Where to set crossover point

S

sylson

Audiophyte
I am using an old pair of KEF 101 reference monitors with a subwoofer. The KEFs have a listed frequency response down to 90hz ± 2db. Without having sound meters to measure what is actually happening in the room (which is only about 11 x 14), would it make better to set the sub crossover point on my receiver to 80 or 100 hz, since the KEFs land right in the middle between those choices?

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
I'd suggest you try 100Hz, listen for awhile, then try 80Hz, listen and set it at the xover point thats sounds best to you. I'd suspect 100 would be best, but you may also want to try 120 just for fun. There really are no hard and fast rules, experiment and go with what you think sounds best ;-)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Sylson, for any speaker that only goes down to 90hz I would always set the xover point higher. This will offer you some measure of protection. Setting your point lower may give you a large gap in frequency between the sub and the sats and could put your sats at risk of being overdriven. In your case I would use 100 or 120.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I agree.

jeffsg4mac said:
Sylson, for any speaker that only goes down to 90hz I would always set the xover point higher. This will offer you some measure of protection. Setting your point lower may give you a large gap in frequency between the sub and the sats and could put your sats at risk of being overdriven. In your case I would use 100 or 120.
The lower limit they use on a speaker spec is generally a few db down from the rest of the range. It's better to "blend" the upper limit of the sub and the lower limit of the satellites a bit above the satellite's lower limit. This will generally provide a more even transition.

Bass starts to get directional above 60 - 80 hz or so. With a crossover this high, you're best off placing the sub somewhre between the two satellites.

Of course, play around witrh the speaker and subwwofer placement as well. this could help the blending even more.

S

simplman63

Enthusiast
sylson said:
I am using an old pair of KEF 101 reference monitors with a subwoofer. The KEFs have a listed frequency response down to 90hz ± 2db. Without having sound meters to measure what is actually happening in the room (which is only about 11 x 14), would it make better to set the sub crossover point on my receiver to 80 or 100 hz, since the KEFs land right in the middle between those choices?
I have read, and it works for me, to turn the subs' crossover all the way up and let the reciever crossover do the work. The only reason to use the crossover in the sub is if the reciever doesen't have something close enough or your using speaker level for input and output at the sub. I believe you should never use both.
:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis