Which 1080p flat panel?

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
Please help me make a choice.

My media room is 13' x 13', my couch is about 9 feet from where the screen will be situated, but the room opens onto my rear patio and I will often be sitting outside on the patio watching TV at a distance of about 18-20'.

I have about $2500-$3000 in my budget to get a flat panel for my media room. I was shopping for 42-46" size, and really wish to get a 1080p resolution.

I was seriously considering the Sharp Aquos 92U LCD, and I also liked the new 4665? Samsung LCD. However, it seems prices on some new 1080p plasmas are in my range now so if plasma is superior then I would prefer that. I haven't demoed any plasmas yet, so I'm not sure what models to consider.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
LCD is much brighter than Plasma and that may be a consideration if you will often be watching from the patio during the daytime. That and I just happen to like LCD better. :)

I haven't seen the Samsung but am pretty much sold on the Sharp and plan to get a 46" in about 6 weeks when my wall unit is built. But why the 92U over the 82U? As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is a 5 wavelength backlight vs 4 and removeable speakers - not enough for me to justify the additional cost.

So my opinion is go for the 46" D82U.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
IMO if you are going to watch from outside, I would go with LCD and the largest screen you can get within your budget. The plasmas to me have a fair bit better picture, but they have a glass front which will have glare spots on it from the outside light. The LCDs won't be bothered by that. The light will obviously dim the picture, though, unless you plan on watching outside only at night.
As far as your choices, I would go with the Aquos. My opinion is they have the better pic.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
Just looked at the new Samsung and Panasonic plasma panels last night. Both are 1080P, 50" with multiple HDMI and both sport 15,000 dynamic contrast ratio. They were both about $3000 each, which is only $100-200 more than the 46" LCDs.

The content they had playing on the plasmas was SD, and surprisingly it wasn't as bad as it appears on LCDs, but still had bad artifacts. The HD content was pretty nice on both of them. I wish they had a Pioneer Elite to compare to there, but they didn't.

This particular store had the Samsung 4665 and the Sharp 92U on display also, but they were in two different rooms so it was hard to compare content directly. Both of these LCDs look astonishing with 1080 HD material, although the sharp does show some artifacts in the darker shadows, even with 1080p source. Neither one looks so hot with SD source.

Anyone know more about these new plasma panels?

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
But why the 92U over the 82U? As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is a 5 wavelength backlight vs 4 and removeable speakers - not enough for me to justify the additional cost.

I looked at them side by side last night. The 82U was $2000, the 92U was $2898. I can definately tell the difference in PQ. The 92 is clearer, brighter, more vibrant, and even the blacks are darker. With 1080p source, you will notice the difference, although both have great PQ. It's a tough choice, I don't know if the difference is worth $900.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
I looked at them side by side last night. The 82U was $2000, the 92U was $2898. I can definately tell the difference in PQ. The 92 is clearer, brighter, more vibrant, and even the blacks are darker. With 1080p source, you will notice the difference, although both have great PQ. It's a tough choice, I don't know if the difference is worth $900.
What do you think the major differences are between the 62U and the 82U?

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
What do you think the major differences are between the 62U and the 82U?
I haven't seem the 62U and 82U side by side yet, but I think they are similar. The 82U definately has better PQ, I think the better black levels and higher refresh rates of the 82U will be noticable with HDTV source. However, the jump from 62U to 92U will be much more dramatic. If you have the chance, go see them and try looking at a good 1080p source (Blue ray or HDDVD).

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Did you cal both of these the same and use the same source and material for viewing? If not then the comparison doesnt hold much weight.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
Did you cal both of these the same and use the same source and material for viewing? If not then the comparison doesnt hold much weight.
Same source, but no control over the calibration of factory settings.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
LCD is much brighter than Plasma and that may be a consideration if you will often be watching from the patio during the daytime. That and I just happen to like LCD better. :)

I haven't seen the Samsung but am pretty much sold on the Sharp and plan to get a 46" in about 6 weeks when my wall unit is built. But why the 92U over the 82U? As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is a 5 wavelength backlight vs 4 and removeable speakers - not enough for me to justify the additional cost.

I was out looking at LCD's today. The Sharp ones look simply amazing. It's been a while since I looked at the store displays, but the LC42D72U was by far my favorite. Fair price to boot. Once I replace my cars window, I think the TV will be my next upgrade. Damnit that is going to take a while...

SheepStar

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I was just about settled on the Sharp D82U but all the talk about banding has me a little spooked. Now I am actually looking for it and sometimes I think I do see a minor problem.

Anyway, Toshiba has released their latest models and they look really good. Going to wait yet another month until I can see the Toshibas in person.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I was out looking at LCD's today. The Sharp ones look simply amazing. It's been a while since I looked at the store displays, but the LC42D72U was by far my favorite. Fair price to boot. Once I replace my cars window, I think the TV will be my next upgrade. Damnit that is going to take a while...

SheepStar
I own the LC42D72U and love the set. Especially for the price I paid, got it online at buydig. I am a fan of Sharp and Samsung LCDs with Sharp having the slight edge. I haven't seen any banding as some complaints have stated (just a note).

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I vote for the new Panny Viera 50" 1080p 2700.00 at BB last week. Incredible picture.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis