Which AVR Brand to purchase

H

Hugo13

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I Live in Australia, and these are the current the top of the line AV receivers from Yamaha and Denon.

Yamaha RX-A3040
Demon AVR-X7200W

Currently My speakers are all yamaha's in a 5.1 setup.

Can anyone help me on picking the right/better AVR without being biased towards the fact that I will be running Yamaha speakers.

Thank you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think everyone would be biased to recommend the brand they feel most comfortable with.

I would recommend Denon unequivocally. I love Audyssey Dynamic EQ (for Bass EQ). I love the way Denon/Marantz components are set up.

3db would recommend Yamaha unequivocally.

They are both great brands. They are different.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
They're both going to be great. Pick whichever has features you actually see yourself using.

I believe the Yamaha can do HDMI switching even when powered off. This is the only feature I wish Denon would add.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
I believe the Yamaha can do HDMI switching even when powered off. This is the only feature I wish Denon would add.
Doesn't that just mean that it's never really off? (actually curious, not trying to troll, I swear)

Alex.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Doesn't that just mean that it's never really off? (actually curious, not trying to troll, I swear)

Alex.
No idea. I would guess, at minimum, the HDMI board would need power along with anything needed to control switching. I can't see why the audio side would need power.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
No idea. I would guess, at minimum, the HDMI board would need power along with anything needed to control switching. I can't see why the audio side would need power.
Right. Out of curiosity what would you use HDMI switching for when the receiver's off? Just to watch something without sound?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Right. Out of curiosity what would you use HDMI switching for when the receiver's off? Just to watch something without sound?
With pass through, one can use the TV audio and video without having to run additional cables from sources to TV. The assumption is that TV's built in speakers play the audio.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
With pass through, one can use the TV audio and video without having to run additional cables from sources to TV. The assumption is that TV's built in speakers play the audio.
Oh, makes sense! I've always avoided TV audio and don't subscribe to a TV provider (just blurays from netflix and streaming through different methods) which is probably why I didn't think of that use case. ;)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, makes sense! I've always avoided TV audio and don't subscribe to a TV provider (just blurays from netflix and streaming through different methods) which is probably why I didn't think of that use case. ;)
I'm the same way. Even though I'm in a condo, I've never used the TV speakers. Sometimes I'll turn Audyssey DynamicEQ off when it's late night (it leaves a gaping hole in the sound, but at least the clarity is still there). Folk with young kids might use pass through in a living room HT or maybe in bedroom setups they might have more use for it.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Out of curiosity what would you use HDMI switching for when the receiver's off?
Another possible use may be for your spouse or kids. Maybe they don't understand how to use the home theater, or maybe you just don't want them messing with it. With powered off HDMI switching, they can use the TV w/o powering on your AVR.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis