Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 156 22.3%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
QUAD....

The Quad ESL-63 is still sold with minor changes today as the ESL-2812...

It has been in the market for over 40 years - launched in 1981...

In sound quality terms, it is up with the best available even today... although like any speaker it has its constraints (limited SPL's, limited bass, and some roll off of extreme high end)

It is reliable, and fully serviceable 40 years after being launched - truly a legend

B

BenjaminR

Audiophyte
I voted PSB.

For the simple reason that they really offer outstanding clarity and imaging for very reasonable prices.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Bose, Gotta sell my Arendal 1723 THX tower setup. :p
Those junk towers that take up excess space....

For a nominal sum, I'm happy to drive over and take them away.... rubbish collection and all that.... just helping keep the environment clean.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I voted PSB.

For the simple reason that they really offer outstanding clarity and imaging for very reasonable prices.
I like PSB and am using their smallest speaker for my rear/surround channel (with a bit of EQ to voice them to match my mains)
Well built, good sounding, "workmanlike" speaker.

Splicer

Splicer

Audioholic Intern
Gotta say, I just discovered the HECO (Hay-co) Aurora 700 line of speakers and WOW! Color me impressed! The build quality is most excellent, the crossover is fantastic and the sound quality is well beyond it's price point in my opinion.

Splicer

Splicer

Audioholic Intern
Oh, I absolutely saw it. Two or three times! Here is my review of the 700. Not as detailed or interesting as James' review, but I like them:

Heco (Hay-co) Aurora 700 Review...in one word...incredible. If you want to skip the review and just go to Audio Advice or Amazon (fastest shipping) and buy a pair, that is my recomendation. These speakers are just that good. I bought these to replace a new pair of Emotiva T1+ that I just received for a HiFi system I was assembling. As good as the T1+ are, they just weren't what I was looking for.

The Heco Aurora 700 is a class-act. Outstanding build quality, with fit & finish about as flawless as simulated wood-grain vinyl wrap can be. The build quality is easily on-par with the build quality of my MartinLogans.

The hidden magnetic grills are just great. They go on and never need to be adjusted to be square on the speaker face.

The 'L' shaped front baffle is matte (flat) black, and it looks & feels like what a high quality material should feel like, and gives the speaker that extra nudge into 'classy'looking.

These are tall speakers that 'tower' (hahaha) over my Hi-Fi system. The outriggers are made of high quality, high strength resin/ABS plastic that the user bolts to the bottom of the cabinet using the supplied hardware and supplied allen wrench. The supplied adjustable cone feet look and feel substantial, and they are.

Paired with a modest Denon PMA-600NE, the Heco Aurora 700 sound is jaw-dropping. At least my jaw dropped. The crossover is phenominal for a speaker that costs so little. The transitions from sub-bass to bass to midrange to the crstyl clear, but not shrill and fatiguing, highs are just butter smooth from the bottom to the top. This pairing is far beyond being 'entry-level' equipment. I feel this combination of integrated amplifier and Heco Aurora 700 is the epitome of HiFi, and will please the most discerning of listeners.

I used a wide range of music for my auditioning and can recommend this material for auditioning any speaker for music. In no particular order, here are just a few pieces I used:

Jazz Varients - Ozone Percussion Group
Walking on the moon - The Police
Seeya - Deadmau5
Dirtywork - Steely Dan
Big Iron - Marty Robbins
Pride & Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn
What you give - Tesla
Blade Runner - Blade Runner 2049
Ode to Billy Joe - Halie Loran
Jump into the fire - Harry Nelsson
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Bass & Drum Into - Nils Lofgren
Two Step - The Central Park Concert; Dave Matthews Band
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Danish National Symphony Orchestra

The Heco Aurora 700 towers handled all the music with finesse, control, spaciousness when called for, and localized when called for. These are not 'in-your-face speakers by any stretch of the imagination. They aren't held back but vocals are front and center. Ode To Billy Joe by Halie Loran is an extremely fine example of this.

Bass - WOW! Deep, powerful bass in total control and pitch, the Aurora 700 does not disappoint but rather, amazes at what a pair of 6.5-inch woofers can do. Clean, powerful yet refined bass. Joyous bass! No subwoofer needed for frequency or power, bass! Smile on your face, bass.

In conclusion, I recommend these speakers at this price point as they can easily match the sound quality, maybe not aesthetics, but sound quality (no other reason to buy a speaker in my opinion) of speakers up to $2000. The Heco Aurora 700 are currently well under $500 shipped. It's too bad these have to be imported and aren't more readily available.

HiFi: Denon PMA-600NE| Music Hall US-1|Ortofon 2M Red|Denon DCD-600NE|WiiM Pro|Heco Aurora 700| Monster Core Power EXP 1200 AVU

P

prerich

Audioholic Intern
Years ago I voted Klipsch (meaning Heritage and Palladium line). However If i would vote today, it would be Harman or KEF. There are a lot of other non mainstream companies out there that do a wonderful job as well (Perlisten, Wilson, Legacy, just to name a few).

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I asked ChatGPT: What are the best standmount loudspeakers in the world

The title of "best" standmount (bookshelf) loudspeakers in the world is highly subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences, listening environments, and budget. There are many high-quality standmount speakers on the market, and what's best for one person may not be the best for another. Some renowned brands and models that have received critical acclaim and are considered among the best include:

1. KEF LS50 Wireless: These are known for their exceptional sound quality and compact design.
  2. Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3: Part of B&W's 800 Series, these speakers are renowned for their accurate and detailed sound.
  3. Dynaudio Special Forty: A limited edition model from Dynaudio, celebrated for its balanced sound and craftsmanship.
  4. Sonus Faber Sonetto II: Italian craftsmanship and a warm, musical sound characterize these speakers.
  5. Harbeth P3ESR: These British speakers are known for their natural, true-to-life sound.
  6. Focal Kanta No.1: Part of Focal's high-end Kanta series, these speakers offer a dynamic and detailed listening experience.
  7. ELAC Uni-Fi UB5: Known for providing excellent value for money with their exceptional sound quality.
  8. Wilson Audio TuneTot: Part of the prestigious Wilson Audio family, these speakers offer a high level of precision and clarity.
  9. ProAc Response D2R: These speakers are highly regarded for their detailed and neutral sound.
  10. TAD Evolution One: TAD is known for its exceptional craftsmanship and sonic performance.
It's essential to consider your personal listening preferences, your room's acoustics, and your budget when choosing standmount speakers. What sounds "best" to you might differ from someone else's opinion. Ideally, you should audition several models and choose the one that provides the sound quality and aesthetics that align with your preferences and budget. Additionally, don't forget to pair your speakers with an appropriate amplifier or receiver for the best results.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I asked ChatGPT: what are the best floorstanding loudspeakers in the world

As with standmount speakers, determining the "best" floorstanding loudspeakers is highly subjective and can depend on various factors, including your personal preferences, listening environment, and budget. There are numerous exceptional floorstanding speaker models available from reputable brands. Some of the highly regarded and prestigious floorstanding loudspeakers include:

1. Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF: These are part of Wilson Audio's flagship series and are known for their incredible detail and soundstage.
  2. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3: Another member of the 800 Series, these speakers offer exceptional clarity and accuracy.
  3. KEF Blade Two: KEF's Blade Series is celebrated for its innovative technology and lifelike sound.
  4. Focal Utopia III: Part of Focal's high-end Utopia range, these speakers offer a combination of art and engineering, delivering exceptional sound quality.
  5. Magico M Series: Magico is known for its precision engineering and top-tier sound quality.
  6. TAD Reference One: These speakers are renowned for their high-quality craftsmanship and sound accuracy.
  7. Paradigm Persona Series: The Persona Series by Paradigm offers excellent sound quality and a modern design.
  8. Revel Ultima2 Series: Revel's Ultima2 speakers are celebrated for their precise and immersive sound.
  9. Sonus Faber Aida: These Italian speakers are known for their luxurious design and high-end sound.
  10. MartinLogan Neolith: MartinLogan is famous for its electrostatic speakers, and the Neolith offers impressive transparency and detail.
It's crucial to consider your listening preferences, room size, and budget when selecting floorstanding speakers. The "best" speakers are the ones that provide the sound quality and aesthetic appeal that align with your specific needs and tastes. Additionally, pairing these speakers with high-quality amplifiers or receivers is essential to achieve their full potential. Auditioning various models and consulting with audio professionals can help you make an informed decision based on your unique requirements.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Copy/paste ChatGPT response in a post is pretty lame unless you actually comment upon it. After a while it gets quite tiresome.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Copy/paste ChatGPT response in a post is pretty lame unless you actually comment upon it. After a while it gets quite tiresome.
I assume by his 'copy & paste' that he was in agreement with the response ? Regardless, I've listened to most of those listed and own a pair(Revel's) on the list. While some are out of my $$ comfort zone they are all worthy contenders for the thread topic IMO

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I assume by his 'copy & paste' that he was in agreement with the response ? Regardless, I've listened to most of those listed and own a pair(Revel's) on the list. While some are out of my $$ comfort zone they are all worthy contenders for the thread topic IMO
Who knows what he thinks as he just copied/pasted two replies from ChatGPT?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I see this 12 YR old thread is still going strong. :D

That means I’ve been here > 12 years. Oh how time flies. :(

Really, this thread is about what people own or want to own. So just about every brand of speaker is listed. :D

It’s like popularity contest.

Not sure if it was ever discussed in the 12 YR period, but what makes a speaker excellent?

The measurements? Which speaker measurements - on-axis, off-axis, cabinet resonance, etc.?

If it has excellent measurements, does it matter if it has the best build quality or not?

If it’s on-axis/off-axis measurements, you can throw the B&W 800 series and Wilson Audio (along with some other brands) out the window.

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Would be interesting to get feedback from owners after 12 years. Like the car ads that say 97% over the last 12 years are still on the road. Well past most warranties. Especially for any powered speaker. I am in the process of repairing one of the amps on my towers. Do you still have your speakers 12 years later? How do they sound? Any issues?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis