and KEfs felt too flat.

For my S38II's in-store audition, I've faced the same results. I don't know what kind of benchmark results either these speaker series have, but both in store, and at home, powered by a Pioneer Elite, a Marantz AVR all of the Harman Kardon receivers I have used these with, both series of speakers have brought me great audio joy. Aside from my grippe about the plasticky facades when the grills are taken off, I can't find anything wrong with them.

Just my two cents.

S

s666pts

Enthusiast
Hello. I'm new to the forum and clearly not even close to being in the same league as some of you guys and gals when it come to audio. I'm in the process of upgrading my speakers and one that I am looking at are the Paradigm Studio series. Also looking at B&W. Getting back to the equivalent product line statement about Paradigm, wouldn't their Signature Series be that? I have never listened to any of the Signature Series but I have listened to their Studio's. And WOW! But that's just me. Their Signature S8's go for around $9000 a pair, and that would be their flagship. I realize that a lot of money does not mean a great speaker in some cases. How good are the Focal Grande Utopie BE's, at $269,000 a pair? I wouldn't have a clue. Anyhow, just asking about the Paradigm's .. I'm trying to learn something... :)

Last edited:
SpenceJT

SpenceJT

Audioholic Intern
Very happy with my Axiom Audio speaker system. Still the best sounding speaker for the money.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can I change my vote to RBH? :D

I think RBH makes the best tower speakers because the towers (from the Status Acoustics T8 to the SX-T2/R to the SX-8300/R) can be Actively Bi-amp via LFE. This and the amazing ultra clarity and resolution of the midrange and treble and the lifelike spectacular soundstage and almost limitless dynamics make the RBH towers very special to me. :)

This is the reason I am selling everything to get five RBH SX-T2 towers. I will not be needing any other subwoofers whatsoever because five SX-T2 will provide a total of ten 10" subwoofers.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Best I personally have heard is Genelec 1038B. Wish I could push my budget up for them, even tho they are not the prettiest out there, but the sound!

P

poweragent

Enthusiast
Hey Gene,
I don't see SpeakerCraft AIM or MT speakers on the list. I love mine!

T

trmoore2

Audiophyte
Audioholics seems to be fairly independent in their AV assessments and reviews, but I find it curious that there are no (little) reviews of the Revel speakers. Are certain sites or publications aligned with certain companies exclusively? For under $5000, the Revel F208's are in my top 3 speakers and yet there was one preview" over two years ago and nothing subsequent. And nothing on the Salon?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audioholics seems to be fairly independent in their AV assessments and reviews, but I find it curious that there are no (little) reviews of the Revel speakers. Are certain sites or publications aligned with certain companies exclusively? For under $5000, the Revel F208's are in my top 3 speakers and yet there was one preview" over two years ago and nothing subsequent. And nothing on the Salon?
It does take a lot of time, effort, and money. Besides, everyone else (Stereophile, Soundstage, S&V, etc.) is doing reviews of every Revel speaker released.

It's probably good to do reviews on other great speakers that aren't already reviewed by other publications. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Harman may be still a little sore over this article:
Lexicon BD-30 Blu-ray Player (Oppo BDP-83 Clone) Review | Audioholics

They don't solicit us for reviews and honestly we're too busy covering companies that do.

S

SurroundSoundBruce

Audiophyte
In my opinion, I honestly feel that Polk makes some of the finest speakers in the World. Polk's mid range is incredible and they're very accurate speakers as well. So many instruments and vocals fall within or closely within the mid range frequencies. I have own the Polk LSi9's for quite a while and they produce a beautiful wide and even sound stage and they are so clean and depthful sounding. The bass that these speakers produce is really outstanding for a book shelf speaker. And as for Polk's ring radiator, in ALL respects, I find it to be fabulous and I am going to upgrade to the new series Polk. They are 8 ohms, a very easy load even though I never had any problems at all running Polk LSi9's - 4 ohm speakers all these years using a variety of different surround sound receivers and I'm still using them even now but of course, an 8 ohm version makes it more versatile among amps that have been designed to only carry 8 ohms. Also, I don't care what other so called test reviews, if that what you want to call them, have to say about Polk because I know what I hear and I hear outstanding sound. I listen to myself and not some stranger telling me what Polk speakers sound like. Polk has survived many years and they didn't survive this long building garbage. I have had NHT speakers, Klipsch speakers (Forte), JBL, Definitive Technology sub woofers ($1,000 a piece and ONE of them developed a severe HUM), Harmon Karman (Center Channel) even Sony speakers but the truth of the matter is, there were only 2 speakers models that I fell in love with and that was the Klipsch (Forte) and the Polk LSi9's as for the Polk's LSi center channel speaker, it's the most jaw dropping, outstanding center channel speaker on the market, in my opinion. As for all the other different bran speakers that I mentioned above, you could throw ALL in the garbage as far as I am concerned.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis