T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
Looking to replace my old Yamaha HTR-6030 AVR. I need the standard DD and DTS decoding via HDMI. Don't need more than 5.1 capability. Looking for a clean and powerful amp section. Using vintage Hafler 300 speakers for fronts and JBL HLS-410's for rears. No center or sub at this time. Quadrophonic. Sources are Cable DVR, blu-ray player and WD-TV Live Hub.

Pioneer VSX-522-K
Denon AVR-1513 refurb
Denon AVR-391 refurb
Denon AVR-590 refurb

IF I can get more $$ I am looking at Denon AVR1612 refurb or Pioneer VSX-822-K.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you can swing it, I agree with the RX-V473

Otherwise any of the denons you listed would be great (I'm prejudice against pioneer)

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
Is Pioneer not as good? The 822 is a good deal now.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
A guy I lived with a few years back had one and I just felt it was clunky and not that great to work with. It wasn't "bad" and a lot of people around her rather like them. Personal preference though, I wouldn't pick one up.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Yam's just work...maybe not the most 'exciting' sound sometimes...but never grating....
Pretty important if your using it on a daily basis..imho

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Yam's just work...maybe not the most 'exciting' sound sometimes...but never grating....
Pretty important if your using it on a daily basis..imho
Agreed, I have 5.1 yam that's used every day now for 11 years :)
ymmv, Mac

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
My Yamaha htr6030 works but does not have HDMI. Denon refurbished from accessories4less seem like good deals if they are reputable to buy from.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My Yamaha htr6030 works but does not have HDMI.
What's your motivation to move to HDMI? Convenience, or audio quality? HDMI is handy, but with your setup, digital audio (either optical or coax) wouldn't likely sound much if any different - and that is in no way meant to be an insult. The new lossless codecs are nice, but I'm not sure that I can tell a difference on my setup.

As for Pioneer, I'm a fan. One simple reason - it was the brand of the first AVR that I bought with auto equalization. I LOVE that feature. The Yamaha that I had before that always sounded too harsh to me, but it was likely the room acoustics. The Pioneer helped immensely with that, and the next AVR that I bought was also a Pioneer. I can't say that I wouldn't love a Yamaha these days with YPAO, though...I just don't know.

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
I want a better amp section, prefer discrete. Auto eq setup too.

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
What about Yamaha HTR 4064? Not sure difference between rx-v and htr series

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
Think the Pioneer 822 is what I will get. Price is just right

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
Which one?

Yamaha rx-v471 refurb $199
Denon avr-1612 refurb $199
Pioneer vsx-822 new $229

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
Well, I think I need the SCENE buttons as it makes things easier for the wife to operate the unit. Denon has similar buttons. Now which one.....

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
A guy I lived with a few years back had one and I just felt it was clunky and not that great to work with. It wasn't "bad" and a lot of people around her rather like them. Personal preference though, I wouldn't pick one up.
I'm a big fan of Pioneer. I have two Pioneer AVR's and an integrated amp. The Elite models are anything but clunky and among the finest units available. My VSX-92 is 6 years old, quite heavy with controls that are as smooth as silk. It is completely reliable and as strong as an ox. I even have a low end Pioneer AVR in my bedroom that performs beautifully. All just a matter of preference. I like the Yamaha and Denon models as well but I believe the Pioneer provide more bang for the buck. Sorry, I thought Pioneer deserved some support.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Then by all means get yourself a discrete amp. Just don't set your expectations too high in terms of improved performance.

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
Does Yamaha use chips or discrete amps?

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
I really am beginning to hate shopping for a new AVR. I was all set to get the Pioneer VSX-822. The things that bug me about it is there is no adjusting the auto-eq setup after the fact and the ODS is just text and very DOS like. Yamaha and Denon offer graphic EQ's for manual setup. I am also unsure if the Pioneer remembers the surround setting for each input like my old Yamaha does. I am also unsure of what kind of power amp "direct Energy" is. Is it discrete, chip, class D?

My only other choices are refurb units like Denon AVR-1613 and Yamaha RX-V471.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Reviews reviews reviews.....by the end of this you should be sick of reading them..
Dont rely on any one source...

Reviews

;-)

T

telemike

Audioholic Intern
Sigh......The Yamaha RX-V473 jumped to $299 at Amazon.

After reading up on the RX-V375, it has discrete amps (70 wpc), YPAO and would do everything I need a 5.1 receiver to do. Even though it is the entry level it seems to be equal to the Denon 1612. Is YPAO better than the MCACC on the Pioneer? Does the MCACC also set EQ or just speaker level and delay times?

I really don't need network features on the reciever as I use my WD-TV Live Hub for streaming purposes.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis