kazlx

Audioholic Intern
Panasonic - VIERA / 65" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV

Model: TC-P65S1

Panasonic - VIERA / 65" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV

Model: TC-P65V10 | SKU: 9396496

Samsung - 63" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV

Model: PN63B590T5 | SKU: 9315564

I am looking at these 3 displays and was just wondering what opinions are on the differences between them. Hard to tell in person without anything actually being set up. The V10 will cost me about $400 more than the S1 and I am just wondering if the cost is justifiable based on the display qualities alone. Looks like it has media/internet capabilities which I don't really care about. I will just use it as a display for TV, movies and my PS3. The Samsung seems nice, but I figure if I'm spending the money I might as well get 2 more inches, all else being equal.

Suggestions? Opinions? Is the V10 $400 better than the S1?

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Features!!

The difference is features. Yeah ok you knew that.
The basic stats are the same, pciture size, resolution, yada yada...

Difference comes in the electronic feature set:
V10 has:
  • More Aspect Control Options
  • LAN port
  • 24p Cinema playback if you want to match up with the way the movie was filmed but I think you need a DVD player that supports this as well, if not, then it's unimportant to you.
  • More color adjsutement options for dialing in the perfect picture.
  • Certified to meet THX standards. Doesn't mean the S1 won't, just means the owners of THX get a cut of every V10 sold in exchange for putting their sticker on it.
  • Higher end sound - but if you use your AV receiver then so what?
  • Multi-format image viewer for looking at pictures. Does anyone actually use this?
  • 4 HDMI inputs vs. 3 for the S1
  • PC input for using your PC as a video source like Youtube, etc.
  • Analog audio output
  • RS232
  • Viera Cast
  • V10 uses less power when in standby mode which could save you $.25 per year.
  • V10 weighs 2.2 lbs heavier

So does that answer the question? Probably not. But look and see if those are stuff you really want or can envision wanting in the future. If so, $400 doesn't seem like much when you are spending that kind of money.

Or another way of looking at is if you plan to slap that puppy up on the wall or on a stand, fire it up and watch TV...then you probably want the S1.
If you want a very top notch set that can be dialed in to the perfect color settings for your room complete with viewing the movie in as authentic as possible just like the movie theater...then you want the V10.
Or last but not least...if you like to show up high end equipment to your buddies but will really only just slap that puppy up on the wall and watch "Wizards of Waverly Place" on the Disney channel, then you will buy the V10.

The fact that you are asking lends me to think the S1 is probably the unit for you.

K

kazlx

Audioholic Intern
Thanks...that does actually answer my question. And you are right that the S1 is probably for me. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't missing anything glaring that I didn't see. I don't really care about all the extras that are added on. Would some extra adjustability be nice? Sure, but I don't think it's worth the extra cash. That seems like the only difference that would even affect me.

ScottWChicago

ScottWChicago

Audioholic Intern
Best Buy has the 58" S1 for $1600

I am trying not to pull the trigger. New S2 models come out soon

K

kazlx

Audioholic Intern
When is that supposed to be? Maybe I'll wait to see if prices will drop...

ScottWChicago

ScottWChicago

Audioholic Intern
I read Feb.

Feb 5th

S2 Series

The VIERA S2 series introduces two larger screen sizes to the Panasonic family of Plasma HDTVs, a 58-inch class model (58" measured diagonally) - TC-P58S2 and a 65-inch class model (64.8" measured diagonally) -TC-P65S2. The S2 series is completed with the introduction of four additional screen sizes - the TC-P54S2, a 54-inch class HDTV (54" measured diagonally), TC-P50S2, a 50-inch class HDTV (49.9" measured diagonally), TC-P46S2, a 46-inch class HDTV (46" measured diagonally) and the TC-P42S2, a 42-inch class HDTV (41.6" measured diagonally). Key features of the S2 series include 1080 TV lines of moving picture resolution, which eliminate traditional HDTV motion blur. The S2 series also includes VIERA Link and the VIERA Image Viewer. Other features include 1080p Full HD resolution, 2,000,000:1 native contrast, 600Hz Sub-field Drive and an anti-reflective filter. The S2 series contains no lead or mercury in the panel and the TVs have a lifespan of 100,000 hours. The S2 series feature Clean Touch bezel,*designed to keep the TV bezel looking its best with less fingerprints.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
if the V10 is only 400 difference, go for it ;)
My name is jostenmeat, and I approve this message.

400 makes it a pretty easy decision, for me. Since, by far and away, the performance of film (bluray) is the most important thing to me, I would want to avoid 3:2, and have the 96 hz mode (4:4 of 24/film) with the V10. That alone is worth hundreds to me. Everything else is gravy. Including the much superior consumer level pic controls, getting to see THX mode, and the other goodies.

Now, for you, if you don't care about film/bluray/dvd, and say are watching 80% HDTV, with say 15% gaming, and 5% film, then you can save on the S1. But, to get the most out of the S1, since the consumer pic controls are so limited, you pretty much have to delve into SM, let alone getting a pro calibration. Otherwise, yes, the panel itself is the same.

When is that supposed to be? Maybe I'll wait to see if prices will drop...
Historically, the 65" displays from Panasonic come around August, if I am correct.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
The decision is never easy. I lean towards the V10 (someday), but then I realize the Disney channel and Disney movies really won't look much better on a V10 vs. an S1 or G10.

Oh wow, I went and looked at the specs of the S2 compared to the S1 and V10 (all 50" just for the sake of basics) and I was surprised at how much more energy efficient the S2 is. I knew the manufacturers were working on this but I am surprised at the difference. 39.5% less energy consumption vs the S1. Does anyone know if this is real or just a change in the settings used during the test? I know the gimics used for emissions testing of off-road vehicles and what was done in teh appliance industry, so I am curious to know if it is real or gimic? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Ok, I shouldn't respond in the morning when I'm not really awake...

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
Oh wow, I went and looked at the specs of the S2 compared to the S1 and V10 (all 50" just for the sake of basics) and I was surprised at how much more energy efficient the S2 is. I knew the manufacturers were working on this but I am surprised at the difference. 39.5% less energy consumption vs the S1. Does anyone know if this is real or just a change in the settings used during the test? I know the gimics used for emissions testing of off-road vehicles and what was done in teh appliance industry, so I am curious to know if it is real or gimic? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I read Panasonic is using 7.5 Lumen Tech on the upcoming 2010 Models. It means, the Plasma will produce 7.5 Lumen per watt.

As a comparison, the Panny 2009 Models use 5 lumen/watt while the 2008 Models around 2.5 lumen/watt.

Plasma Manufacturers have been working to improve panel efficiency for years. Xrox posted that some claim that efficiency can get as high as 12-15 lumen per watt.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If only they'd produce a lighter weight 73'-75" panel!:(:D:eek::cool:

As you can see, no one is reco'ing the Sammie!

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Diet TV's

I noticed the 65" Pannie S2 weighed less than the S1 and V10. It wasn't a huge difference, but 5 or 6 lbs if I remember right. Not a huge gain but still a nice reduction all things considered. So now it's only 8.2 Pannie S2's per one sister-in-law vs. 7.9 Pannie S1's per Sister-in-law.

Maybe I shouldn't be doing sister-in-law weight jokes in the event my wife finds this post...:confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis