Which amp to buy in order to utilize my new cool totems?

A

aqcmiu

Enthusiast
Hello-
Please help as I am so confused.
I already have a 5.1 channels Totem speakers a pair of Hawk, Mite surrounds, Center channel and SUB and YAMAHA 2020 receiver, HDTV, bluray player.

Now I want this to be a 70 music and 30 HT.

Which amp is good to buy in trying to introduce to my current system? I want the best bang for my dollars and my budget is < 2K. I prefer Tube amps. I think I want to have at least 300+ for my two main speakers when Im listening to music.

What do you think? Thanks all :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Your Hawk's :
Impedance:6 ohms
Sensitivity:88 dB
Recommended Power:30 - 120 W

<tbody>
</tbody>
What are you missing in your current setup to think you need a external amp ?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Them Hawks are known for being very power hungry, they say 120 watts working power but there are guys on youtube that run 200-600 and say they sound amazing....

I would stay away from tube, for cost, reliability, and sound quality reasons, look into an xpa2 for the medium price, and then the xpr2 for the higher price, if you are stuck on tube, I would want macintosh or carver and you are not getting 300watts per ch with either of them brands for anywhere near $2k... A pair of Bob carver black beauties costs around $13000 and they are 305w into 8 ohms, BOB CARVER BLACK BEAUTY MONOBLOCKS (PR) at Music Direct and even his cherry 180's are around 200 watts but $8000-10K$ BOB CARVER CHERRY 180 MONOBLOCKS (PR) at Music Direct so way off there, you may be able to find a used mc but I doubt it.... I have a jolida that works and sounds awesome, but no where near the power you are looking for, and I believe their most powerfull amp is only 200 watts and they are $3000 each and you would want a matched pair which would put you around $6K JOLIDA FUSION MONOBLOCKS (EA) at Music Direct... I have the 202 JOLIDA JD202BRC INTEGRATED TUBE AMP at Music Direct which is around 45 watts and costs around $1150, but I run it with high eff. speakers so that 45 watts gets them screaming much louder than you would want to listen... So in other words tube may not be your best option, I think you will get better sound and definitely more power with an Emotiva 2 channel amp, the xpa2 which I own should get your music opened up..... Also keep in mind you are going to cross the towers at 80hz or so and let the sub handle the bass, so that will free up a lot of power....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your Hawk's :
Impedance:6 ohms
Sensitivity:88 dB
Recommended Power:30 - 120 W

<tbody>
</tbody>
What are you missing in your current setup to think you need a external amp ?
Yeah, based on those numbers, I don't think he needs an external amp.

But if he wants to get one anyway, I recommend an ATI amp. :D

Here is a great 300wpc ATI AT3002 amps for $1850 (MSRP $2500).
ATI AT3002 Two Channel x 300 Watt Amplifier - B-Stock (120 V) - Amplifiers

ATI makes some amps for most amp companies including Mark Levinson, Lexicon, JBL, Theta Digital, B&K, & Cary Audio.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
twice the power for less money, and I hear these are AMAZING XPR-2 | 600W x 2 | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifier , I own 2 of the xpa2's which are half the power at 300wx2 and they are very nice especially when you take the prices in account, I have owned bk and ati, and other amps and I have to say emo gets my business everytime now...

A

aqcmiu

Enthusiast
Lack of watts Im assuming, Im not sure. When I play my music. The speakers sounds flat, and Im not sure whether I need a DAC or an AMP or something.
I'm lost. I don't think my receiver can drive the speakers alone

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Ill bet crossing your fronts and making sure your subs match well will wake up your music with a lot more power... I used an array of f-mods and moving my speakers around to get where I wanted to be. But you should be able to cross the fronts with your avr and move the speakers around starting with the manu's recommendations... In my experience and oppinion I like the shortest most simple path when it comes to music, just go from your source to your amp and keep it simple...

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Lack of watts Im assuming, Im not sure. When I play my music. The speakers sounds flat, and Im not sure whether I need a DAC or an AMP or something.
By flat you mean dull. Are you missing bass, mid's, highs ?

What is the size of your room ? maybe you have an incorrect receiver setting or speaker position problem or a room problem

As far as needing a external DAC. I say no. The DACS in your 2020 are Burr-Brown capable of 24/192 on all chl's.

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I heard a pair of those Hawks driven by a Moon 330A
amp a while back. They sounded incredible. Your receiver shouldn't have
much trouble running your other 3 speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, just make sure you can return the amp if it does nothing for you (as I predict).

Maybe go by Guitar Center and get a Crown XLS amp and try it out. Then return it if power is not the issue.

If you don't like the sound, it's usually because of the speakers, the setup, the placement, the original recording, but usually not the amp & preamp.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, just make sure you can return the amp if it does nothing for you (as I predict).

Maybe go by Guitar Center and get a Crown XLS amp and try it out. Then return it if power is not the issue.

If you don't like the sound, it's usually because of the speakers, the setup, the placement, the original recording, but usually not the amp & preamp.
What he said.:D Dac is not the answer for sure. Room issues/acoustics are a major cause of perceived sound issues for sure and what he said.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Another test that may be worthwhile is to only run the receiver in stereo mode and see if your speakers "open up". If they do you know you can use extra power. If they don't, try the Crown.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah what they said:D Seriously try just running your mains with the 2020 and see what you think and then do what they said;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey gmichael

I always liked the Totem sound. Its nice to hear another favourable opinion on their sound despite there unorthodox design/build philosophy.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard a few of the high end Totems. They are very nice sounding speakers, but they don't need much power to do well. Last time I auditioned a pair of Element Fire, they were powered by a little NAD integrated amp, something like 60WX2. There was no signed of them being under powered. Your room size will have more influence on how much power you need though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis